Club 32 - Beauty and the Beast, Fantasyland Project

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
This is a good food for thought, but our discussion so far (as far as the ride) is to focus on four or five iconic scenes from the story without attempting to "tell" the story via the ride. Safe to say that some familiarity with the story / animated movie / live action movie would help with full appreciation. I'm very glad that @mickeyfan5534 shared this information.

Of course, I could be completely wrong in what we consider our focus. That's why others are here to correct me.
No you're right -- we're focusing on a few scenes to elaborate on. When's the last time you saw the film?

I was going to say maybe you'd be best suited to do the more technical descriptions and scenery if the movie isn't as familiar.

OvertheHorizon

No you're right -- we're focusing on a few scenes to elaborate on. When's the last time you saw the film?

I was going to say maybe you'd be best suited to do the more technical descriptions and scenery if the movie isn't as familiar.
It's been awhile since I've seen the animated movie. I'm seeing the live action one this coming Friday.

I'm good with working on technical description and scenery.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
It's been awhile since I've seen the animated movie. I'm seeing the live action one this coming Friday.

I'm good with working on technical description and scenery.
Great! I think that'll be a good direction to take -- with kap and others with more familiarity with the actual film details taking the scene descriptions.

I can help out in any capacity (it's been a while on the film as well for me) but I've been on Enchanted Tales and to the FLE recently, so I know what works and what doesn't and the style we're going for with this area.

OvertheHorizon

With this group's permission, I'd like to develop an idea that I tossed out earlier of using a Carousel of Progress-like theatre for the pre-show of Beauty and the Beast. Earlier I'd commented about two attractions Tower of Terror and Haunted Mansion that use 2 pre-show rooms before guests board the "ride." While my carousel idea might "take up more space," if we don't have to be constrained by an existing space, perhaps I could make it work. I also want to think about whether what I'm suggesting would mean 3 pre-show theatres on a carousel, or more.

Also, having said that... I'd like to give myself a deadline of FRIDAY to share my ideas. I'm a writer, working on a new novel, and don't want to take time away from that.

FigmentPigments

With this group's permission, I'd like to develop an idea that I tossed out earlier of using a Carousel of Progress-like theatre for the pre-show of Beauty and the Beast. Earlier I'd commented about two attractions Tower of Terror and Haunted Mansion that use 2 pre-show rooms before guests board the "ride." While my carousel idea might "take up more space," if we don't have to be constrained by an existing space, perhaps I could make it work. I also want to think about whether what I'm suggesting would mean 3 pre-show theatres on a carousel, or more.

Also, having said that... I'd like to give myself a deadline of FRIDAY to share my ideas. I'm a writer, working on a new novel, and don't want to take time away from that.
I can't wait to see this!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

Awesome! Looking forward to it!

OvertheHorizon

upload_2017-3-14_21-14-15.png

Here is my concept for the pre-show to the Beauty and the Beast attraction. It would utilize a carousel of four theaters arranged in a “donut” which revolves around a fixed stage area. Except for the top row – to accommodate wheelchairs and motorized chairs – the rows of seats would be on a slight incline to afford maximum view. The entire pre-show experience (from load to exit) would take 12 minutes, with the theaters rotating counterclockwise.

This design presumes a ride capacity of approximately 2,400 guests per hour (40 guests boarding ride vehicles per minute). For reference, the Little Mermaid ride at Magic Kingdom has a 2,200 capacity per hour.

The queue would bring guests to the entry doors for what is indicated as theater #1 on the drawing. After the guests take their seats, there would be a short intro before the theater begins to rotate to the next stage position. (Theater #4 would then be in the “load” position and it would fill up, etc.). All four of the theaters would be in continuous use.

The carousel would rotate a quarter-turn every three (3) minutes, exposing the guests to a new portion of the pre-show. After the guests have rotated to the 4th stage position, that portion of the show would also be short, and guests would then exit to the ride.

As shown on the design, each row of seating would be a spacious 36” with the top row even more spacious to accommodate wheelchairs. The depth of each theater would be approximately 30’ from stage to back wall.

Although I want to give a lot more thought to the pre-show (possibly waiting until I see the live action Beauty and the Beast movie this Friday), for the pre-show part 1, I’m envisioning a large-scale gilded book, a drawing of the Beast’s castle on the left side and the words “Once upon a time…” on the right side. In the short introductory segment at position #1, I would utilize rear projection technology to change the words/pictures on the book.

Pre-show part two, would continue the book theme, with video screens providing a more dynamic presentation and an AA figure of Cogsworth to provide narration.

Pre-show part three, would once again continue the book, with Mrs. Potts and Chip there to narrate.

In the final pre-show scene, I’m thinking Lumiere would appear with the representation of the rose with the falling petals, which is certainly the looming timekeeper of the story.
upload_2017-3-14_21-14-15.png

I look forward to your reactions/comments/suggestions – more about the concept of using the revolving theater, since the pre-show itself is still only a glimmer in my mind.

OvertheHorizon

NOTE: I was originally going to have the "theater #1" position as both the load and unload area. But then I figured that after people became familiar with the attraction, those anxious to just do the "ride" would enter the theater and immediately follow those who were exiting into the queue for the ride (in the same way that a lot of people used to by-pass the movie in the Norway pavilion).

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
View attachment 193911
Here is my concept for the pre-show to the Beauty and the Beast attraction. It would utilize a carousel of four theaters arranged in a “donut” which revolves around a fixed stage area. Except for the top row – to accommodate wheelchairs and motorized chairs – the rows of seats would be on a slight incline to afford maximum view. The entire pre-show experience (from load to exit) would take 12 minutes, with the theaters rotating counterclockwise.

This design presumes a ride capacity of approximately 2,400 guests per hour (40 guests boarding ride vehicles per minute). For reference, the Little Mermaid ride at Magic Kingdom has a 2,200 capacity per hour.

The queue would bring guests to the entry doors for what is indicated as theater #1 on the drawing. After the guests take their seats, there would be a short intro before the theater begins to rotate to the next stage position. (Theater #4 would then be in the “load” position and it would fill up, etc.). All four of the theaters would be in continuous use.

The carousel would rotate a quarter-turn every three (3) minutes, exposing the guests to a new portion of the pre-show. After the guests have rotated to the 4th stage position, that portion of the show would also be short, and guests would then exit to the ride.

As shown on the design, each row of seating would be a spacious 36” with the top row even more spacious to accommodate wheelchairs. The depth of each theater would be approximately 30’ from stage to back wall.

Although I want to give a lot more thought to the pre-show (possibly waiting until I see the live action Beauty and the Beast movie this Friday), for the pre-show part 1, I’m envisioning a large-scale gilded book, a drawing of the Beast’s castle on the left side and the words “Once upon a time…” on the right side. In the short introductory segment at position #1, I would utilize rear projection technology to change the words/pictures on the book.

Pre-show part two, would continue the book theme, with video screens providing a more dynamic presentation and an AA figure of Cogsworth to provide narration.

Pre-show part three, would once again continue the book, with Mrs. Potts and Chip there to narrate.

In the final pre-show scene, I’m thinking Lumiere would appear with the representation of the rose with the falling petals, which is certainly the looming timekeeper of the story.
View attachment 193911
I look forward to your reactions/comments/suggestions – more about the concept of using the revolving theater, since the pre-show itself is still only a glimmer in my mind.
I really enjoy this from start to finish.

It's a dynamic pre-show and gives life to to the story-telling (and it also calls back to the 1964 Worlds's Fair a bit as well) with the rotating theater.

My questions really are about the timing of the load/unloads. If there are 4 "scenes" (with the first and last being short scenes) and if each segment is 3 mins, I just wonder how fast people can file in and out of the theater. I'm actually going to look up now what the cycle time is for Carousel of Progress...I'm curious.

But overall -- fantastic start to this project!:D

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Times could be adjusted. I started with what would ideally be the hourly capacity. I also realize this is "blue sky" but I was trying not to have the overall diameter to be unmanageable.
No I think you've thought this out really well -- even for a blue sky project, the practicality of this in terms of detail, efficacy, and efficiency is very impressive!

OvertheHorizon

No I think you've thought this out really well -- even for a blue sky project, the practicality of this in terms of detail, efficacy, and efficiency is very impressive!
I should probably research how much time is necessary for filling a 120 seat theater. I wouldn't want an operator to have to "stop" the continuous motion of the theater because people couldn't get seated or out in time.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I should probably research how much time is necessary for filling a 120 seat theater. I wouldn't want an operator to have to "stop" the continuous motion of the theater because people couldn't get seated or out in time.
CoP is 240 guests per theater -- so yours would be exactly half of that

(from allears.net)
Number of Animated Acts: 4
Number of Stages: 6
Theater Capacity: 240 guests
Theaters: 6
Weight of Carousel: 375 tons

OvertheHorizon

The total run time of CoP is 20:45 mins

So 20.75 / 6 = approx 3 mins 45 secs per "scene" and load/unload time for 240 guests
There is "narration" in both the load and unload theaters, so people would not be given that entire time to sit/leave.

Also, in my drawing I'm showing individual seats (because that's what I was able to find and copy), but the seating could just as easily be padded bench style seating where people "slide" across. ;)

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
There is "narration" in both the load and unload theaters, so people would not be given that entire time to sit/leave.

Also, in my drawing I'm showing individual seats (because that's what I was able to find and copy), but the seating could just as easily be padded bench style seating where people "slide" across. ;)
Ha that'd be a good remedy.

And yeah the CoP narrator (who narrates the film "A Christmas Story" too:p) probably talks for a good 45 secs in both the intro and exit portions of CoP -- so assume 3 mins or so

Basically I think I answered my own question -- you should be good with your unload/load times!

@FigmentPigments @Brer Oswald @MA Screamin' you all have any other feedback for Horizon?:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom