News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Tonka's Skipper

The Gondola system would be very expensive. The towers and mechanics especially. problems:
1. The gondolas would be relatively low capacity and slow.
2. The loading and unloading would be slow and what about strollers and wheelchairs and scooters?
3. As someone else mentioned.......The towers and gondolas in the view from the parks and resorts.

We need more details.

AKK

Sachilles

transport guesses.jpg

For what it's worth mapping out connections, or potential connections. There is a lot on Buena Vista drive to connect. Gondola makes a lot of sense from IG to CBR. However the CBR to DHS link could be many things. A funicular railway could be the right choice there. Similar tech, just the cars are resting on rails, yet being pulled by cable. All provided by one transportation company. It would deal with Florida weather far better than a gondola.
https://www.doppelmayr.com/en/products/funicular-railway/

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Assuming a 4-person gondola with traditional loading setup, I'd guess between 500 to 1k hourly capacity. Might be able to boost that with some sort of moving load area (turntable or belt), but then the discussion shifts to the maximum number of cars that can be hanging from the cable.
yeah, it is going to be interesting to see how they are going to do it. Also, how are they going to market this as well. Is it faster? Safer?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The Gondola system would be very expensive. The towers and mechanics especially. problems:

I believe it would be the relatively inexpensive compared to other options. Also, capacity could be high depending on how they implement it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

peter11435

2. The loading and unloading would be slow and what about strollers and wheelchairs and scooters?
3. As someone else mentioned.......The towers and gondolas in the view from the parks and resorts.

We need more details.

AKK
1. Depending on the size of the gondolas capacity could be equal or greeter than the current bus system. Gondolas exist that can hold more than half what a bus holds.
2. Loading buses is also slow. This would likely be easier as wheelchairs and ECV could drive right in and out much more efficiently than the buses. Strollers also and they would not need to be folded like on the buses.
3. Sight lines could be an issue but it's also something that could be worked through and done properly

monothingie

I'm both Crunchy and Delicious!
Premium Member
Since I clearly have nothing to do at work this morning, I was playing around with Google Earth, overlaying all the official permit drawings and noticed a possible Disney Springs Route. Also with everything in scale, the "Elbow building" at the CBR is significantly bigger than the one at the Boardwalk. Again just me speculating, but it does seem interesting the potential expansion possibilities of this system.
aaa.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom