Disney World with a 6 week old....

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Hey everyone!

We just got the good news that we are expecting baby #2 and I'm due in September.

But we already have a Disney trip planned for November.

My rough estimation is that the new baby will be about 6 weeks old (maybe a little older) around the time of the trip so now I have a couple of questions.

My daughter will be 6 years old so I know she'll be okay, but is it worth going to Disney with a baby so little? I know he/she will probably (hopefully) sleep the majority of the time, but I've never taken a baby on a trip and I don't know what to expect.

Will the new baby be able to go on rides if I have him/her in a carrier or should we just take turns?

I'm just trying to decide if I should keep our trip for November or push it out until next year.

Thanks in advance!

TDGMedley

i say keep it. i have taken babies different times. just baby wear it is the easiest. they baby will be able to go on any ride that doesnt have height limits. and if you 6 year old want to do any big ride then swap out. and use the baby care stations in each park. very nice and helpful.

jaklgreen

Honestly, I am old school and would not take a baby that young. I would either bump up the trip and go pregnant or wait another year. Little ones don't have the immune system of their own until 2-3 months of age. You didn't say if you were flying or not but I would not want to take a baby on the plane either with the pressure to the ears and the recirculated air. Not to mention that September is very hot and humid and babies do not regulate their body temperatures well either. I know others will say I am over protective, but I did raise my kids the "old" way and can say that they are extremely healthy. Never had ear infections, or strep throat, or the flu, or any of the other "common" childhood illnesses. Plus you do not know how the baby is going to sleep. You will hear both sides, that some have taken their baby and its been great, while others it was not so great. It is your kid, so if you feel like it is something that you want to do then it does not matter what anyone else says. Congrats on the new baby.

kimberlymautz

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the advice so far! Yes, we are planning on flying, but unfortunately we'd have to either go in June (I don't want to fly that far away any closer to my due date just incase) or push it out until Fall 2018. I've got a lot to think about.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Hey everyone!

We just got the good news that we are expecting baby #2 and I'm due in September.

But we already have a Disney trip planned for November.

My rough estimation is that the new baby will be about 6 weeks old (maybe a little older) around the time of the trip so now I have a couple of questions.

My daughter will be 6 years old so I know she'll be okay, but is it worth going to Disney with a baby so little? I know he/she will probably (hopefully) sleep the majority of the time, but I've never taken a baby on a trip and I don't know what to expect.

Will the new baby be able to go on rides if I have him/her in a carrier or should we just take turns?

I'm just trying to decide if I should keep our trip for November or push it out until next year.

Thanks in advance!
Congratulations! I have experience in the taking the baby to Disney World department. My first child went when he was 6 months old. The second at 3 months. They did sleep most of the time.

Rides with no height requirement were generally fine with the baby either in our arms or the Baby Bjorn (front carrier). You couldn't bring the bucket carrier from the stroller on rides, as I recall. There are baby care centers in each park that have nursing rooms/chairs.

carriebeth

I have taken babies that young before. It worked out fine for me. But I have a lot of kids and I am used to managing doing pretty much anything with an infant in tow. Mine did sleep a lot while at Disney. My kids were also very active and alert, too, and seemed to enjoy the all the stuff going on to keep their minds entertained. At that age I would reccomend a stretchy wrap sort of carrier. I used a baby K'tan during a disney trip last year with a newborn. Baby was comfortable the whole time and so was I. I could even breastfeed with the baby in the carrier without anyone even knowing. You can also adjust the fabric to keep the sun off baby easily in that carrier.

I don't fuss about germ exposure etc. My kids are always super healthy never had ear infections, etc. I always thought it could partially be contributed to letting them get exposure to the world and build up an immunity. Plus, when they have 8 brothers/sisters, you are not going to keep baby isolated from germs unless you isolate the whole family.

The only thing to keep in mind might be you, however. It isn't very long after delivery. If you were to end up with a rough delivery or something, things could be uncomfortable for you or very tiring considering you will be sleep deprived and could possible have iron issues etc. Since I think this is only your second, its harder to say how things might go for you. It never really worried me too much because I have so many and never had any issues....I have an 11 lb baby and am out the next day doing things like restaining a deck or throwing a party at our house for 200 plus people. Of course its still no guarantee, a difficult delivery can always happen.

John C. Shepherd

3 months and 6 months are different then 6 weeks. Personally i wouldnt do it, free or not. Talk to them and see what they say. I wouldnt take a kid under age 3 to the park. Flight was easier and so was the park. This is my opinion and not that of the board, nor is it right for anyone else.

WDWDreamer4

I would definitely not cancel your trip. The characters LOVE the little babies!
We have taken all three of our children at young ages, DS at 5 weeks, DD1 at 4 months and DD2 at 4 weeks. We baby wore the whole time and mostly the baby slept. You can go on any ride that does not have a height restriction and keep them in the carrier. The only ride I had to take the baby out of the carrier was the carousel but only if you wanted to ride a horse. If you were in the stationary sleigh you could still baby wear.
It will be hot. DD2 at 4 weeks old was the second week in Sept. So we used a lot of indoor rides/shows to cool off and nurse. I also utilized the baby care centers whenever possible. I didn't hike across the park just to use them, but the AC was nice and they had quiet darker places to nurse. I also kept the baby in very little clothes, usually just a onsie to help with the heat of baby wearing.
I was also slightly concerned with how I would feel after giving birth and going to WDW, but I had no issues at all. DS being my first I was sore but not unbearable. By DD2 i didn't even notice it on our trip. Everyone's body is different, but if your first delivery went well the second should also.
I also think since you will be going with Grandparents that is the best time to go with a newborn. You will have extra hands to help.
Go and have fun!

KrzyKtty

Hi. I also booked a trip before I was pregnant, and then had my son. He was 10 weeks old (give or take a few days) when we took him. We also went with my mother and adult brother. I can't say it was easy because I was breastfeeding, so I had to take a lot of stops. Taking that many breaks became tiring. Also we went in December rather than September so heat wasn't an issue. Overall we made it work and my son was happy, healthy, and safe. I on the other hand was a bit frazzled by the end and declared in no uncertain terms that I would never take another child in diapers or bottles ever again lol. We also drove and didn't fly.

So at the end I would say it depends on what type of mother you are. If you have control issues like me and are high strung, I am not sure you will enjoy the experience. If you are more low key then it should be fine. Just plan plenty of breaks since you will be tired. Also your body will still be healing and don't push yourself.

While we were there my son's favorite rides were Pirates and Finding Nemo.

CaptainAmerica

I wouldn't do it. I've done 6 months, one year (twice), and two years and I'd recommend any of those. But six weeks would make me nervous. Orlando gets visitors from all over the world and I wouldn't bring a baby into that environment unvaccinated.

21stamps

I personally wouldn't do 6 weeks. I am a HUGE fan of baby wearing, but as an ex South Floridian I can tell you that baby wearing in June is best for very short excursions (as in walking from your car into the mall lol).

Not sure if you're nursing..but that would also be incredibly uncomfortable in the June heat.
I never say for anyone to push off anything if possible..but in your case I would. Go to the beach in June and relax, you'll be close to your room for when the baby gets hot. Plus a baby beach tent is easier and more comfortable than a stroller or wrap while walking around a theme park.

Wait until closer to 1, it will probably be much more enjoyable for both you and the child.

Good Luck!

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I'm with the naysayers here. I see people struggling with babies at WDW all the time and it always boggles my mind why someone would take a tiny recently sprouted human to Disney and spend their whole vacation shielding them from the herd. I wouldn't do it, there's just no way.

1. People don't pay attention, they're blinded by the magic and trip/push/fall over others in the parks CONSTANTLY.
2. People don't stay home when they're sick, and they don't cover when they cough and sneeze. Your tiny human will be subjected to the germs of 100,000 coughs and sneezes.
3. People are dirty, changing stations are gross after thousands of people use them, no matter how often WDW cast clean them.
4. Your tiny human will have no idea what's going on, and will need to be managed constantly. You or your SO will spend all of your time tending to the tiny human and not your other children or the magic of WDW.

jaklgreen

I wouldn't do it. I've done 6 months, one year (twice), and two years and I'd recommend any of those. But six weeks would make me nervous. Orlando gets visitors from all over the world and I wouldn't bring a baby into that environment unvaccinated.

m with the naysayers here. I see people struggling with babies at WDW all the time and it always boggles my mind why someone would take a tiny recently sprouted human to Disney and spend their whole vacation shielding them from the herd. I wouldn't do it, there's just no way.

1. People don't pay attention, they're blinded by the magic and trip/push/fall over others in the parks CONSTANTLY.
2. People don't stay home when they're sick, and they don't cover when they cough and sneeze. Your tiny human will be subjected to the germs of 100,000 coughs and sneezes.
3. People are dirty, changing stations are gross after thousands of people use them, no matter how often WDW cast clean them.
4. Your tiny human will have no idea what's going on, and will need to be managed constantly. You or your SO will spend all of your time tending to the tiny human and not your other children or the magic of WDW.

Yes to all of these. Is there a chance that the baby will be fine, of course. But do you really want to take the chance with your newborn's life and health? We can not protect our kids from everything, but things that are in your power, should be done, IMO.

I say to go. My daughters first trip was when she was four weeks old. I did a lot of baby wearing and she slept most of the time. She went in all rides without a height restriction. Her second trip was when she was 7 months old and the first was easier by far. People talk about germs but honestly they will come in contact with germs everywhere. Do what is best for you and your family and don't worry about what other people say or think. Congratulations!!

CaptainAmerica

People talk about germs but honestly they will come in contact with germs everywhere.
I'm sorry but this statement is a tremendous misrepresentation of the environment at Walt Disney World, or the Orlando International Airport for that matter. People are visiting from countries with health standards that are drastically different than what we're used to in the United States. The pathogens flying around the Magic Kingdom are nowhere near what a baby would encounter at a church or Walmart in Cleveland.

I'm no germaphobe. We took out daughter to the mall for a portrait at three days old. But herd immunity can break down when there are large numbers of foreigners.

Ekohlby

Make sure you have trip insurance. You don't know if your body will be ready for that. You don't know if you will get a challenging baby either. My second child did go at two months old. It went quite well. I wouldn't have healed enough to go before then though. I ended up with a c-section. I had a c-section with my third child and couldn't even handle walking down one step until 6 weeks after he was born due to some complications. As for my first, my body would have been ready at 6 weeks but he screamed pretty much all the time unless he was nursing - and I mean ALL the time. Only one of my three slept much at that age, despite what the book say. That wasn't my second, but she was good natured and easy going, happy as long as she was in the sling.

So, yes it may work out wonderfully. But approach it with caution because there are variables you won't know until after baby is here. Good luck!

Disney Dad 3000

I think it's going to boil down to only you knowing if you'll be able to handle that trip so you will be so shortly removed from delivery, etc. You never know what kind of baby you are going to have either (congrats by the way). I won't get into all the environs, etc. as the baby can just as easily get something from a family member who comes to visit, a trip to the mall, etc.
I'm not sure I'd 100% be ready for a baby that young in the park. We first took ours when he was about 7 months and only went in the park a day.
To me the best thing in your favor is the time of year. I think you are much likelier to have success with the trip since it's November and not the ridiculously hot days of summer/early fall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom