Rare Concept Art Found for Disneyland Atlantis Expedition

CHOX

I remember going through the angler fish room and the work lights were on. Its just a large room with plastic fish suspended from above. Its like they intended them to move but the mechanism was broken. There was even trash on the ground!

So there IS trash? Last time I went, it looked like a couple burger wrappers and soda bottles were there.

That's actually one of my favorite parts of the ride, but only because it's a "real animatronic" suspended in water.

Does anyone know which rooms are actually wet scenes? I know the turtles are, angler fish, and I think the graveyard of lost ships. I remember a 2007 era rumor that some of the lost ships were salvaged from the prior ride, but I have a hard time believing they would have been show worthy.

Curious Constance

I went last night. I hadn't seen MSEP and RDCT since they returned. Main St. was basically full by 7PM. At 8PM they announced the entire parade route full. I left. I may not ever see them again because DL is absolute madness and even as an AP with plenty of time to camp out if I so choose. It's not worth it.

On a side note the backside of the Guardian's tower looks like a woman of a certain age, trying to look 20 years younger and get noticed by going way overboard on makeup and jewelry.

I think our only hope in June will be to take advantage of any of those dining packages they offer which gives you preferred viewing.

ght

That Cayman Islands sub wasn't really a submarine. It's more of a boat with a submerged viewing area. They have that at Catalina. It's pretty fun to watch them feed the fish in the diving area.

http://www.catalinaadventuretours.com/tours/ocean-excursions/semi-submarine-the-nautilus
The Atlantis subs are actual subs, unless the Cayman one is different than the ones in Hawaii. The one at the Hilton in Waikiki goes down about 150 ft and looks at sunken boats and planes used to make an artificial reef, which is pretty cool to see.

On the subject of the concept art, it would have been amazing though I am having trouble picturing exactly what it would have looked like with a volcano in that spot (not saying it would be bad, just trying to picture it).

D

Deleted member 107043

On the subject of the concept art, it would have been amazing though I am having trouble picturing exactly what it would have looked like with a volcano in that spot (not saying it would be bad, just trying to picture it).

It would have looked very odd with the Matterhorn nearby.

TP2000

It would have looked very odd with the Matterhorn nearby.

Yeah. But to be fair, a tropical lagoon with atomic submarines has always looked odd right next to the Swiss Matterhorn. Plus Monorail trains looping over and around, because Alweg. And a couple of pretty co-eds in mermaid fishtails. Also note the Skyway going through the middle, and that Richfield Oil eagle soaring on the right.

What's the story they are telling here again??? It's all so confusing.

16126522442_922ec98d56.jpg

Seriously, Walt, how much Gin were you putting into the water coolers at the Imagineering offices?

D

Deleted member 107043

Yeah. But to be fair, a tropical lagoon with atomic submarines has always looked odd right next to the Swiss Matterhorn. Plus Monorail trains looping over and around, because Alweg. Plus a couple of pretty co-eds in mermaid fishtails. Also note the Skyway going through the middle, and that Richfield Oil eagle soaring on the right.

What's the story they are telling here again??? It's all so confusing.

16126522442_922ec98d56.jpg

Seriously, Walt, how much Gin were you putting into the water coolers at the Imagineering offices?

Oh for sure! I wasn't suggesting that a volcanic landscape next to the Matterhorn would be an issue. My statement was mostly about competing scales of two mountains adjacent to each other. You could put Big Thunder next to the Matterhorn, but the scale sure would look weird.

Last edited by a moderator:

DABIGCHEEZ

Very interesting. And compare the poster that Phruby posted to the original attraction's poster from 1959. Clever:

View attachment 193315

Disney did go on to produce this for The Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands experience. The interior layout is two porthole-facing benches:

View attachment 193316

Which you can see in the slideshow at this link:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/port-adventures/grand-cayman-atlantis-submarine-expedition/

Disney did not produce the Atlantis subs. The are owned and run by a separate company. They have them at many different locations around the world. I have been on one in Aruba and I think either Cancun or Cozemel. They do submerge to varying depths and are not just a surface floating vessel where you go down a flight of stairs to the seats.

Practical Pig

Disney did not produce the Atlantis subs. The are owned and run by a separate company. They have them at many different locations around the world. I have been on one in Aruba and I think either Cancun or Cozemel. They do submerge to varying depths and are not just a surface floating vessel where you go down a flight of stairs to the seats.

Thanks for the info.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom