News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Mike S

No, but the animatronics haven't been updated since 1989, the script has been dumbed down, and only the finale film has been updated from both content and image quality.

There are many scenes that should stay, but could still use animatronic updates. Having said that, there are other scenes that either don't work as intended (Footlight Parade) or could stand to be updated. Things like Singing in the Rain, Mary Poppins, Casablanca and Wizard of Oz shouldn't go anywhere. However, I would listen to discussions on pretty much all other aspects of the ride.
Don't forget Alien.

Matt_Black

And Fantasia and Raiders of the Lost Ark...and maybe Eastwood and John Wayne, because they're at least referenced in modern media (Full Metal Jacket, Back to the Future Part III, Rango, The Mask, Family Guy, Arrested Development, etc.) enough that people can at least recognize their names.

Referenced in modern media? Eastwood still MAKES modern media!

yensidtlaw1969

The Great Movie Ride has been allowed to deteriorate in the same way that the Studio Backlot Tour was. That latter was a cut in size, the former was largely a cut in relevance. I would love to see The Great Movie Ride updated with additional rides like the LPS Mickey ride go elsewhere, but at this point I'm ok with TGMR closing.

I understand the add instead of replace policy but the current version of The Great Movie Ride is no longer the E-ticket attraction it needs to be.
I heard Pluto is a little sick -- guess we should take him out back.

SteamboatJoe

This change was one idea floated recently I wasn't terribly opposed to. That said, someone threw out an idea in another thread about how future renovations to Animation Courtyard, should they ever occur, would open up a lot of land to put a brand new Mickey ride in. I think I would prefer that scenario along with perhaps some updating to GMR. Though there is nothing wrong with any of the films in the ride, there have been nearly 30 years of films since it debuted. Not to mention some of the Disney owned properties in the ride deserve attractions of their own.

Animation Courtyard would also be a great location for an attraction centered around a certain 1980s rabbit.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I`m hoping it stalls enough to loose popularity (not everyone likes it) until a ressurection further down the line somewhere else in the park. Though right now it seems to be very much a go, with additional funds.
My understanding is they plan to close GMR within a year, so we won't have to wait much longer to see.

Of course, my understanding was also that we'd have parking garage work under way in summer 2016 lol

I've been surprised (well, not surprised, but it certainly isn't how I'd do it) and how disorganized and mercurial this DHS rebirth has been. One would think, given the budget approved, that it would have had a clear vision and game plan 18 months ago. At least Tower is safe.

mikenatcity1

I`m hoping it stalls enough to loose popularity (not everyone likes it) until a ressurection further down the line somewhere else in the park. Though right now it seems to be very much a go, with additional funds.

May I ask if you're referring to the Great Mickey Ride I was reading about earlier or another? Sorry- I was shifting through the thread trying to follow one way or another :)

RSoxNo1

I heard Pluto is a little sick -- guess we should take him out back.
I don't think you're understanding me correctly. The ride as it currently stands is not a good ride. For me, that presents two different options. Upgrade the existing ride or replace it entirely. At this point, I'd be in favor of either one provided they are improvements over what is currently there.

CrescentLake

My understanding is they plan to close GMR within a year, so we won't have to wait much longer to see.

Of course, my understanding was also that we'd have parking garage work under way in summer 2016 lol

I've been surprised (well, not surprised, but it certainly isn't how I'd do it) and how disorganized and mercurial this DHS rebirth has been. One would think, given the budget approved, that it would have had a clear vision and game plan 18 months ago. At least Tower is safe.

Wait, within this year? They are going to take more DHS rides offline before Star Wars and Toy Story? I'm all for construction projects but if GMR shuts down in 2017, we're honestly at the point where it doesn't even make sense that the park is open during construction.

ToTBellHop

Wait, within this year? They are going to take more DHS rides offline before Star Wars and Toy Story? I'm all for construction projects but if GMR shuts down in 2017, we're honestly at the point where it doesn't even make sense that the park is open during construction.
How else do you get an LPS ride (or 2) open in 2019?

Cmdr_Crimson

I was referring to the Mickey ride, yes.

Makes you wonder if they thought of the idea using the GMR as a nod from Mickey's Gala Premier Short....
Gala.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom