No fanfare for the 50th anniversary of Pirates

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
I was hoping they would give Barbosa the boot, remove the obnoxious Hans Zimmer music blaring in the fortress scene, bring back the old dialogue in the caves, reduce all the newer Jack Sparrow dialogue (the only characters not talking about Jack Sparrow are in the auction scene and the cat guy) and maybe give the AAs some Spaceship Earth-style upgrades. And don't tell me any of this is unreasonable.

Practical Pig

So, on the merch front, there's a tee shirt, a pin, some cards, and a plastic pirate stein that they ran out of by 10:30 on the first morning. Anything Else?

It doesn't matter to my life, but ... meh.

brb1006

"Oh gosh, an attraction birthday only lasts 4 days... I wanted a year long pirate extravaganza with themed fireworks and a parade. HOW DARE Disney even try to push this event as something special and exciting for the anniversary if it isn't exactly what I would have done?!"

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Has Disney ever celebrate an attraction milestone in any really significant way? This is the first one that stands out to me, and they are certainly doing a lot more than I expected, including a refurbishment right before....
50th Anniversary of It's A Small World

Figments Friend

'Mansion' will be a mayhem of merchandise releases I am sure, if the 40th and 45th are anything to go by.
There was a lot of stuff I recall being issued..most of it Disney Gallery related goods.
'Haunted Mansion' merch sells like crazy...so Disney will release a lot to conincide with any anniversary simply because it is risk free and guaranteed to sell.

'Pirates' unfortunately they seem to have a different attitude about, despite it being associated with the live action films and selling tons of merch.
Never mind the fact it is pretty much universally regarded as one of the greatest themed attractions ever made...anywhere.

That is how the Parks seem to like to 'celebrate' anniversaries now.
Limited edition merch releases and 'themed' food offerings.
( twirls finger in air )
There are exceptions, and those are welcomed and appreciated by fans as well as those who were involved in the creation and operation of such Attractions.
The 20th Aniversary Event(s) in the Park for the Indiana Jones Adventure in 2015 comes to mind, as well of the Small World 50th Anniversary happenings.

Getting back to 'Pirates..' -
It would have been nice to have seen something more substantial done or at the very least some kind of AP Event for the day.
It is rather well known...and definitely has its die hard fans.
You would think more would have been done to aknowledge it.

Oh well....

-

Last edited:

VJ

'Mansion' will be a mayhem of merchandise releases I am sure, if the 40th and 45th are anything to go by.
There was a lot of stuff I recall being issued..most of it Disney Gallery related goods.
'Haunted Mansion' merch sells like crazy...so Disney will release a lot to conincide with any anniversary simply because it is risk free and guaranteed to sell.

'Pirates' unfortunately they seem to have a different attitude about, despite it being associated with the live action films and selling tons of merch.
Never mind the fact it is pretty much universally regarded as one of the greatest themed attractions ever made...anywhere.

That is how the Parks seem to like to 'celebrate' anniversaries now.
Limited edition merch releases and 'themed' food offerings.
( twirls finger in air )
There are exceptions, and those are welcomed and appreciated by fans as well as those who were involved in the creation and operation of such Attractions.
The 20th Aniversary Event(s) in the Park for the Indiana Jones Adventure in 2015 comes to mind, as well of the Small World 50th Anniversary happenings.

Getting back to 'Pirates..' -
It would have been nice to have seen something more substantial done or at the very least some kind of AP Event for the day.
It is rather well known...and definitely has its die hard fans.
You would think more would have been done to aknowledge it.

Oh well....

-
Haunted Mansion has always been more popular than Pirates in terms of number of fans, at least that's how I've seen it. I prefer Pirates myself but ya know, everyone's different and all that.

mickEblu

I am so glad that they decided to honor this attraction by allowing us to buy more pins, and collectible cups.

As someone who collects neither- the least they could have done was some artwork at the Disneyana, and some figurine replicas of some of the animatronics.

I agree. I was looking forwards to some high quality replicas. HM seems to get all of the good merchandise.

I don't collect pins because it would just be a never ending quest and i can't and don't want commit to that. Not interested in the Cups either, although I will admit the Pirates 50th stein with the skeleton steering the ship on top looks pretty cool.

dweezil78

I watched a ride-thru video from yesterday and they finally fixed the mist projection... yay! Auctioneer looks identical. I compared his movements with an older video and did not see any difference in regards to range or smoothness. So even if there was a change made, it's not really noticeable.

Curious Constance

I'm afraid of how they'll celebrate the 50th anniversary of The Haunted Mansion.
I watched a ride-thru video from yesterday and they finally fixed the mist projection... yay! Auctioneer looks identical. I compared his movements with an older video and did not see any difference in regards to range or smoothness. So even if there was a change made, it's not really noticeable.

What was wrong with the mist projection?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom