Upcoming/Rumored Projects

EricsBiscuit

You were right about one thing. Management doesn't have the interest in future world if they have to periodically change things in a group setting. It really hasn't shown any reason why spending the time, energy and money to do so would pay off. That is still the reason why we have what is there today. It is exactly the same motivation. I don't think that any of us has the theme park operation experience to know what is possible and what is not. If you want to go with "sure then can", fine with me, however, it won't change a thing.
I agree. It's not being "lazy," it just doesn't make business sense. Remember, Disney is and always has been a business. Its primary goal is to enrich its shareholders. We all wish FW was updated, but what makes the most sense for both guests and TWDC is to make meaningful updates that will make them money and is happy. If it doesn't make them money, forget them devoting a meaningful budget to it.

danheaton

I agree. It's not being "lazy," it just doesn't make business sense. Remember, Disney is and always has been a business. Its primary goal is to enrich its shareholders. We all wish FW was updated, but what makes the most sense for both guests and TWDC is to make meaningful updates that will make them money and is happy. If it doesn't make them money, forget them devoting a meaningful budget to it.

I disagree that it wouldn't benefit Disney to upgrade its Future World attractions. Universe of Energy is a huge building that could attract major crowds, which would lead to a better guest experience. It would also create more excitement for the park. Judging by the crowds at my local science center, there's definitely still an interest in the type of issues that Disney could place in Future World. If Disney combined what they do best with futuristic themes, it could still work. Look at Soarin'. There were many IMAX theaters across the country, and the idea of flying in front of a screen doesn't jump off the page. Disney made it something a lot more than its description. They could do the same thing at Energy and Imagination if they had, for lack of a better word, imagination. If they build quality attractions, we'll come.

To me, it makes business sense to not have a dated ride that few people enjoy. They don't need to add a billion-dollar attraction. There are ways to update Future World that are good for guests and the company. Disney just doesn't see it.

rushtest4echo

They don't need to add a billion-dollar attraction. There are ways to update Future World that are good for guests and the company. Disney just doesn't see it.

While I agree, sadly everything at Disney is NASA level planning and spending. That is to say, it takes 50% longer and 500% more money to accomplish. It's been this way for a very long time, though. It's just the way the company operates and it means "minor" improvements cost a "major" amount of planning, time, and money

danheaton

While I agree, sadly everything at Disney is NASA level planning and spending. That is to say, it takes 50% longer and 500% more money to accomplish. It's been this way for a very long time, though. It's just the way the company operates and it means "minor" improvements cost a "major" amount of planning, time, and money

That definitely is an issue. We saw that with 7DMT at New Fantasyland, which is a cool ride but took so long to build. Disney is large, and that can be good for resources. However, it's slow in terms of moving quickly.

Goofyernmost

That definitely is an issue. We saw that with 7DMT at New Fantasyland, which is a cool ride but took so long to build. Disney is large, and that can be good for resources. However, it's slow in terms of moving quickly.
What took so long with the 7DMT? It wasn't even planned until a long time after the NFL was started. There are massive amounts of detail, new types of technology for a roller-coaster that is sometimes a dark ride at a slow pace. A new ride vehicle and many things that required precise engineering and building. I have to wonder just how fast one thinks that things should be built. Should it be so fast that details are overlooked, perhaps rushing through it and having a major catastrophe happen because something was left out? I defy anyone to tell me that they know exactly how long it should take to build something. Not based on individual desire to see it done, but, based on the actual time required to perform the necessary actions that are required to actually build anything. Add to the the fact that it had no access that could be used during the day when thousands of people were busily trying to enjoy a theme park experience which was the case with 7DMT.

danheaton

What took so long with the 7DMT? It wasn't even planned until a long time after the NFL was started. There are massive amounts of detail, new types of technology for a roller-coaster that is sometimes a dark ride at a slow pace. A new ride vehicle and many things that required precise engineering and building. I have to wonder just how fast one thinks that things should be built. Should it be so fast that details are overlooked, perhaps rushing through it and having a major catastrophe happen because something was left out? I defy anyone to tell me that they know exactly how long it should take to build something. Not based on individual desire to see it done, but, based on the actual time required to perform the necessary actions that are required to actually build anything. Add to the the fact that it had no access that could be used during the day when thousands of people were busily trying to enjoy a theme park experience which was the case with 7DMT.

Your point is correct. None of us can know how much time and effort it takes to put together an attraction. My point is as much about the perception as it is about the why. The perception is that attractions take a long time to build at Disney, and the common reaction with 7DMT as it sat there with walls around it was that it took a long time.

JoeCamel

Lets see - just dig a huge hole in the ground and relocate service and maybe we will decide later what to put in the hole? Really you believe it was not planned?

Goofyernmost

Your point is correct. None of us can know how much time and effort it takes to put together an attraction. My point is as much about the perception as it is about the why. The perception is that attractions take a long time to build at Disney, and the common reaction with 7DMT as it sat there with walls around it was that it took a long time.
Which would be fine if it weren't conveyed with anger and paranoia instead of understanding that things can take a while to build and are anxious to have it operational. The latter is a perfectly legitimate emotion to hold, the previous one filled with anger and incorrect ideas that it is always in their best interest to drag their feet because they don't and won't try and understand how accounting actually works. That is what makes it wrong. Sarcastically saying that they are directing it to take forever is just foolishness, but, is always the first thing that you hear.

That said, there are times that they are trying to spread openings out, but, that is usually done by staggering the times that they start the projects not the amount of time it takes to complete one.

Goofyernmost

Lets see - just dig a huge hole in the ground and relocate service and maybe we will decide later what to put in the hole? Really you believe it was not planned?
Do you have rock hard evidence of that happening or are you just talking while wearing your tinfoil hat. That particular attraction has documented evidence that it was a last minute decision to go ahead with the construction. It was supposed to be a meet and greet in the original approved plans. I don't even know what you are talking about when you say they dig a huge hole and decide later what to put in it. Building anything is more then some guy in a hardhat looking at a set of blue prints and saying... run on down to Home Depot and pick up a few guys to start digging the foundation someplace around here.

JoeCamel

Do you have rock hard evidence of that happening or are you just talking while wearing your tinfoil hat. That particular attraction has documented evidence that it was a last minute decision to go ahead with the construction. It was supposed to be a meet and greet in the original approved plans. I don't even know what you are talking about when you say they dig a huge hole and decide later what to put in it. Building anything is more then some guy in a hardhat looking at a set of blue prints and saying... run on down to Home Depot and pick up a few guys to start digging the foundation someplace around here.
Yeah I was there every day! They knew what they were going to put in the hole. Had to so they knew how big to dig the hole. The only question was what design they were going to build, the real coaster or the value engineered design they built. There was no question once they started digging.
Just like you have no idea what it takes to hang the jib boom on the castle crane you have no idea what went into designing and building NFL. I was there every day, where were you?

Goofyernmost

Yeah I was there every day! They knew what they were going to put in the hole. Had to so they knew how big to dig the hole. The only question was what design they were going to build, the real coaster or the value engineered design they built. There was no question once they started digging.
Just like you have no idea what it takes to hang the jib boom on the castle crane you have no idea what went into designing and building NFL. I was there every day, where were you?
I did work in construction for a number of years, I know about enough about the cranes to understand what they are doing and even though they might have figured it out the original plans did not call for the Mine Train and you know that. If I recall that whole area was a sub-lagoon for many, many years. routing utilities through there would be a probable thing. The point was not about when they knew it was going in anyway, it was about the length of time that it took to build and I still maintain that considering what they had to work around, especially after Under the Sea opened up didn't help speed up the process at all. Being there doesn't mean knowing what is planned and when it was planned, but, if it makes you happy and you were there, as you said you were, fine, but, I'm still not sure what it has to do with anything.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Last updated: 15 January 2016

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Disney's Hollywood Studios
Epcot
Magic Kingdom

Disney Springs

Resort Areas

Its been a year. Time for another update. Please. I'm lazy and I like lists. Thanks.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
If only someone would track rumors on a more regular basis...

That is funny. Allow me to make the argument for updating the OP in this thread on a roughly annual basis which is about what it has been since 2013....then I will bow out. A year is a good time period for three things - 1) several big announcements are made...which has generally been the focus of the OP, 2) some of the big things will have dates put on them and be completed which is easy to update, and 3) the veracity or at least seriousness of some of the big rumors can be gleaned. Update the post every January or February, let it sit for a year and then do it again. It seems a convenient way to summarize things. It is true that for any specific rumor or news item one can go to this website or any others on the internetz. Also, other summaries of varying quality exist. I, personally, have enjoyed this thread, enjoyed the rate of posting in the thread, and the rate at which the OP is updated. I'm busy. However, if @wdwmagic doesn't want to update the OP or if everyone else finds it useless, I will quietly bow out. No harm. I won't 21stamps you to death.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I did work in construction for a number of years, I know about enough about the cranes to understand what they are doing and even though they might have figured it out the original plans did not call for the Mine Train and you know that. If I recall that whole area was a sub-lagoon for many, many years. routing utilities through there would be a probable thing. The point was not about when they knew it was going in anyway, it was about the length of time that it took to build and I still maintain that considering what they had to work around, especially after Under the Sea opened up didn't help speed up the process at all. Being there doesn't mean knowing what is planned and when it was planned, but, if it makes you happy and you were there, as you said you were, fine, but, I'm still not sure what it has to do with anything.

I followed the paper trail on this project at one point and it looks like the decision to go with the Mine Ride was made after the initial announcement with the M&G's but before construction actually started on the rest of the land. The area where the coaster ended up was just used as a staging area for at least a year during which I assume they were finalizing the plans for the coaster. Once started it took about 31 months to build.

Goofyernmost

I followed the paper trail on this project at one point and it looks like the decision to go with the Mine Ride was made after the initial announcement with the M&G's but before construction actually started on the rest of the land. The area where the coaster ended up was just used as a staging area for at least a year during which I assume they were finalizing the plans for the coaster. Once started it took about 31 months to build.
Thanks for that info and considering that it was a stand alone project that was surrounded by park guests all day for quite awhile, the additional time seems to be justifiable. That's not to say desirable, but, certainly hampered the speed of production.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Last updated: 22 February 2017

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Disney's Hollywood Studios
Epcot
Magic Kingdom
Disney Springs
Typhoon Lagoon
Resort Areas
Transportation

Thank you! I still would've thought this was the bestest website on the internetz if you hadn't a done it, but now I think of it as the super bestest website on the internetz!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom