Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi NO SPOILERS!!!!

lazyboy97o

Actually I believe the VHS special editions had the opening crawl changed with the new numbers. While the outside box still just called it Star Wars the crawl says Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope. I've got a set somewhere I just need a VHS player to double check what I've found on the youtubes.
The opening crawl was edited to read "Episode IV: A New Hope" well before the Special Editions or any VHS releases. The Empire Strikes Back has always been Episode V and Star Wars was edited to reflect that decision in theatrical re-releases.

prberk

Revenge of the Jedi was not a rumor. Official posters with that name were made. The branded numbering and subtitling only really started with The Phantom Menace. The various VHS releases and even the Special Editions were Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

I actually had started to state that about Revenge as fact, but I backpedaled a little before clicking "Post Reply" in case my memory was making rumor into fact. Glad to see my memory was right! I know it was a big conversation piece back then for my high school self. Would a Jedi actually seek revenge? Or if he fought would he call it revenge? He would protect and defend, and restore balance... but revenge was too far... or was it? That debate was right up there with whether or not Han shot first. LOL.

Actually I believe the VHS special editions had the opening crawl changed with the new numbers. While the outside box still just called it Star Wars the crawl says Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope. I've got a set somewhere I just need a VHS player to double check what I've found on the youtubes.

The opening crawl was edited to read "Episode IV: A New Hope" well before the Special Editions or any VHS releases. The Empire Strikes Back has always been Episode V and Star Wars was edited to reflect that decision in theatrical re-releases.

And you all are right about the numbering. It was there from the time that Star Wars was re-released the first time (about 1978) in the crawl, but not in the main advertising, even for the VHS and even DVDs. Mostly they advertised them as Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. They connected the latter two to the series in posters and video boxes by wrapping the Star Wars logo around the main title, but the number only appeared in the crawl.

The prequels changed all of that, of course, but mostly I think it was because there were beginning to be so many of them, and they wanted to connect them more concretely to the "Star Wars" franchise. (Yes, by then it was more of a marketing "franchise" driving these decisions than an organic connection; but that is a discussion for another day.)

I can see the generational change, though, and the effect of the marketing through the years. The younger generations I find now quick to use the numbers, even for the original trilogy, much more than people before them. For nearly thirty years I did not know ANYONE who would have referred to the original trilogy films by their number; but I find young people now calling them "Episode IV" or "V" or "VI" . And I definitely hear "A New Hope" now, where I never used to.

The craziest thing is that in December a late 20-something friend actually ARGUED with me about the original. She argued that it was Episode IV: A New Hope from the very beginning. I had kept calling it "the original Star Wars," and she asked me if I meant A New Hope, and I said, "Yes, but it wasn't originally called that," and she proceeded to argue with me that it was. I had to explain to her that I was there, and it wasn't until later that next year.... Funny.

lazyboy97o

The craziest thing is that in December a late 20-something friend actually ARGUED with me about the original. She argued that it was Episode IV: A New Hope from the very beginning. I had kept calling it "the original Star Wars," and she asked me if I meant A New Hope, and I said, "Yes, but it wasn't originally called that," and she proceeded to argue with me that it was. I had to explain to her that I was there, and it wasn't until later that next year.... Funny.
Not as bad as people who told me I didn't understand Roman numerals; that IV is 1, V is 2 and VI is 3, because it would be stupid to start a movie series at four.

prberk

Not as bad as people who told me I didn't understand Roman numerals; that IV is 1, V is 2 and VI is 3, because it would be stupid to start a movie series at four.

Sadly, I can believe it.

If you really want to confuse them, write it in cursive!!

I find it amazing how many students today simply cannot read what I grew up calling, "writing." (Cursive was "writing," and printing was just that: "printing.")

But back to SW: I remember many people thinking how cool it was that they now said SW was actually Episode IV of a nine-episode set of three trilogies.

By the way, another thing that I think has gotten lost in later years is the concept that it was supposed to be a swashbuckling homage to the over-the-top adventure-packed sci-fi shorts of George Lucas' childhood at the movies. To some extent I think that is what started to get lost, possibly even to George, when he made the prequels and made them so much more serious than the tone of the original trilogy. I think people today have gotten so caught up in analyzing the "Star Wars universe" and "canon" that it has totally taken away some of the popcorn-and-heroes, swashbuckling tone of the original that paid homage (like Raiders also) to the '30s sci-fi adventures. (Look at the original poster art and at the scene of Luke carrying Leia across on a rope swing.) Some fun still exists, but I just think younger generations may not realize that the fun and adventure was over the top on purpose.

Last edited:

21stamps

I have to share my excitement.. our R2D2 is FINALLY working again!!!!! It hasn't moved in about a year, we thought it was done forever..all of the sudden, it works!!!
IMG_1350.PNG

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Sadly, I can believe it.

If you really want to confuse them, write it in cursive!!

I find it amazing how many students today simply cannot read what I grew up calling, "writing." (Cursive was "writing," and printing was just that: "printing.")

But back to SW: I remember many people thinking how cool it was that they now said SW was actually Episode IV of a nine-episode set of three trilogies.

By the way, another thing that I think has gotten lost in later years is the concept that it was supposed to be a swashbuckling homage to the over-the-top adventure-packed sci-fi shorts of George Lucas' childhood at the movies. To some extent I think that is what started to get lost, possibly even to George, when he made the prequels and made them so much more serious than the tone of the original trilogy. I think people today have gotten so caught up in analyzing the "Star Wars universe" and "canon" that it has totally taken away some of the popcorn-and-heroes, swashbuckling tone of the original that paid homage (like Raiders also) to the '30s sci-fi adventures. (Look at the original poster art and at the scene of Luke carrying Leia across on a rope swing.) Some fun still exists, but I just think younger generations may not realize that the fun and adventure was over the top on purpose.

My daughter (7) calls cursive "Fancy". She came up to me one day and said "Look! I can read Fancy!" There was a diary page in the book she was reading written in cursive. Many schools no longer teach cursive at all. When I was in elementary school (mid/late 80s) we were only required to use it for one year. The year we learned it. They next year were were told we could write in cursive or print which ever we were most comfortable with. Most of us went back to printing.

prberk

My daughter (7) calls cursive "Fancy". She came up to me one day and said "Look! I can read Fancy!" There was a diary page in the book she was reading written in cursive. Many schools no longer teach cursive at all. When I was in elementary school (mid/late 80s) we were only required to use it for one year. The year we learned it. They next year were were told we could write in cursive or print which ever we were most comfortable with. Most of us went back to printing.

I clicked "like" on this because I wanted to acknowledge that I appreciated your story, but if "sad" were an option here I would have picked that. I think it is sad that so many students are not taught to write these days. When done regularly, not only is it "fancy" looking, but it is also faster than printing -- which, I think, is more likely the reason that it came into existence in the first place. But along the way it became something ("handwriting") that could be identified stylistically with a person.

(For those who might not know, "writing" traditionally refers to "cursive" as opposed to "printing." Something tells me that many young people will not have been taught that distinction either... Sigh.)

Back your regularly scheduled programming...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom