No more hammocks at the Polynesian

captainkidd

Original Poster
Just found this out. Wow. A resort themed to the South Seas and Hawaii with no hammocks on the beach. That was one of my favorite things to do at the Polynesian. Lie between 2 palm trees on the beach. Why was it necessary to remove them?

Tuvalu

The beach got much smaller when then the bungalows were added. Trees were removed. There are very few chairs on the beach now as well.

captainkidd

Original Poster
I would love to see pictures of the former Tahiti beach. Unfortunately, we rented points and there is no availability at the Grand Floridian Villas. I'm almost considering a Bay Lake Tower studio.

21stamps

I would love to see pictures of the former Tahiti beach. Unfortunately, we rented points and there is no availability at the Grand Floridian Villas. I'm almost considering a Bay Lake Tower studio.

My favorite spot in all of WDW was the beach in front of Luau Cove. It's all very different now.

GF's beach. No chairs, no swings, no hammocks.
No better than Poly's.
IMG_7020.JPG

IMG_6371.JPG

21stamps

The "beaches" are wastelands these days. Between expansion and alligator threats on top of not being able to swim or wade... They've been reduced to just props or a background. It's sad.

I'm ok with being at a beach where I can't swim.
The fence is what it is, and that's not going away...Fine, But at least give us back the chairs, swings, and hammocks.

21stamps

Wow, this place has gone down the toilet. :(

Here is what paradise used to look like:

Polynesian-Resort-at-Disney-World-back-in-1971.jpg

That's the Poly that started my obsession. :(
The swimming changed a long time ago though, nothing to do with alligators.
I'm so glad that I was able to stay at Poly as well as visit River Country during my youth.

I still love it now though...even with the changes.

DougK

Smallest studios of the monorail resorts.
No theme.
1 bathroom. Poly and GF have 2.

Poly and GF do NOT have 2 bathrooms! Any hotel room with 1 toilet has 1 bathroom! Just because they have an extra shower does not mean they have an extra bathroom.

Last edited:

squidward

Poly and GF do NOT have 2 bathrooms! Any room with 1 toilet has 1 bathroom! Just because they have an extra shower does not mean they have an extra bathroom.

I'll take 2 showers and 2 sinks any day over 1 of each. Just means your family can get ready twice as fast.

squidward

What I don't understand is why they took down so many trees and got rid of the swings and hammocks. The fence, I get it. Eh, what's the difference? In a decade there won't be any hotel rooms left. It'll all be DVC.

DougK

I'll take 2 showers and 2 sinks any day over 1 of each. Just means your family can get ready twice as fast.

Obviously 2 showers and sinks are better than 1, who would argue with that? But it should not be called a second bathroom if it doesn't also have a second toilet.

The Empress Lilly

Obviously 2 showers and sinks are better than 1, who would argue with that? But it should not be called a second bathroom if it doesn't also have a second toilet.
I'd rather have a second toilet.

You can always go out without a shower for a few days, but without a toilet you have to open a window while any passers by must hope your room looks out over some bushes rather than a walking path.

jlsHouston

I have really mixed feelings over what has happened with the beaches. I get the ropes to limit access to the water and feel like it was actually too late coming. I don't get how the sandy beaches have turned into landscaping though rather than a place to relax. Obviously POLY expansion with the bungalows took alot away at that resort. My feeling is there's a pretty significant gator issue in the bodies of water at WDW still and making the beaches less hospitable and inviting play a big part in the changes.

CRO-Magnum

People forget that Seven Seas Lagoon is man made, and therefore it's entirely reasonable to expect Disney to get off their lazy arses, get creative, and do something about it. One idea: reconfigure the Poly layout so the watercraft rentals and such are closest to the TTC and the beach is closest to GF. Then redesign the lake and beaches so there's a zero visibility barrier between the two from the Poly to GF. One side is the lake, the other side is a new Typhoon Lagoon type pool. Use islands, wetlands and shallows to keep craft from getting too close on the lake side, while from the Lagoon side you'd have no idea, other than water color, that it's actually two different bodies of water. Then you can return to the wonder days of letting people lay on the beach, go into the water, and God forbid, ENJOY IT ALL!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom