Campsites at fort wilderness

Ken Gemuend

Original Poster
Has anyone checked out the jaw dropping inflated pricing for a campsite at fort wilderness camping, talk about gouging, you can get a hotel room on the property for less. My family has been going to FW for 30 years and have always expected to pay more because it is a beautiful campground, but this kind of greed is crossing the line and is forcing my family to stop going there out of principle. I would love to create a boycott. Comments?

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Are you sure you aren't looking at the Cabins by mistake?? Or looking for the most expensive time of year like the various holidays?? ;)

Schneewittchen

I'm not sure what you mean. You must not get out much. You can't compare Ft. Wilderness to a KOA, Jellystone or random mom n pop campground overlooking the I road. Yes, the going rate is $40/night for an unlevel gravel patch next to a cow pasture in Pennsylvania.....

But the $100+/night campground is pretty common these days. I compare Ft. Wilderness to a luxury resort in Arizona or waterfront campground on the east coast. We stay at Ft. Wilderness during Easter week, but I've paid more for a waterfront campsite in Ocean City, MD in summer or Key West in winter.

sxeensweet

You are correct that the campsites at Ft Wilderness are pricey, but the tent sites are roughly 40%-45% less than even the cheapest room on property.

https://www.mousesavers.com/2017-fort-wilderness-campsites-rates-season-dates/

https://www.mousesavers.com/2017-all-star-music-room-rates-season-dates/
Yeah that part bugged me there is no regular room on property I know of that is cheaper or even the same price as the campsites even with a good deal. That's why I was wondering if they accidentally looked at the Cabins. Lol ;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah that part bugged me there is no regular room on property I know of that is cheaper or even the same price as the campsites even with a good deal. That's why I was wondering if they accidentally looked at the Cabins. Lol ;)
Correct. Even the campsites with full hook ups come in under a value room.

Disney campsites have always been exorbitantly priced for the very same reason every other room on property is....It is in WDW.;)

Ken Gemuend

Original Poster
Are you sure you aren't looking at the Cabins by mistake?? Or looking for the most expensive time of year like the various holidays?? ;)
Some of the premium campsites for RVS are running anywhere between 150.00 and 175.00 per night, the All star movie , sports go between 80.00 and 120.00 per night depends on the deal, but that's not the issue its the cost of a slab of cement, I bring my house with me. I just looked up a campsite on beautiful sanibel island Florida, the sites are 55.00 per night.

DisneyJoe

Some of the premium campsites for RVS are running anywhere between 150.00 and 175.00 per night, the All star movie , sports go between 80.00 and 120.00 per night depends on the deal, but that's not the issue its the cost of a slab of cement, I bring my house with me. I just looked up a campsite on beautiful sanibel island Florida, the sites are 55.00 per night.

It comes down to location, location, location. What are you near on Sanibel? and what can you do?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Which is only a mere 3 hours and 11 minutes from WDW.;)

Schneewittchen

Besides the being on WDW property markup, you're paying for (or subsidizing) the perks, the built-in resort fees:
Buses, water taxis, boat rentals, pools, bicycles, horseback riding, clean bathhouses, wide paved sites that have trees, campfires with characters, electrical water pageantry, restaurants, gift shops, concierge, dinner shows, tennis, shuffleboard, hayrides, dog parks, playgrounds, archery, volleyball, arcades, tetherball, basketball courts....

WOW, it really is better than most campgrounds or motels....

Ken Gemuend

Original Poster
Which is only a mere 3 hours and 11 minutes from WDW.;)
I here you, but here is another example, less than 10 minutes away off the 192 is Sherwood Forest a nice campground and it is 40 to 50 bucks. Don't get me wrong we love Disney but there are a lot of people that can't afford 150 175 a night if we don't speak out they will think everyone is good with these prices and continue the hike charge.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I here you, but here is another example, less than 10 minutes away off the 192 is Sherwood Forest a nice campground and it is 40 to 50 bucks. Don't get me wrong we love Disney but there are a lot of people that can't afford 150 175 a night if we don't speak out they will think everyone is good with these prices and continue the hike charge.
I hate to be rude, but it really does not matter what a lot of people can afford. As long as the campgrounds continue to fill up, Disney will keep raising the prices to whatever the market will bear.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I don't know where you are looking, but a full hookup site in, say, October, is only $84 per night. For the same week, Pop Century is $154 and the All Star Resorts are all $139 per night.

Ken Gemuend

Original Poster
Besides the being on WDW property markup, you're paying for (or subsidizing) the perks, the built-in resort fees:
Buses, water taxis, boat rentals, pools, bicycles, horseback riding, clean bathhouses, wide paved sites that have trees, campfires with characters, electrical water pageantry, restaurants, gift shops, concierge, dinner shows, tennis, shuffleboard, hayrides, dog parks, playgrounds, archery, volleyball, arcades, tetherball, basketball courts....

WOW, it really is better than most campgrounds or motels....
I really do believe it is the best campground, but we do pay for a lot of those sporting things on top, boats horses, carts, bikes and so on, and it's very expensive like the carts at 59.00 per day, I can rent an suv for that kind of money, I guess nobody else feels the way I do on this kind of pricing, everyone else must have money to burn. LOL

Ken Gemuend

Original Poster
I hate to be rude, but it really does not matter what a lot of people can afford. As long as the campgrounds continue to fill up, Disney will keep raising the prices to whatever the market will bear.
I agree, but sometimes a lot of voices can make a difference.

sxeensweet

I agree, but sometimes a lot of voices can make a difference.

But that's the thing no one is really complaining about the prices of the campsites and they often are pretty full. Most I have seen have not brought up being unhappy with the prices for Ft. Wilderness. Not saying there isn't any that think that but it does not seem to be enough to push for change. Of which Disney will likely not listen anyway concerning this specific issue. Also as some have pointed out the prices are indeed usually less than a value. ;)

Lynne M

But that's not gouging. Gouging is defined is "charging an exorbitant price for a product or service when no alternative is available." An example would be charging $50 for a case of water after a natural disaster, when clean water is not readily available.

That doesn't apply to a campsite in a resort area that's simply priced higher than the many other campsites in the region. Disney is not under any moral or legal obligation to price their hotel rooms or campgrounds so that most people can afford them.

It's called "charging what the market will bear." Businesses set prices as high as they can, but not so high that people stop buying the product. Apparently those campsites are booking up very nicely at those prices, or Disney would lower them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom