The Official Gay Days Trip Planning Thread

BuddyThomas

Hi All -

There have been years and years of Gay Days threads not being allowed on here because they apparently always got so ugly. I understand that people have strong feelings on this issue, but on the other hand, things have progressed and I hope minds have been opened.

With that in mind, I have been in touch with @The Mom and I have been approved to post the first official Gay Days thread. Whoo-hooo!

So, here's the deal. This is meant to be a very respectful thread, meant specifically for trip planning -@The Mom will be watching it, and any posts debating the "appropriateness" of the event will be deleted. This is meant to be a thread for sharing information about the event with others who are interested in attending it, not a place to air opinions about the LBGT community.

I totally understand if you have issues with this event, because I have issues with a lot of stuff going on currently in this country as well, but those things can be discussed/argued on Facebook, Newsvine, and endless other places. This thread is for planning and info sharing only. Please respect this. It is kind of historic that WDW Magic is allowing this to proceed and I hope no one ruins it.

With that said, let's dive right in. Here are the dates this year, 2017:

Thursday June 1 - Animal Kingdom
Friday, June 2 - Hollywood Studios (some are going to Uni instead this day)
Saturday June 3 - Magic Kingdom
Sunday June 4 - EPCOT

I actually don't even have a trip booked yet, and if anyone has read any of my trips reports, you will know why. Blocked by Phil!!! But I might just do a trip anyway.

First issue that I think is up for discussion is that since Avatar opens in late May at AK, do you think that is going to make this particular weekend more crowded than ever? I assume so, but I welcome any thoughts.

And of course, let's all discuss the entire event. All are welcome here, so long as there is no trolling or disparaging comments. We're all people. We all love Disney or we would not be here. So let's please respect each other and prove to the mods that this thread is not going to trigger the end of the world. ;)

Let's go.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It should be noted that "Gay Days" is not run by Disney. It is a 3rd party organization that sets up a convention for the LGTBQ community in Orlando (and other places). On each day of the convention it names two parks (one Disney and one Universal or SeaWorld) as a recommendation for its members to attend. They use off-site hotels for their meetings.

There is another organization that piggy-backs off of Gay Days to arrange private after-hours parties at a Disney park (last year there was one at the France pavilion after hours). Any organization can rent Disney parks for after hours parties/events. Disney has a whole departments (Disney Events) to make such things happen.

So, Gay Days is not run by Disney. Gay Days convention meetings are not on Disney sites. After hour parties are after hours and have no impact on guests, just like the hundreds and hundreds of corporate events and weddings that happen in the park year round.

If you wish to attend Gay Days or the 4th party after hours events, you'll need to go to their web sites, and not Disney's.

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

Woo hoo!

The last two times I went were years ago.

This time, we can only go on the 1st and 2nd, because our summer blackout dates begin on the 3rd. However, I presume we can still go to the after hours without park tix (?)

If not, my fave after hours is the Beach Ball at Typhoon Lagoon (a cheap park ticket compared to most.) A bar, a DJ, a water slide, and a few thousand close friends - who could ask for anything more?

Hmmm...not ruling it out. Maybe a WDWmagic meetup?

Upvote 0

righttrack

Shame you had a hard time with threads in the past. I've been to the parks during gay days with my wife and kids. Of all the "groups" who attend WDW at different times of the year that we have been around over the years, these were the easiest to be around.

As for Avatar, so many people saw the movie. The second biggest box office ever in the U.S. You can probably expect people who delayed their trips at least to coincide with opening. You've also got locals that time of year with kids out of school, so yeah. Lots of nerdy types like myself too interested. Have fun!

Upvote 0

Tony the Tigger

I guess I should try and attend this year. Seeing as how I live in Orlando, I have no excuse ;) I've never been before so I'll be watching this thread :D

Honestly, when I went, it was hot and crowded - but I can see the appeal if you're single! (Kinda like "the club" on a weekend lol.)

If I go back, I'd focus more on the night time events, especially the Beach Ball.

Upvote 0

BuddyThomas

Original Poster
Honestly, when I went, it was hot and crowded - but I can see the appeal if you're single! (Kinda like "the club" on a weekend lol.)

If I go back, I'd focus more on the night time events, especially the Beach Ball.
Ahhh, when it was called Beach Ball, it was so fun. Very down to earth and unpretentious. Now it is called Riptide and it's mobbed with vapid circuit boys. Hey it's still a water park at night with cocktails and all the rides and slides running, so I'm not complaining too much, but it's kind of not what it used to be. Plus now it is $90.00 to get in plus a $13.00 service fee. On the other hand, that gets you a 7 hour event. 7PM - 2AM.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Ahhh, when it was called Beach Ball, it was so fun. Very down to earth and unpretentious. Now it is called Riptide and it's mobbed with vapid circuit boys. Hey it's still a water park at night with cocktails and all the rides and slides running, so I'm not complaining too much, but it's kind of not what it used to be. Plus now it is $90.00 to get in plus a $13.00 service fee. On the other hand, that gets you a 7 hour event. 7PM - 2AM.

I would've suggested looking into the bears' Tidal Wave party at Wet n Wild (it was easily $30 cheaper than the TL events) but with that water park closing they're left without a water park event this year.

Instead they're doing a drag show with some top-name performers, and still doing their pool parties at the Holiday Inn.

Maybe next year the bears can get Volcano Bay. ;)

-Rob

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
Any updates?

I haven't been during this weekend in decades, but when my daughter (pushing 35!) was little, we went every year. Her ballet recital was on the Thursday before, and since she was always exhausted the next morning, I let her "skip" school, and we headed down to WDW (about 3 hours away) for a Friday afternoon check-in. It was our special Mommy-Daughter weekend - we were able to get ahead of the summer crowds.

Aside from the higher end restaurants being crowded I never noticed anything untoward. If anything, guests were generally in a better mood. My daughter was surprised when I reminisced about it recently, as she had no recollection of it - I guess her little psyche wasn't damaged. ;)

Upvote 0

Starlight1

I must say that it's very depressing that you've had trouble in the past with these posts. My family (boyfriend and 7 year old son) will be there during Gay Days! I've read so many disgusting comments when looking up info and crowd calendars about our days with this subject. Just wanted to say we can't wait to celebrate our first trip with the entire LBGTQ community!! ❤

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom