Club 32 - Beauty and the Beast, Fantasyland Project

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I still don't have a good sense of the overall attraction, and think we need to brainstorm it more. My understanding is that there is pre-show, a ride attraction (which hasn't been talked about much) and a restaurant.

Do we see this as telling the story as told in the movie? Or are we heading in a different story direction?
If we know what part of the story is to be told during the ride portion of the attraction, then that will inform what needs to be accomplished in the pre-show.
Does the restaurant simply complement the overall theme, or does it overlook a portion of the attraction ride?
I probably have better skills at writing up than drawing, especially since it looks like we have amazing drawers on this team. I'm most intrigued with coming up with the ideas, like what would be the nature of the ride, various scenes, etc.
I agree -- from what I'm reading so far, I think the ride itself is still up for grabs in brainstorming mode as to which direction we want to take it.

For me personally, I always enjoy dark rides that kind of do their own thing (with themes and classic scenes from the film) but told in a different way. Maybe a story from entirely the Beast's perspective (since you're in his castle) and Belle was the main character essentially from the film.

kap91

I think the story for the ride and entire castle is that we're being welcomed to the castle, maybe sort of in the place of belle? Idk I'd say it happens after the events of the story but then there's no reason to see the characters as we know and want to see them. Of course that logic is defied all the time in the parks.

Before we get too far into the story let's think about what a guest is going to want out of a BatB ride

The first thing I think of is a be our guest production number. This likely would be the main big scene in the ride.

Other things that come to mind are wanting to Mrs. Potts, Chip, Lumiere, and Cogsworth. Wolves and dark forests. The ballroom number. The west wing.

I'm leaning towards the ride being sort of an extended romp around the castle in the feeling of be our guest. Something like that. I don't think a strict retelling of the movie is what we should be after - we should focus on an element of that story and use it to deliver the aspirational experiences people are bound to want.

First vehicle that comes to mind is that walking outhouse or the wood chipper.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I think the story for the ride and entire castle is that we're being welcomed to the castle, maybe sort of in the place of belle? Idk I'd say it happens after the events of the story but then there's no reason to see the characters as we know and want to see them. Of course that logic is defied all the time in the parks.

Before we get too far into the story let's think about what a guest is going to want out of a BatB ride

The first thing I think of is a be our guest production number. This likely would be the main big scene in the ride.

Other things that come to mind are wanting to Mrs. Potts, Chip, Lumiere, and Cogsworth. Wolves and dark forests. The ballroom number. The west wing.

I'm leaning towards the ride being sort of an extended romp around the castle in the feeling of be our guest. Something like that. I don't think a strict retelling of the movie is what we should be after - we should focus on an element of that story and use it to deliver the aspirational experiences people are bound to want.

I think focusing around Be Our Guest number is a great way to go about it. And I'm in the same boat that I don't like a retelling of the story as the attraction -- rather take elements of the story and show them in a new immersive light.

If we are going with Be Our Guest as the general theme...might be a strange ride vehicle, but similar to the doom buggies, could the vehicles be themed to chairs from the dining room table?

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
For reference:
c1993e63-2bde-40b6-b4e8-c4d384c53885.jpg

The Excavator

I agree with this approach. I don't know how expansive you were thinking for this attraction, but I'm picturing a lot of AAs involved in the big show scenes. Something amazing that hasn't been seen since the graveyard scene in Haunted Mansion.

OvertheHorizon

So if the ride focus is on things that happen in the castle, then the pre-show would help set up the story of the town, Belle, her father, Gaston, etc.? Perhaps the pages of a large picture book come to life for the pre-show.

kap91

So if the ride focus is on things that happen in the castle, then the pre-show would help set up the story of the town, Belle, her father, Gaston, etc.? Perhaps the pages of a large picture book come to life for the pre-show.
I think this is really going to depend on if we're taking the original enchanted tales+ route as the preshow/additional attraction or if we want to do a more traditional preshow. I really liked the idea of going to the cottage and stepping through the mirror and then having like a special effects retelling of the tale but that effect makes a lot more sense for the Alice ride - so maybe we should just focus on entering through the castle - in which case we would need to focus more on if a preshow is even necessary.

Oh! You know, it's a little late now, but the original earthquake atttaction did a really good job of having like an actual long-format preshow that could stand as its own attraction if warranted.

Argh I'm not really sure what the best approach is.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

mickeyfan5534

As long as we are still in brainstorm mode -- I'll toss this in here as well. This was from 2012 (a competition way long ago) that had a challenge on Beauty and the Beast
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...ge-1-beauty-the-beast-dark-ride.855482/page-2

Maybe some of the contestants like @Matt7187 and @ctxak98 could help fine tune this brainstorming based on their awesome past projects and experience!:)
I can pull out the bones of my Beauty and the Beast ride from House Cup because what worked well there (maniac Be Our Guest scene, vehicles dancing with each other during the ballroom scenes, roses on back of vehicles that fade as the ride goes on) worked extremely well.

Sam Magic

I remember Disneyland Paris was going to have a BATB ride back in the 90's. The only concept art that ever made it out was the Be Our Guest scene and an exterior drawing...I also apologizing for spamming you guys with so much concept art. Here is those pics along with TDL's BATB ride concept art:
beautyandthebeastride1.jpeg
beautyandthebeastride2.jpeg
beautyandthebeastride3.jpeg

OvertheHorizon

Thank you for this! Very helpful!

@kap91 @OvertheHorizon thoughts?
This is a good food for thought, but our discussion so far (as far as the ride) is to focus on four or five iconic scenes from the story without attempting to "tell" the story via the ride. Safe to say that some familiarity with the story / animated movie / live action movie would help with full appreciation. I'm very glad that @mickeyfan5534 shared this information.

Of course, I could be completely wrong in what we consider our focus. That's why others are here to correct me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom