New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

D

Deleted member 107043

I'm not sure I'm qualified to determine what's "out-of-scale", and that's actually subjective to an extent, but the neighboring properties are a mix of designs and character.

The hypocrisy of this argument is pretty vexing considering how low the City of Anaheim''s design standards are. I can't think of one non-Disney owned building in the immediate area around the proposed bridge that's any more noteworthy or interesting than the overpass.

TP2000

I do agree with the look of the Bridge issue. Disney focused on the areas where their guests will be on it (Walkway and safety fences on the edge), and built a very basic bridge (Think the Disneyland Drive Bridge and Downtown Disney). The city should make Disney spend some money to make the street views of the bridge a bit nicer than Generic).

The rest is pretty much what we have talked about in the past....

Should be interesting to see the date when the actual hearing will be held. Disney is worrying behind the scenes about possible delays.

The aesthetics of the bridge is the one thing I agree with the Harbor merchants about. TDA should be forced to come up with a better looking design. As it is now, it looks like a freeway overpass with some abstract Mickey heads stuck to it. This is a typical example of Disney being cheap when it thinks it can get away with being cheap.

The one other bit of criticism I have for TDA is your note on them being worried about delays. Seriously, Disney? You dragged your feet and your pocketbook on this project for years. Miceage has reported this parking structure has been ready to go for years and years, but successive TDA executives delayed it to make the bottom line look better. TDA execs are horrible about planning for the future until it's the absolute last second, as if they aren't quite sure if Disneyland will need some more parking ten years from now. Duh!

http://micechat.com/65726-parks/ April 19, 2014

Disney bought the Manchester properties in early 2014. Disney bought the Carousel Inn in April, 2015. They've owned outright all the pieces of this puzzle for two years, and they've had the parking structure on Pumbaa planned since 2008.

I have no sympathy for TDA execs if the delay of the parking structure delays Star Wars Land opening, and/or makes the opening of Star Wars Land an expensive and logistical nightmare because the extra 8,000 parking spaces and transit plaza aren't open yet. TDA has absolutely no one to blame but themselves on that one.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

The aesthetics of the bridge is the one thing I agree with the Harbor merchants about. TDA should be forced to come up with a better looking design. As it is now, it looks like a freeway overpass with some abstract Mickey heads stuck to it. This is a typical example of Disney being cheap when it thinks it can get away with being cheap.

For sure the Harbor bridge as designed isn't going to win any aesthetics awards, but 1) the style is aligned with the existing DLR pedestrian bridge over Disneyland Drive, a design that has recieved little to no public criticism, and 2) IMO it's better or as good as any existing infrastructure currently within the boundaries of the Anaheim Resort, which I realize isn't saying much because the bar is about as low as it can be. The design doesn't enhance the area, but it doesn't make it any worse either.

Naturally I support public input, share some of the same concerns as the Harbor businesses, and as a visitor I have some serious reservations about future pedestrian access to and from the Eastern Gateway. However, the bridge aesthetics argument feels like nitpicking and yet another attempt by local businesses to squeeze Disney. If these business owners are going to demand that Disney improve the look of the district with a prettier bridge then Disney ought to demand that McDonald's, The Park Place Inn, and 7Eleven hire a few talented architects to redesign their ugly properties.

TP2000

If these business owners are going to demand that Disney improve the look of the district with a prettier bridge then Disney ought to demand that McDonald's, The Park Place Inn, and 7Eleven hire a few talented architects to redesign their ugly properties.

Valid point. Even after the remodels and new builds of the last five years, nothing about that half mile stretch of Harbor Blvd. screams "Design Winner!".

I think Disney should take the lead here though with their big bridge. Disney has far easier access to funds and talented designers than the owner of the International House of Pancakes.

D

Deleted member 107043

You're right, and I think that's a fair argument, however if I were Disney I'd push back on the City for a comprehensive review of the Anaheim Resort's aesthetic guidelines rather than caving in to some business owners who apparently only have good taste when I'm paying the bill.

Last edited by a moderator:

George Lucas on a Bench

I haven't been following this much and it doesn't seem to matter since nothing has really happened. But I'm not sure there's any way they can do the bridge where it isn't an awkward eyesore. But then you have this enormous concrete parking structure with garish un-Disney decor that looks like something from the 1998 Tomorrowland. It will all serve a purpose, but it will be pretty ugly. But that's Harbor Blvd. anyway.

D

Deleted member 107043

For the uninitiated here's a good visual of how Harbor Blvd appeared looking north from Katella in the 60s.

529632550dfbc44dd986c30132c26f9c.jpg

It remained basically the same until the DLR transformation in 2001.

TP2000

For the uninitiated here's a good visual of how Harbor Blvd appeared looking north from Katella in the 60s.

That's a '66 Dodge in the middle lane, and the newest car in the photo. This photo was taken right around the time in 1965 that Walt referred to Harbor Blvd. as a "cut-rate Las Vegas". Walt was right.

And that Denny's midway down the street is the exact same Denny's that is still there to this day, whose present owner has joined the protest against Disney's bridge and security plan. It's been remodeled and re-signed, but it's the same Denny's.

It kind of makes you wonder how many times the grease traps in the kitchen have been cleaned since '66.

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

To be fair, much of roadside America looked like this in places with no master plans. I'm sure I can still find plenty of areas in central LA that look exactly like this.

I can also understand why merchants may be concerned that Disney might build a pedestrian unfriendly trough.

images.jpeg

Curious Constance

I can see why the businesses on Harbor are upset that the pedestrian entrance is going away, but let's not pretend there is any other reason they are making it difficult for Disney any chance they can get. The only nice parts of the area are the parts that Disney has made look nice. Really Denny's? The bridge isn't nice enough for you? You're a Denny's get over yourself.

George Lucas on a Bench

I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off. Off and on. All day, all night. Soon, where Disneyland once stood will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly-prepared food. Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see! My God, it’ll be beautiful.

180º

I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off. Off and on. All day, all night. Soon, where Disneyland once stood will be a string of gas stations, inexpensive motels, restaurants that serve rapidly-prepared food. Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see! My God, it’ll be beautiful.
No one's going to use your lousy freeway when they can take the monorail for a nickel!

Phroobar

I just thought of something this morning... I haven't seen the owners of Captain Kidd's Buffet at any of the meetings or mentioned.

Heck, that is one good reason for the city to close down the crosswalk on Harbor, public safety against food poisoning.
Is there anyway the city or Disney can shut down Tiff's for the same reason? Worst restaurant ever!

Last edited:

NobodyElse

I'm going to post some more later, but first I wanted to remind folks of my general thoughts on this issue.
While I want to be sympathetic to the (relatively) small business along Harbor, I think we all have to admit that the overwhelming reason for their existence is Disneyland, and the customers Disney attracts. (And I know the Convention Center is a draw, but it was built in the mid 60's, and it's location was no accident.) While there may be a somewhat symbiotic relationship, it's nowhere near a 50/50 situation.

An analogy I think of is that in most of California, you can't buy a view. You can purchase a house or property with a certain view, but if somebody with surrounding property decides to build something that blocks that view (following local laws and zoning) you're out of luck. While those Harbor businesses assumed (correctly) that Disneyland would remain in existence for their foreseeable future, their fairly direct access to Disney's pedestrian customers was never guaranteed. I would hope they would appreciate their decades-long ride.

I don't have any direct quotes right now, but in the past I've seen implications that the bridge project will somehow cut these business off from the public. The only business that are actually being cut off are Carousel Inn and Pizza Press, which Disney bought the right to do. ;)

EDIT* Here's their quote: "This project will choke off neighborhood businesses located on Harbor Boulevard and indeed the entire block."

All of the businesses will still have driveway and walkway access from Harbor and its sidewalks. (Cars may actually have easier ingress with less pedestrians to interact with.)

"Red" should publish an Executive Summary:

• The small shops and eateries on Harbor are unhappy with the plan because the foot traffic they've become accustomed to will likely decrease.
  • The hotels / motels on Harbor are unhappy because they may not appear as attractive to potential customers because the walking distance to Disneyland might increase.
If he did that, I'd give him an internet cookie.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom