Let's keep the Hubby happy at Disney! Where is the Craft Beer?!

MickeyfromSTL

It has been said on here many times, but Big River Grille down on the boardwalk has good beers. I think the food is a bit better than people are giving it credit for. It is certainly not a show stopper and I don’t know anyone who says it is their favorite place to eat, but it is better than average “sports bar food.” If you sit on the bar side it is also a good spot to catch a portion of a game on TV if you want to get away from Disney for a while or if you have a particular interest in a game.

If you are going during the food and wine festival there are countless microbrew options around the back of epcot (Germany has a great portable booth set up with some extra standing bar tables). One place often overlooked for beer at the festival is in the old “Odyssey” restaurant on the way back to world showcase. It has been closed as a restaurant for years, but during the festival they have set up a bunch of tall bar tables as an informal lounge. They have 4-6 microbrews that are good in there too.

Not sure what kind of beers you like, but away from the food and wine festival the cart in Canada often has La Fin Du Monde which is good.

My favorite place to grab a pint is at the Rose N Crown in Epcot. Fairly standard European beer selection, but fun atmosphere.

Jess G

Thanks for the link! I'll make sure and tell him about it!

On another note.... I've never Uber'd. I'm assuming it's the same as a taxi but with an app. I was going to look into it for going from resort to resort but didn't want to get one for somewhere 30 miles away. Is getting an Uber relatively inexpensive? I have no idea what the rates are?
Dont take my word for it but I'm pretty sure when you download the uber app your first ride is free or discounted

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
Dont take my word for it but I'm pretty sure when you download the uber app your first ride is free or discounted
Awesome!! There are a few places that will be easy taking Disney transportation but when I want to go to Boardwalk... Ugh. I don't think there's an easy way there so an Uber will definitely be a better option.

Phonedave

It's a link to a medical study that people who like bitter taste are more likely to be psychopaths. :joyfull:

Here's a link to the actual research:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666315300428

Uh oh - then my liking of Beverly puts me in a bad situation.

As for IPA, they are my least favorite styles, but some are coming around and using the hop flavors rather than just going for the massive IBUs. Those are pretty interesting.

I don't know if I have a least favorite style. I do like IPAs - normal IPAs, not the face puckering IPAs some companies are now making. Back when I was doing a lot more homebrewing than I am now, I was pretty good at identifying different hop varietals. Not so much anymore.

-dave

Phonedave

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!! I was trying not to look into the parks too much because this was going to be a lazy, hang around the pool, eat at some signature restaurants type of trip. I had no idea Food and Wine was going to be happening. Now I just may have to change my plans.:cautious:
Don't freak out......is Food and Wine really worth it? Never been.

We (my wife and I) go just for food and wine - about every other year. To me, clearly, it is worth it. We go to a lot of the seminars, food and beverage pairings, and things like that. It does get quite pricey, but it is something that we both enjoy.

-dave

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
We (my wife and I) go just for food and wine - about every other year. To me, clearly, it is worth it. We go to a lot of the seminars, food and beverage pairings, and things like that. It does get quite pricey, but it is something that we both enjoy.

-dave
I've just told him about it and it is now being heavily considered. If we do go I'll have to drop a signature dinner.:(

GeoDonJac34

If you want beers for your room, you can have Garden Grocer deliver them. They have several local beers in stock. I believe they have a forty dollar minimum and a delivery fee, so if you are just getting beer it may not be worth it.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
If you want beers for your room, you can have Garden Grocer deliver them. They have several local beers in stock. I believe they have a forty dollar minimum and a delivery fee, so if you are just getting beer it may not be worth it.
I was planning on ordering some items from Garden Grocer but I have looked into too much yet. I didn't realize they had a minimum.

Mark P.

Aside from the festivals already mentioned...

On the Boardwalk area, I'm partial to ESPN over Big River - the food is forgettable in both counts, but ESPN, in my experience, has a broader range of styles including several local/regional brews.

In Animal Kingdom, Dawa Bar usually has a few African bottles that I haven't seen anywhere else in the States.

And the lounge at The Wave... usually has a selection of local organic beers on tap.

Mark P.

The new Geyser Springs bar at WL shares those same features. Good beers, spectacular views, awesome atmosphere.

What's the craft beer situation at Geyser Springs? I saw something about PNW locals but haven't seen reports on any specific offerings.

Phonedave

I've just told him about it and it is now being heavily considered. If we do go I'll have to drop a signature dinner.:(

For me (and for my money) I would much rather attend a food and wine pairing event at F&W than go to a signature restaruant at WDW. I don't find the food at WDW singature restaruants that great anymore, and when you factor in the skyrocketing prices, most Signatures, again to me, are not worth it. We could get into how I believe that the DDP has limited the menu choices, handcuffed the chefs, and created an artifical pricing system, but that is a thread that has been beat to death allready.

My point here is that the events at food and wine have no such limitations, because they are not DDP events. It is usually a chef and a wine (or in some cases tequila) expert who enjoy showing off regional menu items paired with wines (or tequila). They set the price accordingly. Some I have enjoyed more than others, but I have never walked out of one feeling totaly disappointed, and taken to the cleaners as far as price is concerned - that has happened at various Signature places.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
For me (and for my money) I would much rather attend a food and wine pairing event at F&W than go to a signature restaruant at WDW. I don't find the food at WDW singature restaruants that great anymore, and when you factor in the skyrocketing prices, most Signatures, again to me, are not worth it. We could get into how I believe that the DDP has limited the menu choices, handcuffed the chefs, and created an artifical pricing system, but that is a thread that has been beat to death allready.

My point here is that the events at food and wine have no such limitations, because they are not DDP events. It is usually a chef and a wine (or in some cases tequila) expert who enjoy showing off regional menu items paired with wines (or tequila). They set the price accordingly. Some I have enjoyed more than others, but I have never walked out of one feeling totaly disappointed, and taken to the cleaners as far as price is concerned - that has happened at various Signature places.
Thanks for the input. We had decided against F&W but I'll definitely run this by him and talk a little more. We eventually want to give it a try but didn't want to spend the day waiting in lines. Seems stupid to say now that I'm typing it but I heard weekends are horrible and our only options of going would be Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Thanks for the input. We had decided against F&W but I'll definitely run this by him and talk a little more. We eventually want to give it a try but didn't want to spend the day waiting in lines. Seems stupid to say now that I'm typing it but I heard weekends are horrible and our only options of going would be Friday, Saturday or Sunday.
Friday morning/early afternoon would be ok. Unless you have an AP, I wouldn't bother though. WDW is packed with fun places to eat/drink.

sconti

I would consider attending the Food & Wine Festival on Friday right when it starts at 11am.

Also, over at Trader Sam's at the Polynesian, they have a Kona Beer Flight. If the wait for inside is too long, you can sit on the patio.

Zipadeelady

Original Poster
I would consider attending the Food & Wine Festival on Friday right when it starts at 11am.

Also, over at Trader Sam's at the Polynesian, they have a Kona Beer Flight. If the wait for inside is too long, you can sit on the patio.
I think we've decided against F&W but thanks for the info on Trader Sam's. I was a little concerned about waiting for a seat since I heard it's fairly small and there could be a long wait. I hadn't heard that there was a patio until now. I'm sure it's great inside but I'd be ok sitting on the patio too.

pax_65

Don't freak out......is Food and Wine really worth it? Never been.

I really enjoy Food and Wine BUT... as a big craft beer fan I often go to craft beer festivals that are usually about $50 for entry which INCLUDES all the samples you can drink. And they have far more variety and selection than F&W. A one-day ticket to Epcot will cost you $105.44 each and that doesn't include any food or beer. (The food, wine and beer are Disney priced - much higher than you'd pay at your neighborhood bar.)

If you plan your trip around F&W that's one thing but I just don't think you can justify that cost just to drink some craft beer. Just my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom