Disney Dummies: Recent Irrational and Foolish Ideas from WDP&R

DDLand

This one's minor, but Hyperspace Mountain is really getting on my nerves, and I'm starting to think they just refuse to change the light bulbs in the strobe tunnel.
I've only ridden the Hong Kong edition, but oh my word it's so annoying. Who's bright idea was it to use lasers to light up a space that is designed specifically to be dark?

The illusion is being in the void of space. On Hyperspace you're on a rollercoaster with tie fighter screens.

The one part that speaks to me is the end with the hologram (just because it looks cool), but the rest is a cute but wholly unnecessary add on.

Space Mountain worked since 76 at WDW, and all of a sudden those primal themes and feelings aren't good enough?

Hah, not even.

StarWarsGirl

Explain to me why the thing most people agree they got right about the original DCA was altered in such a way.
Well, it needed updating, and for Epcot's theming, over the word makes a ton more sense, but Disney is too lazy to do two different versions for each park, so over the world for both versions is the way they go.

mickEblu

Well, it needed updating, and for Epcot's theming, over the word makes a ton more sense, but Disney is too lazy to do two different versions for each park, so over the world for both versions is the way they go.

Huh? So are you saying keeping Soarin Over California wasn't an option?

StarWarsGirl

In general, doing lands entirely based on movies. While I am a huge fan of SWL coming to WDW (not so much to DL; that's more of a "what are they thinking" type thing) it seems like they are becoming more and more dependent on movies for lands instead of coming up with their own ideas for new lands. Think about the number of them: Carsland, A Bugs Land, Toy Story Land, Star Wars Land, Avatar Land.

Oh the Guardians tower. I think we all agree it's a terrible idea, so I'll just leave it at that.

That Star Wars film in the theater where Captain EO used to play (I know in WDW it's called the Magic Eye Theater). I like Star Wars, but that was a big meh.

Not keeping CofP (or some version of it) in DL, and letting it fall behind on the times in WDW.

The fact that the PeopleMover tracks are just plain sitting there.

That buidling in the middle of Tomorrowland that is also just plain sitting there.

I personally absolutely hated the overlay of Nightmare Before Christmas on Haunted Mansion.

I know this is a DL section, but I have a few for WDW. Avatar Land. Just...why? Mythical creatures would have made much more sense than silly Avatar as an entire land. Another WDW-related one is Frozen in Norway. Maelstrom did seriously need an update, but they put Frozen over the same track. It's very well-done, but for a popular movie like Frozen, they needed to do a dedicated, higher-capacity attraction. Three hour waits and FP+ running out over a month ahead of time is not good. And then there's the redo of TT, which had the potential to be very well done and is just a bunch of flashy lights. And last but not least, redoing Fantasyland and only adding two attractions.

StarWarsGirl

Huh? So are you saying keeping Soarin Over California wasn't an option?
I'm saying they could have shot a new California version, but they're Disney, and they like to clone rides for the parks. At the very least, if the CA version came back, it needs an upgrade. At least at WDW, the film was degrading horribly.

mickEblu

I'm saying they could have shot a new California version, but they're Disney, and they like to clone rides for the parks. At the very least, if the CA version came back, it needs an upgrade. At least at WDW, the film was degrading horribly.

I think they had just upgraded the California film to digital before the switch over to World.

mickEblu

The same for Florida too. It would be easy to switch back... Though obviously California is the most obvious choice. Let Grizzly Peak Recreational Area get its California back.

Based on the demographic, I guarantee if they did a survey most folks would probably either want California back or just be completely indifferent. In last place would be folks saying to keep World.

Figments Friend

I don't want to get into a "is NBC a Christmas movie or not" argument...but its laid out like a Christmas overlay...so it shouldn't start so soon.

Totally agree.
It always seemed odd to me that the most Halloween themed Attraction in all the Park was NOT operating in it's original frightfully fun form for ...Halloween!
If there was ever a time of year I would think Guests would want to ride 'The Haunted Mansion' in it's original state I would think it would be during the Halloween season.
Touring haunted houses and enjoying spooky experiences at that time of year is a tradition, right..?

The 'Nightmare Before Xmas' overlay is fun, but I also feel it is installed far too early.
Do we really need it for three months...?
Always thought the first week in November it should go down for the time required to install the overlay, as in my opinion it leans far more in the direction of X-mas instead of Halloween.
The film I feel strikes a nice balance between the two Holidays portrayed, but the 'Nightmare..' Mansion overlay is much more leaning in the direction of Christmas.

Christmastime and all the trappings associated with it is something I personally do not want to be reminded of or see before Halloween, my favorite season.
It's bad enough the retailers start the 'Christmas push' in August now...let's enjoy Halloween FIRST, with Disney's most famous spooky Attraction!
September is too freaking early for X-mas related anything, including overlays!

I LIKE all that Christmasy fun...in December....but NOT when it's HalloweenTime!
;)

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom