TDR Trip Dec 10/11 2016 - Need advice

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hello All
I have the opportunity while on a business trip to visit Tokyo Disneyland resort.
For background I have visited before ( one long Saturday in Sept 2006) so I know that going on Saturday is ridiculous but I really have no choice in the matter.

Change for this time is that TDR is the only purpose of the Tokyo visit (unlike last time) so I am planning for all day Saturday and then Sunday till mid afternoon before heading back to Nagoya.

So I am looking for advice on how to tackle it, what is new in the last 10 years (a lot) and any other tips/warnings I should know about.

Looking forward to some good input from the members of this board

Thanks
Max

GiveMeTheMusic

Hello All
I have the opportunity while on a business trip to visit Tokyo Disneyland resort.
For background I have visited before ( one long Saturday in Sept 2006) so I know that going on Saturday is ridiculous but I really have no choice in the matter.

Change for this time is that TDR is the only purpose of the Tokyo visit (unlike last time) so I am planning for all day Saturday and then Sunday till mid afternoon before heading back to Nagoya.

So I am looking for advice on how to tackle it, what is new in the last 10 years (a lot) and any other tips/warnings I should know about.

Looking forward to some good input from the members of this board

Thanks
Max

Hi Max!

You'll want to arrive at the turnstiles no later than 90 minutes prior to park opening to ensure you're among the first into TDL. The most popular rides are Monsters Inc Ride and Go Seek and Pooh's Hunny Hunt. First stop should be to obtain a Fastpass for Monsters Inc unless the standby line is 15 minutes or less when you arrive at it. Once you have your Fastpass, head to Pooh's Hunny Hunt to ride standby. Single rider is handy at Splash Mountain, and after your Monsters Fastpass is over grab one for Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare. Then it's just matter of trying to get on whatever else you can and/or want to throughout the course of the day. A new Camp Woodchuck restaurant is opening in November on the river and I expect it will be overly popular when you visit.

If you head to TDS at opening on one of your days, the most popular attraction will be Toy Story Midway Mania. Skip it if you've been on it in the States, it's the same and will save you a lot of time. Instead, go straight to Tower of Terror or Journey the Center of the Earth for a Fastpass, and then ride the other standby. You can then work your way through other great attractions as you're able, single rider where you can. Sindbad has been overhauled since your last visit and definitely worth riding. The Mermaid Lagoon Theater show (offers Fastpass) has been changed out, and Fantasmic is new since your last visit as well. Both are worth seeing if time permits. The new hangar show, Out of Shadowland, is alright but performed entirely in Japanese. Big Band Beat is a better use of your time if you want to see a stage show.

Hope that helps!

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi Max!

You'll want to arrive at the turnstiles no later than 90 minutes prior to park opening to ensure you're among the first into TDL. The most popular rides are Monsters Inc Ride and Go Seek and Pooh's Hunny Hunt. First stop should be to obtain a Fastpass for Monsters Inc unless the standby line is 15 minutes or less when you arrive at it. Once you have your Fastpass, head to Pooh's Hunny Hunt to ride standby. Single rider is handy at Splash Mountain, and after your Monsters Fastpass is over grab one for Haunted Mansion Holiday Nightmare. Then it's just matter of trying to get on whatever else you can and/or want to throughout the course of the day. A new Camp Woodchuck restaurant is opening in November on the river and I expect it will be overly popular when you visit.

If you head to TDS at opening on one of your days, the most popular attraction will be Toy Story Midway Mania. Skip it if you've been on it in the States, it's the same and will save you a lot of time. Instead, go straight to Tower of Terror or Journey the Center of the Earth for a Fastpass, and then ride the other standby. You can then work your way through other great attractions as you're able, single rider where you can. Sindbad has been overhauled since your last visit and definitely worth riding. The Mermaid Lagoon Theater show (offers Fastpass) has been changed out, and Fantasmic is new since your last visit as well. Both are worth seeing if time permits. The new hangar show, Out of Shadowland, is alright but performed entirely in Japanese. Big Band Beat is a better use of your time if you want to see a stage show.

Hope that helps!
WOW!!
This more than just helps.
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain in such detail.

If I could bother you for one more question though...

I will only have 1 evening (Saturday) and must decide between the 2 parks

In 2006 I did TDS in the morning/afternoon and then twilight pass for TDL after about 4pm
So I saw the TDL Halloween parade that year.

So would you suggest Fantasmic at TDS or maybe a Christmas parade(?)/fireworks at TDL for Dec 10/2016?

Thanks
Max

GiveMeTheMusic

WOW!!
This more than just helps.
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain in such detail.

If I could bother you for one more question though...

I will only have 1 evening (Saturday) and must decide between the 2 parks

In 2006 I did TDS in the morning/afternoon and then twilight pass for TDL after about 4pm
So I saw the TDL Halloween parade that year.

So would you suggest Fantasmic at TDS or maybe a Christmas parade(?)/fireworks at TDL for Dec 10/2016?

Thanks
Max

Fantasmic is great, but polarizing. Have you seen Fantasmic at DL or WDW? It's different, as it's presented almost in the round and there's no fixed stage. Staking out a spot can be difficult. You may want to look up a YouTube video to get an idea.

Have you seen Dreamlights at TDL? It's breathtaking of course and has been refreshed a few times since 2006. The Once Upon A Time castle projection pyro show is nice, but not worth camping out for. If you can walk up to a spot in the hub to watch it, that's fine. Dreamlights of course takes a time investment of camping out on a curb.

So it really comes down to whether you want to see Fantasmic or Dreamlights. :)

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Fantasmic is great, but polarizing. Have you seen Fantasmic at DL or WDW? It's different, as it's presented almost in the round and there's no fixed stage. Staking out a spot can be difficult. You may want to look up a YouTube video to get an idea.

Have you seen Dreamlights at TDL? It's breathtaking of course and has been refreshed a few times since 2006. The Once Upon A Time castle projection pyro show is nice, but not worth camping out for. If you can walk up to a spot in the hub to watch it, that's fine. Dreamlights of course takes a time investment of camping out on a curb.

So it really comes down to whether you want to see Fantasmic or Dreamlights. :)

Thank you again for the advice
I will have to give it some thought.

And if anyone else out there has an opinion I would more than welcome it!!
Thanks
Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hello to Everyone on the Disney Asia board

Just to let you know that I visited in Dec and had a great/interesting visit.
I am doing a trip report in the WDW Trip Report section because I am combining my solo visit to TDR with a family trip to WDW for Dec 23-30.
You are more than welcome to follow along!

Special thanks to GiveMeTheMusic for the great tips listed above.

Thanks
Max

GiveMeTheMusic

Hello to Everyone on the Disney Asia board

Just to let you know that I visited in Dec and had a great/interesting visit.
I am doing a trip report in the WDW Trip Report section because I am combining my solo visit to TDR with a family trip to WDW for Dec 23-30.
You are more than welcome to follow along!

Special thanks to GiveMeTheMusic for the great tips listed above.

Thanks
Max

Glad you had a great time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom