So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 14: Greatest Hits (Official Hub Thread)

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Welcome one and all to the latest installment of the historic "So, You Want to be an Imagineer". This season's subtitle, "Greatest Hits" is very appropriate considering the incredible cast we managed to line up in less than 48 hours after sign ups were posted! This is an "All Star" season in two different ways.

The obvious one is the presence of Team Mist, a team composed entirely of returning players from the VisionsFantastic era of the game along with season 13 winner RMichael as the official representation for the start of the WDWMagic era. This essentially makes this season a 1/3rd "Fans vs. Favorites" format...Something we beat Survivor to the punch on, by the way. ;)

The more important way in which this is an All Star season, and alas the main focal point of the competition in general...is the projects. This is truly the first "All Star" season where projects of the past are the main star attraction. We've got 14 of the most legendary concepts to come out of the VisionsFantastic era of the game which will be reworked and revisited in this new age of Armchair Imagineering where the sub-culture at large has evolved in large part thanks to the dedication to members of the very community this latest incarnation of SYWTBAI is being hosted on. With that in mind, let's bring in the teams.

Team Mist, named in honor of veteran player and my personal friend @monkey92514
hqdefault.jpg

- @Basketbuddy101
- @mickeyfan5534
- @DisneyManOne
- @RMichael21
- @TrevorA
- @JokersWild
- @Snoopy

Team Younger, named in honor of famed Season Seven player and real-life Imagineer MouseketeerCole, author of the renowned book "Theme Park Design".

d0cb466b4c72be47af5e81d0242d255b.jpg

- @MCParradox
- @NAdoTEg
- @StevenU
- @ThatGuyFromFlorida
- @IAmNotAHufflepuff
- @Magic Feather
- @Pionmycake

Team Cap, named in honor of SYWTBAI channel co-host extraordinaire and Captain America superfan BlueDragonFive!
EFX00350lg.jpg

- @MonorailRed
- @spacemt354
- @David2319
- @Brer Oswald
- @CraniumCommand89
- @kmbmw777
- @Angels and Disney's

Last thing I'll do before getting to the project is a copy and paste of @MANEATINGWREATH's guide to game terminology for any of our new players who might have missed it in the sign-ups thread.

1. Project Leader: This one is simple. For each round, each of the three teams will be led by a bold and fearless Project Leader. It is the Project Leader's sworn duty to lead the brainstorming of their team, organize the project for completion, and turn it in right on schedule. At the end of each round, the Project Leader will also select the winner of...

2. The PoMVP: A long-standing tradition of SYWTBAI, the PoMVP is a guaranteed bit of immunity for one - and only one - round. The Project Leader will give the PoMVP to the player who contributed the most to their team's success at the end of each round, providing them with protection from elimination in the following round. The process repeats at the end of the following round, and so on. Later, following a mid-season merge, we, the judges will hand out the PoMVP to the...well...to the MVP!

3. Diamond PoMVP: Golly, it sure is pretty, Clark. I'm just going to copy & paste Tiki's description from above... "Diamond PoMVP can play their PoMVP (Power of MVP) on themselves or a person on their team of their choosing one time from round one until the round before semi-finals. Play the Diamond PoMVP gives the player an automatic free pass to the next round without the stress of elimination. It's definitely a great tool to have at your disposal going into what looks to be a very promising and competitive season!" Keep in mind, there are only three Diamond PoMVP this season, so play Festival of Imagination to win one!

4. Walt's Vault: Walt's Vault is the Pandora's Box of SYWTBAI. It can be a really good thing! But, it can also be a really, terrible, horrible, not-so-good thing... Trust me, I've been there before... It can really hurt and, worst of all, it's completely random. No one knows what's inside, except for Tiki and I... Should you open it? Well... It's up to you. Sometimes, if not a good portion of the time, its contents are super helpful and beneficial! Other times... Well, I'll leave it to your imagination. ;)

And without further ado, at long last, I present the first prompt...

Season 14, Project One: Who Crossed Over Roger Rabbit

Inspired by Mirror Disneyland's Toon Town in Season Eight
who-framed-roger-rabbit-disney-characters-looney-tunes-characters.jpg

This one is legendary. So legendary in fact that an image which came from the original incarnation of this project...the Droopy Tower of Terror bellhop, has since become the mascot of the entire game and channel, and an icon for the creative possibilities we hope to achieve here. With that in mind, this is a really good place to start. The project is simple, but can be taken in any number of directions.

For this round, teams must design a hypothetical Toon Town as a major land. The placement is irrelevant, just concentrate on making this as grand as possible, and a step beyond the traditional Mickey's Toon Town. In an effort to take this project to that next level, the famous twist to the prompt here is that you may design your attractions with ANY animated character owned by any company. There are no limits and no barriers between studios and different IPs, and those factors won't be included in the realism department.

This is designed to be as blue sky as you can possibly get with the concept. Were truly looking for a Toon Town which could act as a major anchor to a park, and one that completely recreates the "anything can happen" feel of the Toon Town made famous by Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

One final requirement...This land must feature a "Toon-ified" version of either The Haunted Mansion or the Tower of Terror as one of its major attractions. The Toon Town Tower from Season Eight is a personal high watermark for me, whereas the Haunted Mansion project from season 13 left a lot of untapped potential for the concept. Which one you choose is entirely up to you.

Good luck teams. Can't wait to see the end results. This project is due Tuesday, February 14th at 11:59 PM Eastern!

One last note...We will announce who won a Diamond PoMVP from each team, as well as the winner of the first key to Walt's Vault as soon as we have that all finalized.

Last edited:

MANEATINGWREATH

Here are my final scores for Disney-Universal Studios, the third and final project of the Festival of Imagination. Assuming @TheOriginalTiki and I will discuss the projects on-air and in-depth at a later time, I will only be posting the scores tonight. If this hypothetical podcast never happens, I will provide written reviews at the would-be time. :p

@spacemt354 - Disney-Universal Studios

Creativity: 9/10
Detail: 8/10
Realism: 9/10
Presentation: 8/10

Total Score: 34/40

@kmbmw777 - The World

Creativity: 7/10
Detail: 7/10
Realism: 7/10
Presentation: 7/10

Total Score: 28/40

@Pionmycake - It All Started with a Rabbit

Creativity: 10/10
Detail: 10/10
Realism: 10/10
Presentation: 10/10

Total Score: 40/40

*NOTE: I know I said I wouldn't go in-depth on any of the reviews, but I must say, this project might be one of my all-time favorite projects in the history of So, You Want to be an Imagineer.

@Magic Feather - Disney-Universal's CineMagic World

Creativity: 8/10
Realism: 8/10

Total Score: 32/40

@Basketbuddy101 - Disney's Universal Studios

Detail: 9/10

Total Score: 33/40

As soon as Tiki has tallied his scores (he is currently in the midst of a podcast), we will unveil the winners of the Diamond PoMVP's and key to Walt's Vault. Great work to all and may the best armchair Imagineer win!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Here are my final scores for Disney-Universal Studios, the third and final project of the Festival of Imagination. Assuming @TheOriginalTiki and I will discuss the projects on-air and in-depth at a later time, I will only be posting the scores tonight. If this hypothetical podcast never happens, I will provide written reviews at the would-be time. :p

@spacemt354 - Disney-Universal Studios

Creativity: 9/10
Realism: 9/10

Total Score: 34/40

@kmbmw777 - The World

Creativity: 7/10
Detail: 7/10
Realism: 7/10
Presentation: 7/10

Total Score: 28/40

@Pionmycake - It All Started with a Rabbit

Creativity: 10/10
Detail: 10/10
Realism: 10/10
Presentation: 10/10

Total Score: 40/40

*NOTE: I know I said I wouldn't go in-depth on any of the reviews, but I must say, this project might be one of my all-time favorite projects in the history of So, You Want to be an Imagineer.

@Magic Feather - Disney-Universal's CineMagic World

Total Score: 32/40

@Basketbuddy101 - Disney's Universal Studios

Detail: 9/10

Total Score: 33/40

As soon as Tiki has tallied his scores (he is currently in the midst of a podcast), we will unveil the winners of the Diamond PoMVP's and key to Walt's Vault. Great work to all and may the best armchair Imagineer win!
Wow. I am truly honored. I had a ton of fun writing this up! Glad to guys liked it!

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
See my avatar for the tease to project two. This is perhaps the most cryptic teaser I've ever done. Just a hint, the next project has absolutely NOTHING to do with Batman or any comic book characters for that matter.

JokersWild

See my avatar for the tease to project two. This is perhaps the most cryptic teaser I've ever done. Just a hint, the next project has absolutely NOTHING to do with Batman or any comic book characters for that matter.
If only Season 10s Batman project was making a comeback

MANEATINGWREATH

I know what the next project is, and you seriously have me stumped with your avatar...

df4b520b8d0a6dd5e6ece0e07dc5b9b5.gif

No, not that avatar. Come on, Internet.

Now for the moment you've all been waiting for... Though Tiki, having finally made the trek to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom today, will reveal his scores for Disney-Universal at a later time, the two of us have come to an agreement in regards to which three contestants have earned a Diamond PoMVP.

Remember, we have made the decision to select one contestant from each team to attain a Diamond PoMVP. This A) balances the distribution, B) provides an equal opportunity, and C) doesn't overcrowd a team with too much invincibility. Regardless, the Diamond PoMVP holder from each team had the highest accumulated score from the three Festival of Imagination projects, so truly, they have earned it.

So please, put your hands together for the winners of this season's Diamond PoMVP's!

From Team Cap... @spacemt354!

From Team Mist... @DisneyManOne!

From Team Younger... @Pionmycake!

Congratulations! To reiterate the function of a Diamond PoMVP, this is, for lack of a better description, your temporary safety blanket. If you are at risk of elimination, you can protect yourself. If you see someone else at risk of elimination on any team, you can use it to protect them. However, it only works one time... After that, it's pretty much useless... But again, congratulations! The Diamond PoMVP is valid all the way from Round One to the round before Semi-Finals. Just don't use it as an excuse to sit out of projects. ;) It's only valid for that one glorious use.

Also, our runner-up in Festival of Imagination, @Magic Feather has obtained the first key to Walt's Vault! We are currently waiting on a decision as to whether or not she would like to open it... Stay tuned.

JokersWild

Season nine was Batman: The Ride. Season ten was Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy. Both were absolutely fantastic projects. I still love the idea of casting Timothy Spall as a Nolan-ized Mad Hatter.
The Nolan project was probably my favorite. I still think that Through the Looking Glass was my best work ;). I've been meaning to take another look at it, actually. Someday, I suppose....

MANEATINGWREATH

@Magic Feather has opened Walt's Vault. The result? A twist in the original prompt. As per her choice, Team Mist - and only Team Mist - can no longer use cartoon IPs or characters created BEFORE 1985. That being said, they still have a wonderful selection of characters to choose from (I.E. Courage, Darkwing Duck, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, etc.).

Good luck, Team Mist...

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Since some times tags don't show up as notifications when they're in a list, I'm going to go ahead and individually tag the people who haven't shown up yet. We'll keep doing this every 48 hours just to ensure we've done everything we can to remind everyone the game has started. Keep in mind some of the people when they first signed up thought it was starting in March, so moving it up so fast might have affected some of the activity.

With that in mind, @Snoopy, come on down!
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/team-mist-season-14-project-one-brainstorming-thread.924215/

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Totally forgot to officially post this, but here are the teams @MANEATINGWREATH and I drafted during the cast assessment.

Team Schultz (Tiki)
1. @MCParradox
2. @Pionmycake
3. @David2319
4. @RMichael21
5. @Snoopy
6. @Magic Feather
7. @NAdoTEg
8. @Basketbuddy101 (originally picked Poe Dameron)
9. @Angels and Disney's
10. @StevenU

Team Bluth (ManEatingWreath)
1. @DisneyManOne
2. @spacemt354
3. @MonorailRed
4. @JokersWild
5. @TrevorA
6. @mickeyfan5534
7. @kmbmw777
8. @IAmNotAHufflepuff
9. @ThatGuyFromFlorida
10. @Brer Oswald

It's also worth noting that the 21st player on the board who didn't get picked, @CraniumCommand89...has already stepped up to the plate as Project Leader for Team Cap and exceeded our expectations. He's vowed to me that he's on a season-long arc to prove himself after not getting picked, and I love that dedication and can't wait to see where it goes! Good luck everyone, were off to a great start so far. 18/21 members of the cast are present in the first full day of the game, and I'm sure the other three will surface in due time. This is definitely one of the most smooth season launches we've ever had! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom