News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Daannzzz

Perhaps a ride/attractions building in the back of Great Britain with the Gondola station on top. The ride building facing into the park and the Gondola facing outside into a new side entrance plaza

AndyS2992

2. Not a thing. It's a debunked urban legend. Now, if Disney had appropriated Nessie into a popular animated feature, as Disney is wont to do with public domain IPs, then it would make sense. Or let's put it this way, if Epcot was in Paris, would you want them to add a Big Foot ride to their American pavilion?
Ahem..
movieposter.jpg

wdrive

I think putting anything to do with Scotland in is a risk. While they voted to stay there is still a substantial push for another referendum. For something as long term as an attraction I don't think it's worth the risk, Scotland could very well not be part of the UK by 10 years time.

britain

A quick commentary on the possibility of a Poppins ride in the UK (that I can neither confirm nor deny as being most likely, as I simply do not know the specifics of the themes being considered). I get that it takes place in London, and Frozen takes place in a Norway-ish country, but that still does not change the fact that it is a bit hypocritical to praise the concept of Poppins and bash on Frozen. Poppins by no means centers around English culture (unless you count accents & tea), while still having slight inspirations, akin to Frozen. I would deem it a worse fit in WS that Rat, as far as IPification goes. Ultimately, I am just a concerned that the prospect of a practically perfect Poppins ride, is blinding us from seeing how this could damage a bit of the integrity of EPCOT. Now, having said that, seeing as EPCOT is going down this road, be it with or without Mary, I would personally advocate for it as a best case, especially since EPCOT Center is dead.

Tony Baxter once said on the Season Pass Podcast that he felt that the 'Castle Parks' are supposed to "take the magical, and make it real". And he said that EPCOT is supposed to "take the real, and make it magical." And the studios were, obviously, about "how the magic is made." I don't think he mentioned AK.

He said that you could theoretically put any IP into any park as long as you remained true to that. As an example, he said Indiana Jones, at the studios, is a stunt show demonstrating how an Indy movie was made. At Disneyland, the whole fantastical adventure is 'made real' and you are in the ancient temple with Indy.

Now here's the kicker:

He said you could put Indy in EPCOT as long as he was serving the purpose making the real magical. Use Indiana Jones to educate about actual archeological history in Mexico, perhaps. Or do something about real cultures, framed with an Indiana Jones lens.

I don't think that would be exactly what the public really wants out of Indy, and now the studio is shedding the "magic making" in favor of more "magic made real".

So, I think you could apply this reasoning to Poppins in the UK. But again, I don't quite think it would be what the people want out of a Poppins attraction.

jaxonp

I can think of a park with five, soon to be nine rides, that would be a perfect fit.

It's really crazy that DHS has only had 5 attractions all these years.. I know they closed a bunch of stuff, but none of them were rides. DHS has kept up with attendance alongside AK and EPCOT while having much less. I can't wait to see what chaos Star Wars brings to this poorly laid out park...

wdwfan4ver

Wow, I never expected so much rumored news for once for World Showcase. I'll be shocked if all of this going to happen. I could see the International Gateway getting enlarged and the 2 rides in question. What I have hard time seeing is the 2 countries due to the size of the budget it Epcot would getting if all the stuff involving Future World happens.

As far as Loch Ness Monster goes, I could've seen Disney attempting this for Epcot back in the 1980's or even during my first two WDW trips in 1991 or 1992. The problem is AK was designed for having living animals, extinct animals, and mythical creatures and the Loch Ness Monster does fit in AK based on that.

I know the Loch Ness Monster myth is in Scotland, but I would think something like that would fit it in with with Dragons, and Unicorns in AK like the Yeti is.

As Far as Mary Poppins as a possible rumor in the same spot as the Loch Ness Monster Rumor, that wouldn't be top of my list when it comes UK. When I think of UK, I think of Robin Hood or King Arthur before Mary Poppins. The catch is Mary Poppins is still very popular with the Disney Crowd. The other thing is Mary Poppins is something that is made to be in MK or DHS.

I watched Mary Poppins as a kid in the 1980's and is still a great movie, but the age of the content would have me going with Robin Hood or King Arthur. Robin Hood and King Arthur didn't first exist at Disney or in the 20th century. Robin Hood has been around since the 14 century in folklore and King Arthur has been around way before the Sword and the Stone. King Arthur has been around in Folklore since the 10 century at least.

Robin Hood and King Arthur is something that a lot of people have read or heard of through the centuries.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

It's really crazy that DHS has only had 5 attractions all these years.. I know they closed a bunch of stuff, but none of them were rides. DHS has kept up with attendance alongside AK and EPCOT while having much less. I can't wait to see what chaos Star Wars brings to this poorly laid out park...
DHS did have a ride taken away. The Backlot Tour. The problem is that ride should've been gone years before it was.

To make this mess worse, TDO turned down Monsters Inc. Door Coaster back in 2007. It was supposed to be part of Pixar Place. If Disney did do Monster Inc. Door Coaster, maybe Disney could've added more Pixar attractions to Pixar Place at a later date instead of doing Toy Story Land.

aladdin2007

I cant imagine them considering a nonIP in the mix of proposals. I mean that would be great of course, but with Chapek in charge? Seems really a stretch. Like he is going to approve anything that wont make money on merch. But I wouldn't mind Mary Poppins. Just wish it could be Baxter's original plans though.

ToTBellHop

It is crazy. DAK is 9 years younger and will have 9 rides (plus animal trails and, I would argue, more compelling entertainment) in 3 months. DHS will finally have 9 rides in 2 1/2 years as it celebrates its 30th birthday (for real...). Imagine if Disneyland only had 9 rides by 1985. Or MK by 2001. Laughable.

And yet GMR will get repealed and replaced.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I think putting anything to do with Scotland in is a risk. While they voted to stay there is still a substantial push for another referendum. For something as long term as an attraction I don't think it's worth the risk, Scotland could very well not be part of the UK by 10 years time.
And if it has a food venue, you just KNOW they'll be serving haggis. I don't see that as a positive.

Marlins1

It is crazy. DAK is 9 years younger and will have 9 rides (plus animal trails and, I would argue, more compelling entertainment) in 3 months. DHS will finally have 9 rides in 2 1/2 years as it celebrates its 30th birthday (for real...). Imagine if Disneyland only had 9 rides by 1985. Or MK by 2001. Laughable.

And yet GMR will get repealed and replaced.
I agree - Rides are not everything especially at a Disney but I still think ten should be a minimum in all four parks.

ToTBellHop

I agree - Rides are not everything especially at a Disney but I still think ten should be a minimum in all four parks.
They certainly aren't everything, but DHS doesn't have much else to do, either, unlike the other parks. By my count, Epcot only has 10 rides. But, there are many other things to do.

I do think rides are primarily what guests want. And fireworks.

SteamboatJoe

Hmmm, well known Disney properties related to the UK....

-Fun and Fancy Free (Mickey and the Beanstalk)
-The Wind in the Willows (Mr. Toad)
-Alice in Wonderland*
-Peter Pan*
-101 Dalmatians
-Sword in the Stone
-Mary Poppins
-Robin Hood
-Winnie the Pooh*
-The Great Muppet Caper
-The Great Mouse Detective
-Chronicles of Narnia
-Brave

*This property is already the main property in an existing attraction in a WDW park.

Something related to the British Invasion of music in the 60's would be a neat non-IP concept. A Yellow Submarine remake was considered by Disney several years ago. That would make for a pretty colorful and culturally relevant attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom