Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side

Texas84

Nice find! Nope, no Pandora for us if this holds. Probably a good idea. We'll run by the new berm but not sure if we'll be able to see anything. Looks like they are planting trees.

(I liked the dirt trail)

LizaMarie89

My training runs are on trails that aren't usually very well kept and I find that I'm always so preoccupied with making sure I don't fall - I have a feeling a dirt trail would be the same.

Forgive my ignorance, new berm?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
My training runs are on trails that aren't usually very well kept and I find that I'm always so preoccupied with making sure I don't fall - I have a feeling a dirt trail would be the same.

I run either in the asphalt streets around my neighborhood (after all those poor working people have left for work), a 13 mile converted railway trail (also asphalt and canopied for shade) for long runs and the TM at the gym for those 3-5 mile runs that include a magic mile in Galloway's training regime. Would run the track at the University for that oh so amazing surface, but they frown on runners who aren't members of the track team using the track. Darn...

I fell during a 10k trail run and broke my left arm. Was more worried about checking my pacing at the time I fell than the condition of the trail....

Chet Dakota

I hated that path through the woods to WWoS. Narrow path, uneven surface with too many things to trip a runner. And then we end up running on gravel? I decided I was going to run on the grass and didn't care what they thought.

Oh yes, I forgot about the run path being on that baseball field gravel right there at the end. Terrible.

Chet Dakota

oooh let's hope this map is correct and it's better this year - no gravel paths because that sounds miserable.

But they are predicting the parking lot loop again :( But it also looks like running near a lot of construction? So maybe it is Pandora?

http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=586539 That's the site.

This is basically a reverse of last year which started at EPCOT with the exception of the route from DAK to Florida Way, where last year you went out and back to DAK and then finished at ESPN with the cut through the woods off of Osceola. So, about 2/3 of this is the same as last year except it is run in reverse. Meh.

surfsupdon

I'm not running, but I approve that course. Getting to run through HS Yacht Beach and World Showcase is terrific, and always my favorite places to run.

This course would have been nice for the new WineDine. THAT must have had the fewest in park time ever.

As soon as you get to HS at the foot of the Tower, you are running an awesome course. Have fun!

Texas84

There are some pictures in the Avatar threads. Looks like they are building an earth berm between the AK bus stop and Avatar land then planting trees on top of it. Probably to block views of backstage.

JohnD

How are crowds that weekend (4/21-23)?

I had to cancel a quick weekend trip (3/31-4/2) due to another commitment. The next available weekend that works for me is (4/21-4/24 -- Silver Pass re-opens 4/22). I wanted to get in a trip for F&G festival and to see Rivers of Light. Otherwise next available weekend for me is 6/2-4 -- last days before summer block out on my AP. I'd miss F&G festival and weather would be much warmer.

LAKid53

Premium Member
How are crowds that weekend (4/21-23)?

I had to cancel a quick weekend trip (3/31-4/2) due to another commitment. The next available weekend that works for me is (4/21-4/24 -- Silver Pass re-opens 4/22). I wanted to get in a trip for F&G festival and to see Rivers of Light. Otherwise next available weekend for me is 6/2-4 -- last days before summer block out on my AP. I'd miss F&G festival and weather would be much warmer.

Marathon weekends are usually crowded because of the extra 20,000 - 25,000 guests - runners and family/friends.. Touring Plans shows crowd levels between 6 and 7 that weekend. I'd go. You can laugh at all us crazy runners dressed up in SW costumes.

JohnD

Marathon weekends are usually crowded because of the extra 20,000 - 25,000 guests - runners and family/friends.. Touring Plans shows crowd levels between 6 and 7 that weekend. I'd go. You can laugh at all us crazy runners dressed up in SW costumes.

I need to be running but that's another story. I decided I had to be in AK on April 22. Earth Day and date of AK founding. That combined with runners everywhere probably means a pretty crowded day.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I need to be running but that's another story. I decided I had to be in AK on April 22. Earth Day and date of AK founding. That combined with runners everywhere probably means a pretty crowded day.

DAK is showing crowd levels of 7. And that's why. We visited on the 15th anniversary. Got several free anniversary buttons they handed out. Enjoyed the day celebrating both Earth Day and DAK's birthday.

JohnD

DAK is showing crowd levels of 7. And that's why. We visited on the 15th anniversary. Got several free anniversary buttons they handed out. Enjoyed the day celebrating both Earth Day and DAK's birthday.

This will be the 19th. Nothing special. But, hey, why not?

LAKid53

Premium Member
This will be the 19th. Nothing special. But, hey, why not?

That's right. Next year is the 20th. But they still will have special stuff, since it's Earth Day.

I haven't made my FP selections for that day yet. I think I'll avoid Animal Kingdom.

JohnD

That's right. Next year is the 20th. But they still will have special stuff, since it's Earth Day.

I haven't made my FP selections for that day yet. I think I'll avoid Animal Kingdom.

My schedule is:
4/21: Check in (evening) to All Star Music. Dinner at Boma (No parks. Silver Pass blocked out)
4/22: AK (Silver Pass re-opens). ROL evening.
4/23: Epcot. F&G Festival
4/24: MK half day. Or could decide Epcot at last minute for more of F&G festival. Return home.

LAKid53

Premium Member
My schedule is:
4/21: Check in (evening) to All Star Music. Dinner at Boma (No parks. Silver Pass blocked out)
4/22: AK (Silver Pass re-opens)
4/23: Epcot
4/24: MK half day. Or could decide Epcot at last minute for more of F&G festival. Return home.

The fact that the 21st is blacked out is why I renewed at the Platinum level. I would be running a 5k that morning, but couldn't visit a park. And a one day FL resident ticket costs more than the difference between a FL resident platinum and gold pass.

JohnD

The fact that the 21st is blacked out is why I renewed at the Platinum level. I would be running a 5k that morning, but couldn't visit a park. And a one day FL resident ticket costs more than the difference between a FL resident platinum and gold pass.

Because I work for state government, I'm not ready to upgrade beyond Silver (formerly "Seasonal"). I don't mind being blocked out over Easter and Summer especially. Wouldn't mind Christmas. But that's okay.

Oh, and in seeking approval from my supervisor, I requested to leave slightly early (approx 4pm) so that I arrive in the evening anyway.

LAKid53

Premium Member
My schedule is:
4/22: AK (Silver Pass re-opens). ROL evening.
4/23: Epcot. F&G Festival

Boma is great. Hopefully you'll be able to see some animals if it hasn't gotten too dark by the time your ADR rolls around.

My schedule:

4/19 - arrive
4/20 - race Expo and maybe a park?
4/21 - run
4/22 - run
4/23 - run
4/24 - sleep ALL day since I've gotten up early 3 days in a row
4/25 - head back to our town. Will Flying High still have shows that coming weekend?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom