Pirates ride, where's the mermaids?

HowAboutDisney

Original Poster
Sorry if this has already been posted I couldn't find it anywhere, but what happened to the mermaids in the water? I was on pirates last night and noticed again no mermaids.. are they broken or done away with?

rushtest4echo

I haven't seen the water Mermaid effects active for quite some time. If I had to venture a guess, too many idiots put their hands into the water and they just axed the effect before someone axed a finger. Shame too, that was one of the few changes made to Pirates from the films that I really thought added to the ride.

Bocabear

anything in that section of the ride is kinda neat... It is a shame we didnt get a little more... Well maybe for the 50th

Last edited:

TheGhostWithTheMost

WDI tried to put MORE IN sometime in 2013/2014 without the original ones ever having worked consistently. It's amazing to me that 2013 WDI couldn't get a projector to work when 1969 WED built the Haunted Mansion. There was a small motor in the water that was to emulate a tail splashing the surface of the water as the mermaid dived back down. But that worked even less often than the very standard projectors. The mermaid effect was completely turned off during the 2015 refurb

lostpro9het

latest

They got rid of the effect when they re-opened after the last refurb.

Speaking of Pirates though, does anyone notice the timing of the cannons has been off the last couple of months and everyone sitting on the right side of the boat is getting drenched ? OR is this on purpose ?

HowAboutDisney

Original Poster
They got rid of the effect when they re-opened after the last refurb.

Speaking of Pirates though, does anyone notice the timing of the cannons has been off the last couple of months and everyone sitting on the right side of the boat is getting drenched ? OR is this on purpose ?

My wife was on the right side of the boat and her hair got wet from it.

TheGhostWithTheMost

That particular cannon blast on the right has been particularly bad ever since around July 2013 for some reason. It started to get bad when managment almost destroyed the ride by putting in those plastic boats... and I do mean that ride almost Disneyland's Space Mountained because of those new boats.... but that's another tale for another thread....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom