News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

P_Radden

andysol

Hogwarts Express doesn't make sharp corners like are shown in the permits

I agree- but that's a decent sized support for just a simple gondola turn. And the vehicles would be much smaller than HE that it'd simply make the turn on the cables without an issue.

My friend who knows more about these things than I do sent me this:
7469072696_1bf8ccc6ec_z.jpg

And said "The metal track is the key. Ignore the brick work. This tram was built on top of the existing brick and concrete from the old maglev system they had."

He also mentioned that San Francisco cable cars make 90 degree turns without a problem and no driver.

Last edited:

devoy1701

I like the idea, but it seems like it's servicing such a small area of the resort though. I know that CBR and AoA are 2 of the largest capacity resorts on property, but it even further alienates AK/AKL/All-Stars section of the resort.

Also, I expect this to be timed with the opening of Star Wars Land or soon after?

P_Radden

And honestly guys, there is a good chance the sky lift gondola is from IG to the CBR station only, the other parts are more likely some sort of WedWay or smaller monorail/train similar to what they have at Orlando International Airport.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I like the idea, but it seems like it's servicing such a small area of the resort though. I know that CBR and AoA are 2 of the largest capacity resorts on property, but it even further alienates AK/AKL/All-Stars section of the resort.

Also, I expect this to be timed with the opening of Star Wars Land or soon after?
Maybe this is a test area to see not only how well it performs, but also how well it is received by the public. Performs well plus public approval = expansion to other areas.

Mandy M.

Is anyone worried this system may replace or reduce the current boat system? I would hate to see the DHS to Epcot boat go the way of Mr. Toad's Wild ride.

TP2000

Wow, this site is amazing. Two days ago @danlb_2000 posted a permit with odd shapes and a group of people figure out the mystery in less than 48 hours. This is huge news leaking out not in the way DIS wanted.

Agreed! Stuff like this is what makes this website great.

And you know there are a bunch of Disney execs in Orlando right now furious at the darn Internet Machine for figuring this out, all from publicly available information. That makes me laugh. Especially because of the top-secret pomposity and self-importance some of those Disney execs bathe in each day. It's just really funny!

lazyboy97o

I'm starting to wonder if MyMagic+ will end up having a role in all of this (someone correct me if this is already being done). Scan your MagicBand or card on the bus/boat/monorail/gondola, and Disney will track which forms of transportation is most popular at what times, at what destinations, and with which types of guests.
That is already possible without tapping via the long range radios in the MagicBands.

Gondolas are the speculation. Even if the gondolas are cheap or the nicest gondolas in existence, they both need support posts which aren't shown in the permit.
So a future permit will need to exist if a gondola were to exist.
After speaking with a friend and @danlb_2000 - I don't believe it will be a gondola at all. I believe it will be a cable driven monorail similar to MCO or Hogwarts express- just a smaller version of them. It would require minimal metal support structures as the cable is what "powers" it- not the vehicle itself. This would be a more stable and higher capacity and faster transportation system vs any gondola system you can come up with. All at a very similar cost.
It's a gondola.

And honestly guys, there is a good chance the sky lift gondola is from IG to the CBR station only, the other parts are more likely some sort of WedWay or smaller monorail/train similar to what they have at Orlando International Airport.
It's a gondola.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Is anyone worried this system may replace or reduce the current boat system? I would hate to see the DHS to Epcot boat go the way of Mr. Toad's Wild ride.
Since it isn't going to the Beach Club/Yacht Club, Swan or Dolphin, I don't see how they can eliminate the boats.

DDLand

@danlb_2000 Don't ya just love how all these sites are basically coping my map and our hard research as their "news"
The question now is what Disney does.

The cat is now out of the bag. Once a story breaks, it immediately makes others more comfortable about talking and sharing their own information. The trickle became a flow and is now on track to become a tidal wave.

So Disney has just been placed in an uncomfortable situation. They now have to either wait and let news sites put out stories in ever greater numbers, or get ahead of the story and announce very soon. It would have made some sense to announce at D23, but the rate of permit fillings suggested an announcement sooner.

Either way, the guys on here have just uncovered a pretty significant project that will end up costing tens of millions. Not bad... ;)

P_Radden

Agreed! Stuff like this is what makes this website great.

And you know there are a bunch of Disney execs in Orlando right now furious at the darn Internet Machine for figuring this out, all from publicly available information. That makes me laugh. Especially because of the top-secret pomposity and self-importance some of those Disney execs bathe in each day. It's just really funny!
LOL that makes me smile to think some TDO executive may now be monitoring some of us from all this stuff. But they can't be mad, we don't work for the mouse and are not bound to any NDAs.

Nubs70

This....this is an idea I can get behind. Out of the box thinking. Aligned with Walt's vision for the park. Solves a transportation problem potentially without fossil fuels.
Unless this is powered by a dedicated non fossil fuel power plant, it will still rely on fossil fuel and at best ofset a fraction of fossil power needs.

MatthewWho13

Wow, he really house cleaned the comments which fortunately also included the post that was falsely using my name.

Yeah he did, he's always rude to people that comment too, I might be paraphrasing but one of his replies to a reader was something along the lines of "no one is forcing you to visit my website" and it was to a rather benign comment. Ohh well, I digress.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom