Trip Report Completed: Wait, are we just staying at the Polynesian?!

Polynesian February 9th-16th

Another adventure to WDW with the same cast of characters from September’s “How could it be so hot with no sun?!” which I am still cranking out for my fans.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...-sun-another-september-adventure-2016.916978/

Since we shelled out for the Annual Passes in hopes of another trip, Mom, Dad and I found February 9-16th to be a fabulous time. My home swim meets will be over and work is medium busy. We get to sneak down during winter, which hasn’t been horrible yet this year up our way. Erie happens to be in that rust belt snow belt area and we have seen about the average amount of snow fall by now, some mild weather has moved in a few times melting the snow and making life slightly less painful. It is in the high 40s and staying mild all week, but this time next week we could have inches of snow. I will take the spots of mild weather-just hoping it’s all clear to get out of CLE

It also is one of the slower times (if those really exist anymore) to visit WDW. I am looking forward to not having the F&W Booths clogging everything up and perhaps fewer drunks. Don’t get me wrong they are entertaining, but after a while of folks stumbling around you just scratch your head and think well they are going to feel awful tomorrow! I don’t get it at times-if I am spending the money to be down here, I want to remember it lol! We snuck down in January in 2015 and that was fun and totally different than our usual September/October time. Lucked out and didn’t experience any rain and it was warm, just needed a long sleeve or hoodie at night and early morning.

DM was advocating for a longer stay, but realistically with just visiting in September 1 week was feasible. We do not plan on visiting Animal Kingdom, since we will be traveling with my nephews (DM & Big Daddy’s grandsons) in October-we figure we will have our fill of the AK then. I know for some folks it is there absolute favorite park, but for us it isn’t really a draw. KS is great and I love taking photos of course and Big Daddy and I love EE, but aside from enjoying the atmosphere and design, ½ day there will do. Consider I was 17 when the park opened and never fell in love with the place. Now Epcot, MK I could spend days at each and usually do.

LowesChevy

Original Poster
"Wait, are we just staying at the Polynesian?!"

The plans

Our only request will be for a ground floor room. No need to be super picky, the Polynesian is our all time favorite. We have been splitting time between our home BLT and the Beach Club to take advantage of proximity to Epcot and DHS, but the Polynesian being a complete original just brings us back to our fondest memories at WDW.

This was not a long term planned trip like our usual ones. ADRs were made well after the 180 day mark, but I had some great luck. Some of the times aren’t as desirable like 9:00 breakfasts at Kona Café, which I had to call for because they were not loaded in the system and an early dinner at Narcoossee’s, but overall not too shabby. Considering the monorail doesn’t start rolling till 9 AM to Epcot, I am not totally annoyed by the meal time. We are usually up early and perhaps we can score an earlier walk up too. I added Narcoossee’s over Citricos this trip because we were not blown away in September by our meal. The menu wasn’t interesting and a loud banging door (staff were taking chairs out of a storage room near the dessert station constantly) that persisted through the meal-the CM finally realized what we were talking about and apologized. No one wants to be startled by a door more than once during a meal, not sure what the CMs or manager (didn’t notice one come to think of it-maybe they need one) were thinking that it would be acceptable in a dining. Also you are open only for dinner-get your tables set up before dinner service begins. Also added a dinner in Mexico to change it up

LowesChevy

Original Poster
16 days to go!

Wow, time is flying! Big expenses this month-there’s that pesky credit card bill from Christmas time, car insurance, computer anti-virus program, DVC dues, and dues for my American Culinary Federation. Thankfully, I have a part time job with my former and local high school as the score keeper for home swim meets. It is stressful at times, but it is fun to be back at the school with the staff and kiddos. I really love it, not to mention being in the 86 F pool area and wearing shorts! It is just like Florida.

Mom & Big Daddy gave me several gift cards, so I already have some spending money for souvenirs. One of the downsides to room only ressies is that payment is due when you check in, so you have that expense after the trip as well. I have read that some folks call and make payments, but I haven’t heard a lot of feedback about the experiences. Just one of those things you have to calculate in, but I have my larger limit credit card ready to go for check in day. With our AP, DVC and TiW, our meals will be earning that extra discount as well!

Our AP Magic Bands arrived last week and they are the newer style. I declined the reservation ones and ordered the AP ones. I need to print up some Mousekeeping envelopes and cast member appreciation cards this week to finish up my necessary paperwork.

My little cousins stayed over Friday night and then my aunt stayed over Saturday night, so we officially feel that no one else will be sleeping in the spare bedroom before we leave. We can begin laying our clothes and accessories. This trip is shorter than our usual trips, but we will need more warm weather gear like hoodies, jeans and light jackets. I won’t need to bring sandals and maybe just 1 pair of flip flops.

I think everyone is more excited for this trip than our fall visit! I am always excited, but this one feels extra fun. I will check in with y’all soon. I think we need to still rent a car and I will share my day to day plan. See you real soon!

Courtney6682

Sooo exciting! January and February are my favorite time of year to go. We were there this time last year and it was great! A little cold, but we're also from PA so it wasn't a huge deal. We currently have 8 days to go...we will just miss each other as we are checking out on the 9th...boo!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Sooo exciting! January and February are my favorite time of year to go. We were there this time last year and it was great! A little cold, but we're also from PA so it wasn't a huge deal. We currently have 8 days to go...we will just miss each other as we are checking out on the 9th...boo!

We haven't been in February in a long time. Two years ago we visited in January and lucked out with weather as it was mild. If I can wear shorts most days I will be happy! I hope it mellows out for you-have a magical time if I do not hear from, but I doubt that will be the case :)

disneySimple2016

You might know me from, countdown thread! Anyways I have not gone about Two Years As well February 12-17th this time. Last Time was June 2015. I be following Feb 12th to Feb 17th I don't know the place is too big to see any one on theses forums. Good luck to both of us!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
You might know me from, countdown thread! Anyways I have not gone about Two Years As well February 12-17th this time. Last Time was June 2015. I be following Feb 12th to Feb 17th I don't know the place is too big to see any one on theses forums. Good luck to both of us!

Yay, fun fun. Just hoping not a lot of rain and abundant sunshine!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Have fun! I've always wanted to spend my Feb. birthday at Disney. Rates are a bit high because it's marathon week.

thank you-yes we are sneaking down right before the value rates flip to high season. We have the flexibility as adults to avoid the busy times luckily :)

MySmallWorldof4

I have read that some folks call and make payments, but I haven’t heard a lot of feedback about the experiences.
Just so you know,for future reference I generally just book room only and I call Disney and pay over the phone. You use the automated system. I have even used gift cards through the automated system. You just need a quiet room to make the call because their system hears all background noise and it can be frustrating if it hears something else in addition to your voice and then you have to repeat. It is nice to have the trip paid off before we go. Have a great trip!

Big Hair

Have a magical time. We will fly in the 5th and out the 14th. We have 3 days at the Poly, the 8th, 9th, and 10th. I hope to have great weather for the both of us. If you run across 5 people who look like their from Michigan and in need of some sunshine say hello. lol

bee

Just so you know,for future reference I generally just book room only and I call Disney and pay over the phone. You use the automated system. I have even used gift cards through the automated system. You just need a quiet room to make the call because their system hears all background noise and it can be frustrating if it hears something else in addition to your voice and then you have to repeat. It is nice to have the trip paid off before we go. Have a great trip!
Same here! I always do room-only and I don't like the feeling of traveling before it's paid off so I call a few days before arrival to pay. Sometimes the system is a pain (you definitely need to be in a quiet room like @MySmallWorldof4 said!) and sometimes it transfers me to a human after I've started the payment but personally I feel better knowing it's done.

Woohoo for AP trips!!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Nine days to go! Single digit dancing in full swing.

I printed off my packing list for the trip with some minor adjustments. I won’t need any tank tops, but a pair of jeans, Adidas zip ups and a pair of pj pants will come in handy sitting on the porch at night. It is normally so stinking hot in September I do not want to wear many of my dark colored printed shirts, but I will be able to wear them this time. Ordered new sneakers for the occasion, I tend to get a pair every few months because I wear them all of the time. Luckily with my job I do not have to wear high heals or dress shoes. My feeling is that whatever is comfortable as long as it is appropriate and safe should be the motto and we certainly have flexibility in the office at our business.

I still need to sort and charge my camera stuff this weekend. I haven’t even planned any shots, but with this more laid back trip I think I will have more time to do some shooting without being in a rush. I received a Grizzly camera stabilizer for Christmas so I will bring that along.

I couldn’t be happier to get out of northwestern PA right now either! Holy cow we are getting lots of snow, but we had a rather mild mid January! I posted a video on Instagram and several people were astonished by the snow and what I considered “a little” snow. We are blessed by “Lake Effect” snow around these parts. At least there hasn’t been a significant event, but slow and steady snow for five days straight gets to you. Just praying for no delays come next Thursday morning!!

So excited yet still a busy week ahead! Last night, Thursday and next Monday we have swim meets. I love being in the 80 degree temps and that money is awesome too. My soccer game Friday is at least at a decent time 9:20 PM, last week it was at 10:20 PM! My prime time is around 7-9 at night lol! Friday and Saturday are the nights I go to bed the earliest I feel like. In Disney we be in bed by like 8:30 PM looking at each other, so is it an acceptable time to go to bed er what? Any other night I am up watching Golden Girls till 11:30! I think my brain messes with me and doesn’t want me to get 8-9 hours of sleep. Saturday I am getting my toes prettied.

I plan to work only a half day Wednesday since I have two appointments back to back. Massage therapy and hair trim-very important stops. I have to have my knees worked on every couple of weeks. Everything is getting a tune up before we leave!

Tonight I need to work on some signs for a new business venture my dad and I are launching. He bought me a Cricut for Christmas and it is so much fun! We designed a line of coastal style signs and now I need to work on our outdoors focused styles. Quite busy, but not lacking excitement around here! Talk to you all real soon :rolleyes:

LowesChevy

Original Poster
3 DAYS!!!

Crazy, I know! I accomplished much this weekend despite being under the weather. Tuesday I was feeling achy and tired, but just figured it was from being up later the previous night. Wednesday I came home at lunch and napped for an hour! Luckily I had already made an appointment with my doc about a medication, so I was getting antibiotics and fixed up by Thursday night. Usually after our fall trip I tend to get an ear infection or sinus issue, but no problems this year. I think I was really run down and slacked off on my vitamin intake. Gets you every time!

Finally feeling better here Monday morning thankfully I didn’t catch a bad flu, which I rarely experience. Totally back to being excited! I completed online check in-my only request being ground floor room, so we can enjoy the total atmosphere. I like the Aotearoa building, but on the side facing the lagoon there is a lot of foot traffic for the luau. The other side of the building is fun to see the monorail whiz by, but there is a service area and luggage storage close by and there is a lot of racket during the day. I didn’t want to make too many requests because most of all I want a ground floor room. We can always ask to change if we dislike the location I suppose.

I made Mousekeeping envelopes and printed out cast member appreciation cards on photo paper. I just need to cut them out tonight. I know everything is on the MDE app, but I like to have paper back ups in case something is misplaced or lost so I keep a copy of my itinerary and ressies in my carry on. My camera batteries are charged and ready to go, but I am not taking a lot of equipment. I feel like when I do I rarely use it.

Still deciding what to wear down, but ladies isn’t this a daily problem?! :arghh: The weather looks ripe for the week with Friday being the coolest day, but I realize it can always change. We will have a pair of jeans from Wednesday night since it is in the 20s right now! Tomorrow the forecast is for rain and 55 F as a high here, but back down to the 30s and 20s Wednesday and Thursday. I do want to wear shorts down because I always get hot and I can tough it out. Other than that the clothes are picked out and ready for packing. I just need to finish up my toiletries and bathroom goodies. The carry on is finished last though. I think I only want my Vera big duffle and a purse to carry on with me.

Our last home swim meet is tonight, so I won’t be home till after 9:00 PM. It has been a fun season and I am going to miss our seniors!

I will catch up with everyone soon!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
It is down to 2! In actuality we leave tomorrow afternoon for Cleveland though. Tonight we will pack up the suitcases and get carry on bags situated. I need to cut the CM cards apart and decide which camera equipment I am bringing still.

Yesterday was a long, but fun day. The swimmers demolished the mini cupcakes I made them! I am going to miss those guys and gals.

Don't forget to find me on the Instagram @ Theerikagrimm & my Twitter handle @ Cheferikag. You can enjoy the ride along ;)

I will check in along the way too! See you all real soon :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom