Disney’s Q1 FY17 Earnings

EricsBiscuit

I expect worse results this year and next unless there are some surprise movies. 2015 and 2016 were abnormally good. But the biggest pain and ultimately Iger's legacy in my opinion has nothing to do with parks or movies but is the cable networks. Cable networks make up 50% of revenue.

Katie G

Original Poster
Bob was asked about extending contract...

when originally targeted 2018, was a very personal decision. Going to do what's in the best interest of the company. Confident successor will be chosen in good time, but will do what's best for the company.

What have you done to control costs in parks

24.4% operating margin for total parks & resorts. Expect continued cost management in parks

Katie G

Original Poster
Sizing of opportunity of Avatarland?

Open on May 27th. Very big land with unique design. E-ticket attraction unlike any we have built. Whole experience is sizable. Add-on to AK, which has always been a good park, but turn into a much fuller experience. Biggest new land in Florida in a really long time. We believe in the coming years, interest in Avatar will grow with movies coming into marketplace.

Katie G

Original Poster
Attendance is parks? weaker demand? attendance levels going forward?

Lapping of 60th, Hurricane Matthew, shift of holiday period. Introduced seasonal pricing 1 year ago, seeing some shift in demand. New offerings - GOTG in California. Don't read too much into this one quarter.

SorcererMC

Attendance is parks? weaker demand? attendance levels going forward?

Lapping of 60th, Hurricane Matthew, shift of holiday period. Introduced seasonal pricing 1 year ago, seeing some shift in demand. New offerings - GOTG in California. Don't read too much into this one quarter.
and per capita spending up 7% which offset the attendance decline (-5%).

overall hotel occupancy at ~91%, with future bookings up ~2%

Last edited:

SorcererMC

Shanghai Disneyland attendance more than 7 mln; strong attendance during Chinese New Year and potentially will have 10 mln by one year anniversary.

SorcererMC

I expect worse results this year and next unless there are some surprise movies. 2015 and 2016 were abnormally good. But the biggest pain and ultimately Iger's legacy in my opinion has nothing to do with parks or movies but is the cable networks. Cable networks make up 50% of revenue.

Iger made some interesting comments about there being too many commercial interruptions in television, when entrants to the marketplace don't have as many; it's something they are 'looking at'.

SorcererMC

Anyone know what he might have meant by "whole experience is sizable"?
From my notes; not an exact quote:

Avatarland is a big land, in design and architecture, and an e-ticket attraction unlike what we have built,
sizeable add-on to Animal Kingdom, added night-time safari experience and other entertainment,
so turning 4th gate into a much fuller experience, biggest new land that we’ve opened in a long time,
good for the whole business. We believe that interest in those movies is going to grow, we can’t quantify it,
but a lot of potential.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Iger made some interesting comments about there being too many commercial interruptions in television, when entrants to the marketplace don't have as many; it's something they are 'looking at'.

By commercials, does he mean ads for that little blue pill and the like? Not that I want to second guess the CEO of the largest entertainment company on the planet, but he does realize that's where broadcast TV gets its revenue from - ad time sold? And that unless that broadcast ABC channel is licensed to corporate (thinking LA and NY markets), that ABC channel I hardly ever watch except for Saturdays during the fall, is an affiliate and dependent on that ad revenue for its existence. Didn't he start out as a weatherman at a network affiliate?

:confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom