Trip Report How did you ever get the kid to like cruising? Sea turtles, mate… sea turtles. Surf n’ Turf 2017

To quote the Jewish Elvis, “Hello Again”. For those interested in a back story leading up to this short and sweet journey towards a series of firsts you can have at it here:
Going for gold, a Disney trip full of firsts!
What turned into the most stressful and ridiculous two day work week, we slept hard and fast to a 04:00 wake up on Wednesday morning. I opted to make breakfast and coffee for the ladies this morning to reduce our number of stops on the way down. I even filled up the night before to make our drive smoother. We cruised through the ATL and soon were filling up in Tifton before 9, half way there! Another 3.5 hours and we were turning on to 192. Lunch was the first order of business and the ladies outvoted me and chose Cracker Barrel. I was hopeful we would hear about our room during lunch but we had not. After lunch we hoped for the best and made for The Grand Floridian and soon we were passing through the gate.
GOPR1678.jpg

GOPR1679.jpg

GOPR1681.jpg

GOPR1684.jpg

As we pulled into the parking lot we still had not heard if our room was ready so I ran in and checked with the DVC desk. Our room was ready! We parked and made our way to our room.
GOPR1685.jpg

GOPR1686.jpg

GOPR1687.jpg

Up next: What a lobby!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Check in was smooth and uneventful. As noted, this was our first stay at VGF and I had a lot of preconceived notions of how the resort would look and feel during our stay. I had visions of a sterile nursing home devoid of color and theming. BOY WAS I WRONG! As soon as we entered the lobby and looked around I was taken back by the amount of detail throughout the entrance. In addition to the details there was complementary water, coffee, tea, and espresso for guests. Since we drank the kool-aid with AKL we were accustom to larger resorts. I was truly surprised how pleasantly small the VGF facility was!
GOPR1688.jpg

GOPR1689.jpg

GOPR1690.jpg

GOPR1691.jpg

GOPR1692.jpg

GOPR1693.jpg

GOPR1694.jpg

Up next: Our room!

lostpro9het

Original Poster
Can you not besmirch the real Elvis....the greatest entertainer is the history of forever...
Diamond is the greatest singer/songwriter of any generation. I’ll concede that Elvis was accomplished at holding a guitar and singing others pieces of work…#marriedlifechallenges

As I said, VGF is relatively small and we were at our room in no time!
GOPR1695.jpg

We were immediately hit with beautiful wood flooring and perfectly colored walls.
GOPR1697.jpg

GOPR1696.jpg

Now, immediately to your left you are met with a split bathroom that may have the most convoluted door system ever BUT it did include the same soaps/shampoos that are found on DCL which was a super surprise. We’ve never seen H20 Sea Marine in any other DVC room on property and we’ve stayed at them all, and this includes the Bungalows; so this surprise was very much appreciated! Another surprise we were not expecting was TWO SHOWERS!! I probably don’t have to tell you how nice this when it’s time to get up and get going in the morning.
GOPR1698.jpg

GOPR1699.jpg

GOPR1700.jpg

GOPR1701.jpg

What ended up being a real hit for the kid was the mirror embedded with a TV screen; she really thought this was fascinating!
GOPR1709.jpg

Like I said, the door setup in the bathroom felt a little like a psychological test for mice:

Up next: We actually leave the bathroom to enjoy the rest of the studio!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm really surprised at how lovely the GF DVC turned out to be. (I'm not a DVC member, by the way.) I always sort of thought that DVC accommodations would be somewhat "less than" the quality of the main hotels (regardless of which resort on WDW property). But I think they nailed it on this particular DVC.

Can't wait to read more and see more pictures! :)

imahistorygeek

I'm really surprised at how lovely the GF DVC turned out to be. (I'm not a DVC member, by the way.) I always sort of thought that DVC accommodations would be somewhat "less than" the quality of the main hotels (regardless of which resort on WDW property). But I think they nailed it on this particular DVC.

The Grand Floridian is in a class all on its own. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Poly, but in some aspects, they just can't compare.

*cough* VGF points *cough*

lostpro9het

Original Poster
After taking the in room tour the crew had differing ideas of what to do next. For me, after driving all morning, I just wanted to chill out and do nothing for a bit So I let the ladies know my plan was to hit the pool for a while before dinner. They wanted to check out the GF lobby while getting their Basin on. Apparently bath bombs are pretty important to them. So we parted ways for a short while and I made my way to the DVC pool area. Along the way I couldn’t not take a few more lobby pictures.
GOPR1717.jpg

GOPR1718.jpg

GOPR1736.jpg

I was pretty impressed with their pool as well as their kid area but what blew me away was their beer selection!! While they had maybe 4 on draft they had roughly 50ish different bottled beers on hand!! I started things off with a Kona Longboard then moved to something with a little more kick, the Chimay Belgian Strong.
GOPR1729.jpg

5f4e55ef6b1560887672320d58d1d630.jpg

GOPR1730.jpg

GOPR1731.jpg

GOPR1732.jpg

20170201_145824.jpg

20170201_145849.jpg

Soon I was joined by Laura and we relaxed together for a bit until it was getting time for Trader Sams to open. So we gathered our things and made for the room to change. Along the way I noticed the VGF DVC tree. If you have not read previous TRs then this may be new to you but in 2016 DVC planted a tree at each DVC resort to celebrate the 25th anniversary of DVC. It’s a neat idea however I think once this oak grows in a few years they may regret how close they planted it to the walkway and building…time will tell.
GOPR1733.jpg

GOPR1734.jpg

GOPR1735.jpg

Still to come: Getting our Sams on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom