If I could improve Walt Disney World....

spacemt354

Chili's
I've got a question, guys...

In his excellent EPCOT Manifesto, sshindel proposed creating a whole new Festival Center for EPCOT. Taking up the space where the Equatorial Africa pavilion would have gone, this Festival Center would take inspiration from the 1964 World's Fair, complete with Carousel of Progress being moved over from Magic Kingdom, a restaurant inspired by "it's a small world", and a Festival Center made to look like the Tower of Light, with the whole thing being marked by a replica of the Tower of the Four Winds.

My question is: could something like this work for EPCOT Center and World Showcase, or would you rather the space be used for new countries?
It's funny in the Club 32 thread we were actually thinking of doing a World's Fair mini-land -- something very similar to this!

I think it could work -- but in World Showcase I wish there were more countries. It's a tough placement...but I wonder if this could go in the World Showcase Festival Center (in-between UK/Canada) rather than take the space of a potential country?

DisneyManOne

It's funny in the Club 32 thread we were actually thinking of doing a World's Fair mini-land -- something very similar to this!

I think it could work -- but in World Showcase I wish there were more countries. It's a tough placement...but I wonder if this could go in the World Showcase Festival Center (in-between UK/Canada) rather than take the space of a potential country?

That's the thing...he chose the Equatorial Africa spot because that has enough space for a Carousel of Progress, a restaurant the size of the old Oddysey, a Festival Center as big as Wonders of Life, a Belgian Waffle stand--fittingly near Germany--and a New York State Pavilion replica for entertainment).

My biggest concern is that, should they add more pavilions to the Showcase, it would throw off the Feng Shui of it. If we, much like we do with the International Gateway, don't consider it an official part of World Showcase, that wouldn't be a problem, since we'd still have five pavilions on either side of The American Adventure. But, should we add another, it would throw it all off.

I also have another question: should the pavilion count ever go up, do you think it would be wise to remove the Royal Sommerhus to make way for a new one?

spacemt354

Chili's
That's the thing...he chose the Equatorial Africa spot because that has enough space for a Carousel of Progress, a restaurant the size of the old Oddysey, a Festival Center as big as Wonders of Life, a Belgian Waffle stand--fittingly near Germany--and a New York State Pavilion replica for entertainment).

My biggest concern is that, should they add more pavilions to the Showcase, it would throw off the Feng Shui of it. If we, much like we do with the International Gateway, don't consider it an official part of World Showcase, that wouldn't be a problem, since we'd still have five pavilions on either side of The American Adventure. But, should we add another, it would throw it all off.

I also have another question: should the pavilion count ever go up, do you think it would be wise to remove the Royal Sommerhus to make way for a new one?
I'm not the biggest fan of that idea -- mainly because a New York State Pavilion isn't a country -- so that kinda throws off the point of World Showcase.

A World's Fair Mini-Land is nice, but if on the World Showcase promenade and not tucked away somewhere...it might throw it all off, in my opinion.

kmbmw777

In his excellent EPCOT Manifesto, sshindel proposed creating a whole new Festival Center for EPCOT. Taking up the space where the Equatorial Africa pavilion would have gone, this Festival Center would take inspiration from the 1964 World's Fair, complete with Carousel of Progress being moved over from Magic Kingdom, a restaurant inspired by "it's a small world", and a Festival Center made to look like the Tower of Light, with the whole thing being marked by a replica of the Tower of the Four Winds.

My question is: could something like this work for EPCOT Center and World Showcase, or would you rather the space be used for new countries?

In my dream EPCOT, this festival center would be either where America is. This pavilion would be called hub of the World, and would probably feature a clone of it's a small world (it fits much better here) and maybe a restaurant like this which I designed for the House Cup
View attachment 144605
View attachment 144604

Opening in the spring of 2020, the Odyssey pavilion will now host the table-service restaurant, Flavors of the World. Flavors of the World will feature food from countries both represented and not represented in the World Showcase. The food served will be in small, affordable portions, so that guests can sample food of many different backgrounds. Guests order 3-6 samples for themselves on average. There would be three main dining rooms, with different atmospheres.

View attachment 144606

The Easel Room
View attachment 144608

“The beginning is the most important part of the work.” -Plato

This room is the restaurant’s upscale dining room. It is in the back of the pavilion, and non-accessible to guests dining in other portions of the restaurant. It has its own bathroom, and cast members in this area wear white and black suits.

The room would feature tables with white black accessories, as seen above. The “blankness” of the room is meant to inspire creativity through one's decisions in the culinary arts and encourage guests to try new things.

Culture Rooms

View attachment 144609

“A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.” -Marcus Garvey

The culture rooms consist of five small rooms themed to Asian culture, Italian culture, Greek culture, Mediterranean culture, and Cajon culture. Each room fits 5-14 tables.

The Greek Room
The Greek room is in the center of the culture rooms complex. It is surrounded by four brick walls and has a canopy of leaves above, in order to make it feel like it is located inside a small, authentic courtyard. A fountain of Athena is the centerpiece of the room. This room has seven tables.

The Italian Room
The Italian room is themed like an Italian wine cellar. Wine bottles hang from the ceiling and paintings of Roman gods and goddesses hang on the walls. This room has thirteen tables

Hawaiian Room
This room is covered outdoors. It overlooks newly created foliage and water to truly immerse guests. From this side, the walls look wooden. A lush waterfall can be seen with statues of Tiki gods in the foliage. This room has nine tables.

Asian Room
The Asian Room is decorated much like the Nine Dragons Restaurant. The walls are painted red and paper dragons hang from the ceiling. This room has fourteen tables.

Cajon Room
This room features a wall of hot sauce and the other wall contains a mural of New Orleans. This is the smallest room by far and has only five tables.

The Imagination Room (With Figment and Friends)

View attachment 144610

“I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”

This is the largest of the rooms and features odd and mismatched furniture. Guests can see that some of the furniture is inspired by various cultures, but some are just — for lack of a better word — wacky. Figment, Mickey, Mulan, Aladdin, and Hercules roam the section during both lunch and dinner, making this the best room for families. The represent the connection between Imagination and Culture.

Menu

American
New England Clam Chowder
Hamburger Sliders
Hot Dog Bites
Pizza - Chicago or New York Style
New York Strip Steak
Meatloaf
Ice Cream

Canadian
Bacon
Poutine
Waffles with Maple Syrup

Cajon
Gumbo
Shrimp Creole
Creole Baked Chicken

Chinese
Chinese noodles
Fried Rice
Beef and Broccoli
Dim Sum Samplings
Fortune Cookies

English
Bangers and Mash
Fish and Chips
Liverpool Sausage
Steak Pies

French
Baguette
French Onion Soup
Steak Tartare
Ratatouille
Crepe

German
Bratwurst
Schnitzel
Hasenpfeffer
Sauerbraten

Greek
Saganaki
Gyros
Dolmades
Moussaka
Spanakopita

Hawaiian
Kalua pork
Mahimahi
Shrimp tempura
Chicken Teriyaki
Loco Moco

Italian
Spaghetti with Meatballs
Chicken Romano
Lasagna
Baked Cavetelli
Pasta e fagioli
Grilled Chicken Risotto
Italian Chicken and Peppers
Chicken Marsala

Japanese
Japanese Fried Rice
Ramen
Sushi Table
Hibachi Table with Foods inside Imagination!

Moroccan
Brochette
Ferakh
Mrouzia
Harira
Baklava

Norwegian
Svinestek
Fårikål

Persian
Koobideh
Joojeh
Barg
Loobia polo

Other
  • There are tunnels beneath the restaurant to allow waiters to travel from the Imagination! room to the Kitchen.
  • The First Aid Center will remain where it is.
I would have CoP be in the innoventions area (maybe even slightly underground?

BenJacobs

This is what I would do:

Magic Kingdom area:
1. More sit down restaurants. Maybe another proper Italian restaurant, something that doesn't have to be super themed.
2. Indiana Jones in Adventureland. You could walk through the Jungle Cruise(over bridges and along walkways) to go into an underground temple(where the whole ride is actually underground, so views from outside the park arent ruined), it would be a similar ride to that at Disneyland, maybe with a new storyline.
3. Elongate the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - it's way too short. It currently has two sections to it, before and after the mine, I would add an underground section in the mine. You currently enter the mine before turning left and then up the lift hill, I would change it so you go right, see the same mining operation mirrored from before, before going down again instead of up a lift hill, you would go past glowing gems while you go through this section, before meeting up with an elongated second lift hill, where you could go into the same final outdoor section. The exterior would stay exactly the same, everything new would be below everyone's feet.
4. Replace the Tomorrow Speedway. It would need to be replaced with something all electric, fast paced and exciting, yet still stay retro - so a Tron ride wouldn't work here, it's too modern futuristic, and Space Mountain is already there as a dark ride roller coaster, and it would need to be transport based(probably) or have some real connection to a retro future, maybe something like Rocket Rods(but actually good). Or the submarine voyage returning, that would work well.
5. Fix Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover. It keeps breaking down, and I really enjoy it.
6. I would create a new land behind fantasy land. I have no idea what the theme would be - include a roller coaster, a dark ride, and something else.
7. A new luxury hotel between the Transportation and Ticket Office and the Contemporary, which could connect with Monorail.
8. Remake Pirates of the Caribbean with better tech and an actually storyline(I still enjoy it now, it could just use an upgrade).

Epcot:
Epcot needs to both stand by its original ideologies, and appeal to visitors - so it still has to be about the world and the future, but it needs to have a range of rides to bring people in, ones which are related to its ideologies. I think it shouldn't have too many references to films in terms of its attractions, as thats what the other parks have, I wouldn't enjoy epcot if it were full of film related rides(a few is fine), as it would defeat the point of Epcot.

1. Test Track, Mission Space, The Land and The Seas are all great at the moment, maybe clean everything up, make everything still look quite retro futuristic, but with some modernity(small touches, like large floor to ceiling windows). I would keep all the building in the middle of future world, just clean them up.
2. Ellen's Energy Adventure would have to go, maybe replaced by a fast paced time travelling ride(indoor), as I could see something like that fitting in well. Some people have said a Guardians of the Galaxy ride, but(even if Disney had the rights to use that in Orlando) that wouldn't fit in at Epcot, it would fit in, however, at Hollywood Studios.
3. The Imagination pavillion should keep the building, but build a ride based on Inside Out, which explores the senses and the mind, but might have some sort of twist.
4. Innoventions should be moved to the old Wonders of Life pavillion, and updated dramatically, so that it is a fairly major pavillion. I would also add a large new building out the back of the new Innoventions building, which would house a lab where innovation would actually be taking place(like improving efficiency of renewable energy production, something that can be applied to the real world, and is applied to the real world), this could have a ride touring it and showing latest innovations.
5. I would add an attraction inside the old Innoventions building, it would be a dark ride with a theme that I can't think of, maybe an omnimover ride.
6. Spaceship Earth should be renovated, but the ride shoukd stay about the same, the same scenes with improved animatronics, a more reliable omnimover system, etc. It still has to look right, so not too high tech or anything, very similar to what it is now.
7. The World Showcase needs improving as well. Trackless ratatouille ride in France, Soarin' over the UK, a Japanese ride that is relevant to their culture(maybe a dark ride storytelling ancient Japanese legends or myths that could put you in the middle of the action - same with China), and an attraction at every pavillion, however small. A Switzerland pavillion could be created with a recreation of the Matterhorn bobsleds at Disneyland, try not change it that much from the Disneyland version - hopefully this wouldn't scar the view from future would, or from other pavillions.
8. The Odyssey restaurant should be renovated and made a really high tech, modern restaurant serving both quite normal, and futuristic food and drink(sit-down).

As much as I'd enjoy a Tron coaster, I don't think it would fit in the retro futuristic style of Tomorrowland or Future World in Epcot(as Test Track is already great). It could go alongside Test Track maybe, launch, loop around the test track building, before going inside in a building behind Test Track. It could, however, go nicely in Hollywood Studios.

Hollywood Studios:
1. A Tron coaster, which would fit in well with the park, as it also wouldn't fit in in Tomorrowland or Future World.
2. Bring back the Car stunt show and tram tour.
3. Radiator Spring Racers and Cars Land.
4. Various dark rides should be built.

Animal Kingdom:
1. Animal Kingdom is fairly perfect now that it has Avatar - lots of thrill rides, dark rides, and the zoo attraction.

Disney Springs:
1. Keep DisneyQuest, but completely remake it so it is extremely high tech.

General:
1. Expand the monorail so that theres an express line(Magic Kingdom, Transportation and Ticket Office, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Blizzard Beach, Animal Kingdom), then another line(Epcot, Typhoon Lagoon, Disney Springs), then loops going round Disney Springs hotels, around Epcot hotels, and around Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios hotels.
2. High speed travel link between Future World and Tomorrowland.

spacemt354

Chili's
This is what I would do:

Magic Kingdom area:
1. More sit down restaurants. Maybe another proper Italian restaurant, something that doesn't have to be super themed.
2. Indiana Jones in Adventureland. You could walk through the Jungle Cruise(over bridges and along walkways) to go into an underground temple(where the whole ride is actually underground, so views from outside the park arent ruined), it would be a similar ride to that at Disneyland, maybe with a new storyline.
3. Elongate the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - it's way too short. It currently has two sections to it, before and after the mine, I would add an underground section in the mine. You currently enter the mine before turning left and then up the lift hill, I would change it so you go right, see the same mining operation mirrored from before, before going down again instead of up a lift hill, you would go past glowing gems while you go through this section, before meeting up with an elongated second lift hill, where you could go into the same final outdoor section. The exterior would stay exactly the same, everything new would be below everyone's feet.
4. Replace the Tomorrow Speedway. It would need to be replaced with something all electric, fast paced and exciting, yet still stay retro - so a Tron ride wouldn't work here, it's too modern futuristic, and Space Mountain is already there as a dark ride roller coaster, and it would need to be transport based(probably) or have some real connection to a retro future, maybe something like Rocket Rods(but actually good). Or the submarine voyage returning, that would work well.
5. Fix Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover. It keeps breaking down, and I really enjoy it.
6. I would create a new land behind fantasy land. I have no idea what the theme would be - include a roller coaster, a dark ride, and something else.
7. A new luxury hotel between the Transportation and Ticket Office and the Contemporary, which could connect with Monorail.
8. Remake Pirates of the Caribbean with better tech and an actually storyline(I still enjoy it now, it could just use an upgrade).

Epcot:
Epcot needs to both stand by its original ideologies, and appeal to visitors - so it still has to be about the world and the future, but it needs to have a range of rides to bring people in, ones which are related to its ideologies. I think it shouldn't have too many references to films in terms of its attractions, as thats what the other parks have, I wouldn't enjoy epcot if it were full of film related rides(a few is fine), as it would defeat the point of Epcot.

1. Test Track, Mission Space, The Land and The Seas are all great at the moment, maybe clean everything up, make everything still look quite retro futuristic, but with some modernity(small touches, like large floor to ceiling windows). I would keep all the building in the middle of future world, just clean them up.
2. Ellen's Energy Adventure would have to go, maybe replaced by a fast paced time travelling ride(indoor), as I could see something like that fitting in well. Some people have said a Guardians of the Galaxy ride, but(even if Disney had the rights to use that in Orlando) that wouldn't fit in at Epcot, it would fit in, however, at Hollywood Studios.
3. The Imagination pavillion should keep the building, but build a ride based on Inside Out, which explores the senses and the mind, but might have some sort of twist.
4. Innoventions should be moved to the old Wonders of Life pavillion, and updated dramatically, so that it is a fairly major pavillion. I would also add a large new building out the back of the new Innoventions building, which would house a lab where innovation would actually be taking place(like improving efficiency of renewable energy production, something that can be applied to the real world, and is applied to the real world), this could have a ride touring it and showing latest innovations.
5. I would add an attraction inside the old Innoventions building, it would be a dark ride with a theme that I can't think of, maybe an omnimover ride.
6. Spaceship Earth should be renovated, but the ride shoukd stay about the same, the same scenes with improved animatronics, a more reliable omnimover system, etc. It still has to look right, so not too high tech or anything, very similar to what it is now.
7. The World Showcase needs improving as well. Trackless ratatouille ride in France, Soarin' over the UK, a Japanese ride that is relevant to their culture(maybe a dark ride storytelling ancient Japanese legends or myths that could put you in the middle of the action - same with China), and an attraction at every pavillion, however small. A Switzerland pavillion could be created with a recreation of the Matterhorn bobsleds at Disneyland, try not change it that much from the Disneyland version - hopefully this wouldn't scar the view from future would, or from other pavillions.
8. The Odyssey restaurant should be renovated and made a really high tech, modern restaurant serving both quite normal, and futuristic food and drink(sit-down).

As much as I'd enjoy a Tron coaster, I don't think it would fit in the retro futuristic style of Tomorrowland or Future World in Epcot(as Test Track is already great). It could go alongside Test Track maybe, launch, loop around the test track building, before going inside in a building behind Test Track. It could, however, go nicely in Hollywood Studios.

Hollywood Studios:
1. A Tron coaster, which would fit in well with the park, as it also wouldn't fit in in Tomorrowland or Future World.

Animal Kingdom:
1. Animal Kingdom is fairly perfect now that it has Avatar - lots of thrill rides, dark rides, and the zoo attraction.

Disney Springs:

General:
1. Expand the monorail so that theres an express line(Magic Kingdom, Transportation and Ticket Office, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Blizzard Beach, Animal Kingdom), then another line(Epcot, Typhoon Lagoon, Disney Springs), then loops going round Disney Springs hotels, around Epcot hotels, and around Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios hotels.
Welcome to Imagineering @Benjlufc !

These are some awesome ideas! I think you'll really enjoy this forum:)

BenJacobs

I think that a pavillion like this wouldn't work, and it would defeat the point of there being countries around the World Showcase, I just think it would be at all popular. A new country(or just developing current countries) would be more interesting and more popular, and would fit in better at Epcot - this country would have to have a ride or attraction of some sort, like a Switzerland pavillion with the Matterhorn Bobsleds, or adding a Ratatouille ride to the France pavillion, or a ride visiting sights and landscapes in the UK.

Suchomimus

This is what I would do:

Magic Kingdom area:

Epcot:

Hollywood Studios:

Animal Kingdom:

Disney Springs:

General:
After thinking about this, I have to say, you're doing well for a newcomer. I mean, most of your ideas for WDW are actually pretty good.

stitchcastle

Original Poster
So I just got back from Disney over the weekend and I find anytime I visit I always have so many things I want to improve. Chief among them: Something has to be done about the outrageous wait times. Universal's forth coming "queue-less" system might be the start of something but I do feel like something drastic has to be done as the whole experience of waiting in line for two hours at a time in the hot florida sun is very problematic.

The most immediate and obvious things to do are expanding capacity resort-wide, making park-hopping significantly easier and smoother, and, here's the biggie, getting rid of fast-pass. It may be a decent premium service to have but if you have a ride that is designed to be a people eater hampered by having two lines operating, with one significantly shorter than the other, it just slows both lines down. It's a major reason why standing in line for a ride in Disneyland is much less annoying than standing in line for a ride at WDW. Even the psychological impact it has for guests in the stand-by line bitterly standing there as the fast-pass plus folk go whooshing by in their queue is frustrating.

The other major thing I've noticed is that EPCOT desperately needs a park-wide makeover. World Showcase is actually fine. There's a very unique charm to being able to visit different countries and experience different cultures on such a small scale like that. The various festivals the park puts together always plays well to World Showcase's strengths. If anything, it needs an even more diverse selection of countries to be added to its roster. All the old proposed pavillions: Russia, Switzerland, Brazil, Equatorial Africa (yes, we need a second African pavillion to do justice to the specific cultures of the continent, Africa is more than just its animals) would be a welcome addition. The real problem area is Futureworld.

Future World oddly needs to look back into its past to understand what it was meant to be: a permanent World's Fair that was to showcase the marvels of modern and future technology. Disney even has the intellectual property now to really drive that point home. Marvel characters would be a fresh enough and relevant property to introduce guests to the marvels of modern science and engineering. While Pixar characters from Inside Out and Monsters Inc. would be great ambassadors to explore the insights of Psychology and Imagination, respectively.

Anyway I'm going to sit on this for a while and then maybe do some sketches for overhauling EPCOT. But those are my thoughts for now.

stitchcastle

Original Poster

I don't think A World's Fair type mini land going into World Showcase is a good idea for a couple of reasons: As already mentioned I think it would disrupt the flow of the specific country-named pavilions and would stick out as something that doesn't belong. In terms of the Feng Shui, those plots were always meant to be occupied by full-on countries. the only solution would be to add even more to balance it out further, which i think should be done hehe.

Second, Future World itself was meant to be a permanent World's Fair type area. I do believe that the Carousel of Progress and It's A Small World ought to be relocated to EPCOT and find anew home in Futureworld just to hammer in the thesis of what the park was meant to be.

stitchcastle

Original Poster
I personally still believe that a Switzerland Pavillion with a Matterhorn and adding Mount Fuji to Japan like they were all meant to be, would make for such a striking view of World Showcase:

DuTKMFg.jpg

kmbmw777

#projectrevival

Daily Question (April 3rd 2017)

The TTA Peoplemover is loved by most hardcore Disney fans. However, the common crowd will often avoid it, as it is not exceptionally immersive. How can this problem be fixed or does it need to be fixed?
Let's make two lines. Blue carts go on the original track. Red cars can go on a track with a small adventure inspired by the Tomorrowland movie. Each track appeals to a different crowd.

spacemt354

Chili's
I personally like the simplicity of the attraction - and that it doesn't have a long line.

Adding more to the attraction would then make it more popular and then create more lines...which there goes my walk-on, relaxing ride.:p

However if we were to enhance it I would think the 3 places to do so would be in indoor scenes. First through the Project City/Mickey's Star Traders, then Space Mountain, and lastly through Buzz and the back of Monsters Inc Laugh Floor. You could create a narrative throughout the attraction (similar to what was there pre-2009 ish) with the red line, perfect park acres, and so on.

BenJacobs

#projectrevival

The TTA Peoplemover is loved by most hardcore Disney fans. However, the common crowd will often avoid it, as it is not exceptionally immersive. How can this problem be fixed or does it need to be fixed?

It really shouldn't change, as one of the things that makes it great is the fact that you can just walk on, or have only a five minute wait. Anyway, to make it more popular, you would need to add something major, so it would turn into a completely different ride, which I wouldn't want.

stitchcastle

Original Poster
#projectrevival

I wouldn't fix it so much as to just add more things to Tomorrowland to make the ride more scenic. I personally like that it's a no frills non-line-heavy ride. I would probably put in some old Horizons scenes to the ride the way they reused the Dinosaur dioramas from the World's Fair for the Disneyland Railroad.

I'd love for the resort to invest in the PeopleMover ride system further and install it at Disney Springs or EPCOT as a legitimate, ahem, people mover.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom