Disney's producing a live-action Beauty and the Beast movie

Princess Leia

Wowww. The beasts new song sung by Josh Groban.

I'm really curious now to hear Dan Stevens's version. It's Josh Groban, so of course it sounds great. :)

Part of me is wondering if this is going to be a 'If I Never Knew You' situation (which is my favorite song from Pocahontas, and it was cut from the movie - I have very strong feelings about it lol). The reason that song was cut was that small children in the preview audiences were getting bored. Disney took that info and cut it- even though the song could be heard instrumentally throughout the film whenever Pocahontas & John Smith were together, plus there was the pop version used in the end credits.

I think it's way too late to cut 'Evermore' from the movie, but I'm wondering if this was the right placement. I promise I won't go on another 'If I Can't Love Her' vs 'Evermore' rant. ;) (I just like the former better)

DonaldDoleWhip

With only 9 days until Thursday night previews, I have to say I'm truly pumped for this. The trailer is beautifully arranged (particularly from 1:36 onward), and given how well-received some of the more recent live action remakes were (none of which I actually saw - no interest in them), I'm expecting this to be an incredible movie experience. Maybe a little too much CGI for my taste but I'll live.

Rjones1325

https://rendyreviews.com/movies//beauty-and-the-beast-review

Though her voice doesn’t dominate over Paige O’ Hara’s, Emma Watson’s portrayal of Belle is damn near perfect. She’s not the animated Belle, she’s Emma Watson Belle which is, the best Belle we need in 2017. She’s the Belle that girls should look up to today. When she takes her father’s place as the Beast’s prisoner, she doesn’t just sit in her room, she’s already attempting to escape the castle Robin Hood style. She’s independent, smart, kind, and headstrong as hell similar to Emma Watson herself.

The song I was ready to see come to life more than anything was “Gaston”. Out of all the songs in Beauty and the Beast, "Gaston" was my personal favorite. It’s the best villain song of all time for me so Condon and Gad had some big shoes to fill. After seeing it, I realized that it’s not the original redone but is its own version and I still love it. Gad is able to not only hit the right notes manages to go above and beyond with his high bars, his charm, and his charisma. It doesn’t matter if his character is gay or not, Gad’s Lefou constantly steals the show. We are given the Josh Gad that made us love him from not Frozen, but The Book of Mormon. His performance here is the reason why he was nominated for a Tony back in 2011. His singing voice and his comedic timing are both so on point that it makes me completely forgive him for annoying the crap out of me in Pixels.

Princess Leia

https://www.buzzfeed.com/arianelange/justice-for-snow-dogs?utm_term=.ohrpoomLV#.xipzRRXW8
As someone mentioned in the comments, Haunted Mansion also had an interracial kiss.
And to go back to the animated movies, Pocahontas & The Hunchback of Notre Dame also featured interracial kisses.

Bill Condon needs to step away from the cameras and radios for a bit. Between this and extremely exaggerating LeFou's sexuality, it's sort of embarassing.

Princess Leia

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/beauty_and_the_beast_2017/ I expect this to change (I think the percentage will rise a bit) before the weekend, but Beauty and the Beast is currently at 69% on Rotten Tomatoes.

To compare, here are the ratings for other Disney live-action remakes:
  • Alice in Wonderland- 52%
  • Maleficent- 50% (though the audience rating is 71%)
  • Cinderella- 83%
  • Alice Through the Looking Glass- 30%
  • Jungle Book- 95%
  • Pete's Dragon- 87%
edited to include Pete's Dragon

Last edited:

Sped2424

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/beauty_and_the_beast_2017/ I expect this to change (I think the percentage will rise a bit) before the weekend, but Beauty and the Beast is currently at 69% on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Cinderella- 83%
  • Jungle Book- 95%
It's at 70 now.

Californian Elitist

• Cinderella- 83%
  • Jungle Book- 95%
  • Pete's Dragon- 87%
edited to include Pete's Dragon

I never bother with Rotten Tomatoes, IMDb ratings, or anything else similar. Some of my favorite and well-loved films have low ratings and poor reviews, and vice versa. In my opinion, there's no way Cinderella and The Jungle Book deserve those ratings listed above. They're both mediocre films, at best. Maleficent deserves a lower score as well.

I'm going to go and see the movie. Hopefully I'll enjoy it. The Lord knows Disney's live-action films have been failing me for quite some time now, since 2004.

Princess Leia

I never bother with Rotten Tomatoes, IMDb ratings, or anything else similar. Some of my favorite and well-loved films have low ratings and poor reviews, and vice versa. In my opinion, there's no way Cinderella and The Jungle Book deserve those ratings listed above. They're both mediocre films, at best. Maleficent deserves a lower score as well.

I'm going to go and see the movie. Hopefully I'll enjoy it. The Lord knows Disney's live-action films have been failing me for quite some time now, since 2004.
Oh I really liked Cinderella and Jungle Book. I went into Cindy with low expectations, and really enjoyed the movie. RT is better than IMDb, IMO, because it shows both the critical and audience ratings. I don't think there's really a good way to rate movies (like you, I also have my favorite poorly received movies), but Rotten Tomatoes is probably the best thing there is at the moment.

Even if the average review amounts to a C+ or B-, this movie is going to be commercially successful.

Princess Leia

The lyric changes are throwing me off :grumpy: I'm seeing this tomorrow (friend won free tickets), and I feel like a part of my mind is going to be majorly disoriented. It's not a bad thing, changing the lyrics and all, but was it necessary? (side note- if anyone mishears one of LeFou's lyrics in 'Gaston', let me know, because I heard something vastly different than "No one's neck is as incredibly thick as Gaston's")

IMO, Josh Gad and Audra are so far winning my "Who were the most appropriately cast people?" competition in my head. Luke sounds like he's a little too much of a tenor for Gaston's character (I think he's a bari in the musical), and Emma's singing is nice, but nothing spectacular (Also- if anyone can find the full soundtrack on Google, I would love them forever; I can't find it).

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom