Spring Training, with a dash of Disney. Live.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hey Peeps, we're on our way down to Dunedin for some Spring Training, Blue Jays style. I'm kind of disappointed that the WBC is on right now, as we will be missing some marquee players. No worries, Florida Auto Exchange Stadium is an intimate little setting compared to SkyDome, so whoever we do see, we'll see up close and personal. Even better, from what I can tell, it looks as if we have excellent seats for the three games.

We're driving. Just Hubby and me. We haven't driven, just the two of us, since 1992. We last drove, with the boys in 2006 and 2007. Since then, we've flown from Buffalo every year.

But, here we are again, driving. Back in the day, we used to drive straight through, there and back. Those days are over.

The plan for tonight is to drive as far as we can, hopefully to Macon or beyond, before checking into a hotel tomorrow for 3:00'ish. That's the plan. We'll see if my hip co-operates.

I have recently lost 55 of the 65 lbs I gained a couple of years ago, so my food pics won't be that interesting. Again, no worries, Hubby eats like a horse, so there will be pics! If you know me, you know I love to post pics of my food. :hilarious:

Forgive me if I forget to tag you. Mind you, if I don't tag you, you'll never find this little trip report, so you'll never know.

@PUSH, @Nemo14, @Eric1955, @acishere, @NYwdwfan, @Andrew C, @Lucky, @trr1, @MOXOMUMD, @Goofyernmost, @ajrwdwgirl, @MinnieM123, @Wrangler-Rick, @Mike S.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
The itinerary:
Arrive in Port Richey, just north of Dunedin, early Friday afternoon.

Tampa Bay vs Blue Jays - Saturday @ 1:07.
Minnesota vs Blue Jays - Monday @ 1:07.
Detroit vs Blue Jays - Wednesday @ 1:07.

And then because we're in Florida for Pete's sake, we MUST meander over to Orlando. Now I'm not crazy, so there is zero chance that I will subject my husband to the crazy, overcrowded parks during March Break! I save my persuasive powers for our usual end of summer trips.

We really loved Disney Springs last year, and Hubby has been itching to go back, pretty much from the day we got home in September, so we're going to take our time and really soak it all in. And eat, of course.

First up: Frontera Cocina - Sunday @ 7:15 pm.
Hubby is a big fan of Chef Rick Bayless from the Food Network. I don't cook, so I don't watch those nonsense shows.

When we were at WDW in September, we didn't know that the last time we saw Wishes was going to be the last time we saw Wishes. (Happy, but sad about Wishes going buh-bye in May.)

Best way to see Wishes without entering the parks? From the Poly beach, of course. Ergo, 'Ohana - Tuesday @ 9:55 pm. Hubby loves 'Ohana. Plus, he's looking forward to seeing his "girlfriend" again.

IMG_2732.JPG

Nemo14

We like Mama's in Tarpon - they always remember us there, and I love the food. You can usually find coupons for them right out in the plaza.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
We like Mama's in Tarpon - they always remember us there, and I love the food. You can usually find coupons for them right out in the plaza.
Excellent advice. Thank you. Other than the games, we've got lots of time to kill - not riding rides.

Nemo14

Excellent advice. Thank you. Other than the games, we've got lots of time to kill - not riding rides.
There are a lot of touristy shops around there, and lots of sponges. Parking can be a problem - we generally park behind Hella's restaurant off the main drag. It costs less than 5 dollars and it's gated. Take a drive around and you'll see some huge houses down by the water. There's a cute little park (Sunset Point?) that's not far from there either.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
And we're over.

A very blurry sign. Sorry.
IMG_1824.JPG

Not my pic, but these signs are everywhere.
I may have mentioned - I love the Pure Michigan ad series. Tim Allan can whisper sweet nothings to me all day long ... as long as it's in his Pure Michigan voice.

IMG_1831.JPG

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I think this is exciting! A car trip with just the two of you. :inlove: Just keep on top of weather reports on your way down there, making any route adjustments if necessary. (Haven't heard of anything in particular, but just a reminder to be safe and monitor the daily weather reports.)

Have fun!! :happy:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hubby would like me to stop singing and have a little nap. "But honey, you hardly slept last night, and then you had to get up for the water heater guy ...."

Here's how it goes, if he's awake, I'm awake. Besides y'all know I'm often just hitting my stride by 4:30 am. (Okay, slight exaggeration, but I am a night owl.)

I really think he just wants me to stop singing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom