Merits of DLR vs. WDW

HMF

Original Poster
I don't like vacationing. I like going to Disneyland and coming home to my own bed at the end of the night and watching Deep Space Nine.

The WDW notion of coming "home" to WDW and staying in hotels where they leave towels in the shape of Mickey's head on the bed is awful. Eventually, you've got to go back to the real world. Why not share it with the real world like the Disneyland AP crowd? It must be said, they do that part right. You can weave back and forth with remarkable skill and ease.
I would say there is a valid argument for both arguments but to me the WDW bubble which I used to feel strongly has lost it's power in recent years. If you are indeed lucky enough to live close enough to Disneyland that you can go to the park and be in your own bed at night. That's great, in fact I envy you.

Travel Junkie

Just out of curiosity, when was the last time you were out there? I was there in November and while, sure, Epcot has its share of problems and DHS remains a mess and is currently torn apart, I didn't think there was much 'bad show' or that things were maintained in a way that detracted from the experience anymore so than out here. For all the things that totally bum me out about Epcot, having grown up there in the best of its years, I still absolutely love being in the park -- especially at night when World Showcase really comes alive. There's nothing else quite like at any Disney park.

I was there a couple weeks ago and while it has gotten a little bit better in terms of maintenance, there is still a lot of room for improvement. It was nice to see several buildings behind scrims for an updated paints job. It was tough getting around certain parts of the resort due to road construction, particularly DHS, it is good to see them working on infrastructure.

I would say the biggest disappointments are they let things go on for too long, it still has a long ways to go to be what it once was, and it still isn't up to the same standard that many of the other Disney parks around the world are at. Even the infrequent visitor will notice the lack of updates as a lot of the resort feels "classic" or old depending on your point of view. There is a certain appeal to a classic park, but in many cases it just feels dated, particularly those lands that are supposed to represent the future. Contrast that with Universal Orlando which has a very fresh and contemporary look to it. It should also be noted that a lot of the criticism comes from those of us who have visited the other Disney parks, especially Tokyo and know Disney can and should do better at what is supposed to be its flagship resort.

All that being said I do think the WDW side of the board can be a bit too harsh on it. It still is an amazing resort. It just needs a lot of investment to bring up to the place it should be and that is the gold standard of theme park resorts. It is definitely not there right now.

Phroobar

I think anyone that complains about how well kept WDW or DLR is should really spend a day at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I think you head would explode. Here you have buildings that haven't been properly maintained or painted in decades and you have to wait in line in them. There are coasters that have no regard for theming or sight lines and always seem to break down. It almost feels unsafe some days. They have restrooms that are dirtier than bus depots. For a place where the temperature can be over hundred, there are very few drinking fountains. The food is one step below a high school cafeteria and the service would be faster if done by zombies. Don't get me started on the soda bottles that are stuck on building roofs.

goldrushergum.jpg

Traditional gum placement on the Gold Rush coaster.

Professortango1

I'm not saying that stuff doesn't exist... and there may be more of it across the property due to its size, but proportionally, do you really think its that much worse for the wear than DL is? I honestly can't sit here and say it is.

Also, I will add that having an AP to Six Flags Magic Mountain this past year has given me some new perspective and a much greater appreciation for Disney parks and their maintenance overall -- even if they aren't quite as pristine as they were at one point in time. :)

Disco Yeti, missing bird/fog for EE, missing Ellen/Dinosaur AA from Ellen's Energy Adventure, large store-bought propped up in Test Track seat belt check, Footlight Parade unit in GMR, missing Mr Potato Head, Country Bears AA's having very audible clicks, mermaid effect in Pirates, etc. It was like going back in time to a Chuck E Cheese and seeing that level of quality with a few figures missing for repairs or just removed all together. Then there was the bubbling signage, peeling murals, and outdated experiences. I know I've been spoiled by Disneyland constantly plussing older attractions and building smarter attractions (our yeti looks amazing and you can see him move, no 5th Dimension room means far less break downs). Disney World wasn't bad, it just wasn't what it should be.

As for the Magic Mountain comparison, that's apples and oranges. I don't go to Magic Mountain because their standards on the look of their park don't match my needs/wants. That's like saying "You think Chili's is bad quality food, try eating at a High School Cafeteria and you'll see that Chili's isn't so bad."

Phroobar

Disco Yeti, missing bird/fog for EE, missing Ellen/Dinosaur AA from Ellen's Energy Adventure, large store-bought propped up in Test Track seat belt check, Footlight Parade unit in GMR, missing Mr Potato Head, Country Bears AA's having very audible clicks, mermaid effect in Pirates, etc. It was like going back in time to a Chuck E Cheese and seeing that level of quality with a few figures missing for repairs or just removed all together. Then there was the bubbling signage, peeling murals, and outdated experiences. I know I've been spoiled by Disneyland constantly plussing older attractions and building smarter attractions (our yeti looks amazing and you can see him move, no 5th Dimension room means far less break downs). Disney World wasn't bad, it just wasn't what it should be.

As for the Magic Mountain comparison, that's apples and oranges. I don't go to Magic Mountain because their standards on the look of their park don't match my needs/wants. That's like saying "You think Chili's is bad quality food, try eating at a High School Cafeteria and you'll see that Chili's isn't so bad."
MM and the Magic Kingdom are both theme parks. They offer rides, shows and food. You just pay a lot more for the Disney experience. It should give the theme park goer some perspective for what you are paying for at a Disney park and how Disney seems to be getting closer to MM quality but at a premium price. For example, at the Magic Kingdom you can get on and off a ride very quickly while at MM that process takes many times longer. However, things are broken on the ride that shouldn't be at that price. The employees between them are held to a much higher standard at the Magic Kingdom but sometimes you wonder what the real difference is between them.

mickEblu

So if DL is the better park and WDW is the better vacation destination, as a Disney Fan it's looking like I'm living on the right (Pacific) Coast.

GiveMeTheMusic

So if DL is the better park and WDW is the better vacation destination, as a Disney Fan it's looking like I'm living on the right (Pacific) Coast.

*whispers* You are.

It's funny, I used to think it was a pendulum. In the late 90s and early 2000s, WDW was getting all the new stuff and all the attention while we just got DCA DOA. Then starting in 2005, WDW began to cool down and DLR started getting lavished with attention and it just hasn't let up.

It'd be nice if both resorts got what they needed.

dweezil78

Disco Yeti, missing bird/fog for EE, missing Ellen/Dinosaur AA from Ellen's Energy Adventure, large store-bought propped up in Test Track seat belt check, Footlight Parade unit in GMR, missing Mr Potato Head, Country Bears AA's having very audible clicks, mermaid effect in Pirates, etc

While sure, those are all things that could use some fixing, do you really think those are major glaring maintenance issues and that much worse compared to the issues we have at DL? I could create a list just as long if not longer and that's only spanning our 2 parks.

Curious Constance

*whispers* You are.

It's funny, I used to think it was a pendulum. In the late 90s and early 2000s, WDW was getting all the new stuff and all the attention while we just got DCA DOA. Then starting in 2005, WDW began to cool down and DLR started getting lavished with attention and it just hasn't let up.

You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit!

SuddenStorm

Also, I will add that having an AP to Six Flags Magic Mountain this past year has given me some new perspective and a much greater appreciation for Disney parks and their maintenance overall -- even if they aren't quite as pristine as they were at one point in time. :)

I've spent a lot more time in Six Flags MM than I have Disney- and now I can't spend more than 3 hours in the park at a time. I'll go in the morning, ride as many rides as I can with no line, say hi to some former coworkers, and happily leave to do something else with my day. It's a hot, dirty, uncomfortable park to be in.

Whenever I go to Disneyland- I'm at the park an hour before opening, and don't leave the park until close (after I do any shopping on Main Street of course).

SuddenStorm

*whispers* You are.

I think separating DL and WDW's management a few months ago was the best thing that could happen. Both operating more independently should allow them both to receive the attention they need, at the same time, assuming good leadership is in place.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

MM and the Magic Kingdom are both theme parks. They offer rides, shows and food. You just pay a lot more for the Disney experience. It should give the theme park goer some perspective for what you are paying for at a Disney park and how Disney seems to be getting closer to MM quality but at a premium price. For example, at the Magic Kingdom you can get on and off a ride very quickly while at MM that process takes many times longer. However, things are broken on the ride that shouldn't be at that price. The employees between them are held to a much higher standard at the Magic Kingdom but sometimes you wonder what the real difference is between them.

I've always classified Six Flags as an "Amusement Park" that's primary purpose is to let the people there have fun through rollercoasters, carnival rides, and carnival games. Sort of a state fair on steroids. Six Flags doesn't really try to have a theme, it's all pretty generic and hasn't' changed much since the 90's.

On the other hand, I view Disneyland (or Magic Kingdom) as a "theme park" where the goal is to convince the person that they are in a different reality where magic, princesses, and talking animals are the norm. A place where problems don't exist. Because of this, a lot more emphasis is placed on how the employees act, how the lands are themed, and the overall upkeep of the park.

I hold the two to completely different standards- and I think WDW has a long way to go before we can start saying it's getting closer to "MM quality". I'd say it's likely closer to Disneyland quality back in 2001.

Phroobar

I've always classified Six Flags as an "Amusement Park" that's primary purpose is to let the people there have fun through rollercoasters, carnival rides, and carnival games.
Which isn't true because Magic Mountain actually does have "themed" areas just like Disneyland or Knotts. For example, they have Baja Ridge, Rapids Camp Crossing, Cylone Bay, DC Universe and Screampunk District among others. Granted the theme isn't as intense as Disneyland but it does exist. Their Screampunk Distict is brand new and well themed while their DC Universe is similar to IOA's Superhero Island.

SuddenStorm

Which isn't true because Magic Mountain actually does have "themed" areas just like Disneyland or Knotts. For example, they have Baja Ridge, Rapids Camp Crossing, Cylone Bay, DC Universe and Screampunk District among others. Granted the theme isn't as intense as Disneyland but it does exist. Their Screampunk Distict is brand new and well themed while their DC Universe is similar to IOA's Superhero Island.

I have to disagree. Sure, it has "themed" areas, but the faithfulness to the theme in each area is severely lacking.

Cyclone Bay: Cyclone got torn down a decade ago, and most of the buildings in the area are worn, beat, and not very faithful to a waterfront theme.
Steampunk District consists of a new paint job and some home depot pipe creations.
DC Universe is their best themed land.
The sierra crossing is a theme they've essentially tried to do away with- on the cheap. They got rid of the giant tree, the log jammer, did a cheap refurb of Mooseburger lodge, etc.
Rapids Camp crossing is also a mediocre theme, but not the worst area in the park.

My point is that a "theme park" like MK or DL relies on the theme to be a part of the experience and attempts to remain faithful to the theme in every attraction. An "amusement park" like Six Flags might have a theme, but doesn't remain faithful to it and is more than willing to butcher it if needed.

Everyone goes to parks for different reasons, and views them differently and there's really no wrong answer here since this is purely subjective, but I just don't understand when people say Disney is becoming more "Six Flags quality" because while the parks aren't always in perfect shape, they're always better than Six Flags by a long shot, or judge Six Flags on their theming compared to Disney because I don't think Six Flags is trying to be Disney.

brb1006

I think anyone that complains about how well kept WDW or DLR is should really spend a day at Six Flags Magic Mountain. I think you head would explode. Here you have buildings that haven't been properly maintained or painted in decades and you have to wait in line in them. There are coasters that have no regard for theming or sight lines and always seem to break down. It almost feels unsafe some days. They have restrooms that are dirtier than bus depots. For a place where the temperature can be over hundred, there are very few drinking fountains. The food is one step below a high school cafeteria and the service would be faster if done by zombies. Don't get me started on the soda bottles that are stuck on building roofs.

goldrushergum.jpg

Traditional gum placement on the Gold Rush coaster.
Come to Great Adventure

Phroobar

I have to disagree. Sure, it has "themed" areas, but the faithfulness to the theme in each area is severely lacking.

Cyclone Bay: Cyclone got torn down a decade ago, and most of the buildings in the area are worn, beat, and not very faithful to a waterfront theme.
Steampunk District consists of a new paint job and some home depot pipe creations.
DC Universe is their best themed land.
The sierra crossing is a theme they've essentially tried to do away with- on the cheap. They got rid of the giant tree, the log jammer, did a cheap refurb of Mooseburger lodge, etc.
Rapids Camp crossing is also a mediocre theme, but not the worst area in the park.

My point is that a "theme park" like MK or DL relies on the theme to be a part of the experience and attempts to remain faithful to the theme in every attraction. An "amusement park" like Six Flags might have a theme, but doesn't remain faithful to it and is more than willing to butcher it if needed.

Everyone goes to parks for different reasons, and views them differently and there's really no wrong answer here since this is purely subjective, but I just don't understand when people say Disney is becoming more "Six Flags quality" because while the parks aren't always in perfect shape, they're always better than Six Flags by a long shot, or judge Six Flags on their theming compared to Disney because I don't think Six Flags is trying to be Disney.
Then to your thinking there is no such thing as a theme park unless it is Disney theme park. Knotts is a theme park. It has areas with themes just like MM and Disneyland but the quality and upkeep are better than MM but not as good as Disneyland's. You can't say a place has no theme based on quality.

Sorry but your completely wrong.

SuddenStorm

Then to your thinking there is no such thing as a theme park unless it is Disney theme park. Knotts is a theme park. It has areas with themes just like MM and Disneyland but the quality and upkeep are better than MM but not as good as Disneyland's. You can't say a place has no theme based on quality.

Sorry but your completely wrong.

Universal is very much a theme park, in that they have themed lands like the Simpson's area and HP that are cohesive and utilize the theme for the attractions. I haven't been to Knott's so I don't have an opinion there.

Six Flags doesn't use the theme to control the experience like Universal or Disney does because they have completely different goals. Six Flags isn't "let's build immersive lands and attractions to transport the guest into a story" it's "let's build the next big coaster" so I don't judge my Six Flags experience based on the quality of their theming. When people on here trash Six Flags on their theming (which is justified) I feel like they miss the whole point of Six Flags. Six Flags doesn't care about the theme- they just try to always have a new ride opening to bring guests into the park so I judge them on that, and I judge a Universal or Disney park on the quality of their theming and cohesiveness. Anyone expecting more from Six Flags will be let down, and that's where fans of Disney have problems.

Trying to judge Six Flags on their theming is like trying to judge Disney on the size of their coasters.

Last edited:

dweezil78

I think you're all missing the point with my comment about Six Flags. I honestly don't give a lick about how their theming compares to Disney. My main point is -- you have a pretty big company like Six Flags operating parks across the country with rides costing millions and millions of dollars, asking consumers to pay a pretty hefty price to get inside those parks. Cheaper than Disney sure, but ultimately, they're still operating a business and taking money from people. Magic Mountain, which is I believe their flagship park (no pun intended), is an absolute dump. As others have said... buildings completely falling apart, bathrooms that you won't want to go within 100 feet of, dirty rides, poor staffing/training, awful restaurants. Local city parks are kept up better than this place. They shouldn't get a break just because they don't go all out on theming. Theming is one thing, maintenance, cleanliness and customer service is completely different.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom