Disney Princess 1/2

TDGMedley

Original Poster
Hi, I have never done a Disney run before. Ill looking at doing to the Disney Princess 1/2 marathon in 2018 with our next trip to Disney for my daughters 3rd Birthday. My question is, I know the race is on a Sunday. If we get there Saturday morning is that enough time for the packet pick up. and any info on fitting the run into the trip, and and about the run.
thank you

dreamfinder

Hi, I have never done a Disney run before. Ill looking at doing to the Disney Princess 1/2 marathon in 2018 with our next trip to Disney for my daughters 3rd Birthday. My question is, I know the race is on a Sunday. If we get there Saturday morning is that enough time for the packet pick up. and any info on fitting the run into the trip, and and about the run.
thank you

The expo will have hours on Saturday, yes. The 2017 expo will be open until 3PM on Saturday, 2018 will most likely be similar. So if you will be there early enough to get to the expo before 3, then you should be fine. I'd suggest planning on getting on a bus to the expo by 1 at the latest, just to allow for time in case you just miss a bus, and to actually get to the expo. Merchandise will most likely be pretty picked over by that time, and no idea what vendors would have left.

As far as fitting a run into the trip, it really depends on your fitness level and anticipated finishing time. If you anticipate a sub 2-hour half, then you could potentially make it to a park for a 9AM opening (5:40ish start time + 2 hours run + shuttle back + shower + bus to park). If you anticipate a 3 hour half, you may not be starting until closer to 6, and then may not make it into a park until 11. So the impact to your trip could be fairly minimal (other than the lack of sleep) or it could end up taking a park morning away from you.

dreamfinder

Thank you, is it better to book on your own or with rundisney

Book what, lodging? runDisney doesn't do any bookings direct anymore I don't think, they have farmed it all out to various travel agencies.

As to better, really depends on what you need. Most of the agencies will have registration spots they will bundle into vacation packages, which may be beneficial as the Princess weekend still seems to be selling out quickly. But those packages will usually only include certain hotels, require certain length of stay, tickets purchases etc. Some will be at a decent discount over rack, but may or may not be better than any discounted rates available. I'd suggest looking over the information currently available for the 2017 travel providers to get an idea of what it may entail next year.

TDGMedley

Original Poster
ok sorry last question, i was reading and it said host resorts will take you to the run. do all disney resorts shuttle you there?

dreamfinder

ok sorry last question, i was reading and it said host resorts will take you to the run. do all disney resorts shuttle you there?

Any host resort. Depending on the race will determine what is listed as a host resort. But at this point for the half marathon weekends, it is usually pretty much every resort on property. Each race currently listed here -> https://www.rundisney.com/travel/disneyworld/ does mention any resort. If they brought back smaller events like the Everest Challenge, that usually only included a handful of resorts.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Everything @dreamfinder said. Unless something changes, all resorts are host resorts. I would, though, think carefully about which resort you choose. Races have a 5:30 am start time, busses start running at 3:30 am and you may have to wait for several buses before you can board - the buses to/from the Expo and races are charters, not Disney Transportation. I belive the Swan and Dolphin are included in the buses.

There's an existing discussion for the Princess Half at this link:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disneys-princess-half-marathon-weekend.786232/

I'd put that thread on your watched thread list. It goes dormant shortly after the races are completed (no posts), comments pop up again around registration time and about a month before the race weekend, it's active again. The thread started back in 2011. I'm surprised it's only 22 pages....

Good luck - we hope to see you there in 2018!

TDGMedley

Original Poster
Thank you, Im super excited about running in 2018, I just ran my fist 5k in a long time this past week end. and have already signed up for 2 more runs this month. Im am thinking about staying at pop century, going with a couple other groups that will not be running.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Any host resort. Depending on the race will determine what is listed as a host resort. But at this point for the half marathon weekends, it is usually pretty much every resort on property. Each race currently listed here -> https://www.rundisney.com/travel/disneyworld/ does mention any resort. If they brought back smaller events like the Everest Challenge, that usually only included a handful of resorts.

I wish they'd bring back Everest... Planned on doing it in 2015, but had to skip that year, not realizing it was the last. :(

LAKid53

Premium Member
Thank you, Im super excited about running in 2018, I just ran my fist 5k in a long time this past week end. and have already signed up for 2 more runs this month. Im am thinking about staying at pop century, going with a couple other groups that will not be running.

If you're going to stay at a Value, I'd pick Pop or AoA, thus avoiding the tour groups (cheerleaders, Pop Warner, etc.) that have a tendency to stay at the All Stars. Plus, you'll have dedicated race buses for your resort, instead of sharing like AS do.

Registration opens at noon on May 2nd. If you're DVC or AP, early registration starts April 27th. As Dreamfinder mentioned, Princess is very popular, so be ready at noon. I'd create an account on Active.com before registration opens - runDisney ports you over to that site to actually register and pay - you can be in a holding pattern for several minutes waiting for a spot to open to register. You don't want to waste time creating an Active.com at the same time you're trying to register. runDisney recommends that you sign in to your account before you start the registration process since it makes things go faster. If things get really swamped, you'll get a message that registrations are on hold - this doesn't mean the race is sold out. Another good reason to watch that other Princess Half thread - we'll all be complaining about what a pain the site can be to register...and that we can't believe the Glass Slipper sold out in 10 minutes!

You can pre-order merchandise through your registration - runner's bundle (typically Tervis cup and visor), race specific pins and a jacket. Not all the pre-order merchandise is available for purchase at the Expo. And if you're arriving on Saturday, there will be very little left by then. People load up their baskets with the runDisney merchandise...and then sell the items on eBay for triple the price they paid.

LAKid53

Premium Member
thank you, I may have a account already need to look again. I signed up it will be 3 years ago but then got pregnant and had to cancel, now 2 babies later im just now trying to do this again.

Life does have a tendency to get in the way of our plans, doesn't it. ;)

But where else do you get to dress up as your favorite Disney Princess, run through the parks AND THEY GIVE YOU A MEDAL!!!!

:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom