News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is... an interesting possibility. It would have to be elevated from a practicality standpoint - too many obstacles to build around otherwise. But I'm still trying to figure out the "Why?" part of the equation.
Why? To help sell timeshares. Interesting that it my stop at BWV too. Then they can spread some of the operating costs to both BW and CBR DVC properties.

peter11435

Transportation perhaps, but Gondolas? Really that's what we're going with? It doesn't make and sense either from cost or capacity perspectives. What ever this is it will have a track based system of one kind or another.
From a cost perspective it makes complete sense. By comparison to other forms of transit gondola is much cheaper than most and could be built over existing roadways and guest areas with little to no impact which also keeps costs low. Additionally the gondolas would need significantly less cast to operate than the fleet of buses necessary to serve the same routes.

Capacity is hard to determine at this point. Depending on the size and frequency of the gondolas it could be very similar to the current bus operation if not more. I've seen gondolas capable of carrying 35 passengers, that's roughly half that of a bus. But the gondolas could and likely would run far more regularly than the buses giving increased capacity. Additionally gondolas would be able to more easily accommodate strollers wheelchairs and ECV's which would also improve capacity and convenience.

Given the structures seen in the plans and the indicated routes there is no way this is rail based.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
skywaymk_turnc1996ah.jpg

Direction changing buildings are quite similar.

Is there any possibility this could be for underground utilities or infrastructure?

Underground utilities would be long lines, not discreet buildings. The structures are from the permits, the lines were added by us.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Forget the sightlines from inside the park, what about the sightlines from the gondola?

Coming into the back of Epcot at height would show off how much of a dump the back of world showcase is, not to mention destroying the carefully created illusions for each country.

Eiffel Tower on a roof I'm looking at you!!
Universal figured that out with their train ride;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Forget the sightlines from inside the park, what about the sightlines from the gondola?

Coming into the back of Epcot at height would show off how much of a dump the back of world showcase is, not to mention destroying the carefully created illusions for each country.

Eiffel Tower on a roof I'm looking at you!!

I don't think it would be a big problem. The only area the path would pass serious backstage areas is behind France in Epcot. At that point it could come in pretty low and they could add things to screen the back for France.

upload_2017-2-14_21-12-44.png

doctornick

I know it is all conjecture and fantasy at this point, but if this did come to pass and they created sort of a secondary T&TC south of CBR, it would not be difficult to envision another line from that point to Typhoon Lagoon and onto Disney Springs of this could be a continuation of the DHS line but redirected at that transport hub)

doctornick

There is already good alternate transport from Epcot to the Studios, so this would be more about getting people from CBR to Epcot or DHS.

As well as the potential new DVC next to CBR and even maybe AoA/Pop Century apparently.

Why? To help sell timeshares. Interesting that it my stop at BWV too. Then they can spread some of the operating costs to both BW and CBR DVC properties.

I don't think this would have a stop at BW -- the building there is on the far side of the parking lot and wouldn't have much practical value for someone staying at BW. It looks clearly like a redirecting building for the purpose of going the right direction to get to the Internat'l Gateway.

But, in terms of selling DVC at a new place next to CBR (and, yes, charging maintenance costs for the gondolas to the folks owning at such a DVC) it makes sense.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't think it would be a big problem. The only area the path would pass serious backstage areas is behind France in Epcot. At that point it could come in pretty low and they could add things to screen the back for France.

View attachment 189688

Indeed. I've seen recreation lift rides at beach resorts that were about only 20 feet off the ground the entire way. You only need height to get over roadways that have trucks going by underneath.

No Name

Wow. I am all for any system that reduces bus usage. Personally, I'm hoping that this is a PRT system, but gondolas would still be awesome. Whatever it is, I hope it gets built.

I didn't think a new elevated form of transportation was any more than a pipe dream before today, so this is great news and a great find.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
IMG_4186.PNG

From the CBR renovation thread. The location of the elbow shape buildings are not consistent with a boarding station. Same goes for the one located in the middle of the boardwalk parking lot. This seems more like a system to transport to and from The pop century area to and from Epcot and the studios. Seems like the ones who loose the most are those at CBR who have this thing cutting straight through the middle of the resort.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just to be clear on something, all the structures we are discussing here ARE being built, the permits have been filed so baring some last minute change these are happening. The only thing that is in question is whether this is actually a transportation system or are we just seeing what we want to see.

We should keep an eye on CBR. The permits for that work have been approved and we have seen further permits for the setup of construction trailers and a staging yard. Work on the building in the empty part of the resort could start at any time. Once it goes vertical we should be able to get a good idea of what it will be, assuming we don't get an announcement of some sort before that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom