MAGICal DLP News, Rumours & Thoughts

croboy82

Thank you. That's too bad......the last time I was at DPL it was closed too...so I've never experienced it (I did in Anaheim though).

Donald Dutch

In other news, the Euro Disney Annual Results were presented today. Revenues decreased with 7% to €1,278 billion. Costs and expenses increased with 5% resulting in a net loss of €858 million. To provide Euro Disney S.C.A. additional liquidity, The Walt Disney Company will waive 2 years of royalty and management fees.

Last edited:

felipenor

In other news, the Euro Disney Annual Results were presented today. Revenues decreased with 7% to €1,278 billion. Costs and expenses increased with 5% resulting in a net loss of €858 million. To provide Euro Disney S.C.A. additional liquidity, The Walt Disney Company will waive 2 years of royalty and management fees.
I don't get it. Isn't DLP the most visited tourist attraction in Europe? How are they losing money? How many more visitors would they need to be making a profit?

JDL30

I don't get it. Isn't DLP the most visited tourist attraction in Europe? How are they losing money? How many more visitors would they need to be making a profit?

The resort still has a large amount of debt accrued from it's early years of operation, costly build and capital depreciation. It also pays licensing fees to the Walt Disney Company, which even though they have waivered recently still adds up. This plus the recent capital investment on resort refurbishments means outgoings are larger than its income

cjkeating

DLP has been since the very beginning a very complex financial mess which I am sure someone has a greater understanding of that myself.

In simplest terms the resort has been saddled with debt from the start from construction, never met it's projected targets (based on Tokyo where they LOVE Disney) and therefore often struggled to meet interest payments never mind repay the debt.

The resort then got stuck in a cycle of not having enough money to keep going yet had to borrow more to invest to attract new guests. This meant that the park never built enough new attractions and failed to maintain the resort.

After the nth restructuring the park now appears on its safest financial footing as it is majority owned by TWDC who has put a lot of effort to address 25ish years of neglect to get the park as closed to 'new' for the 25th anniversary. Hopefully this will allow investment to drive attendance going into the 30th.

As you ask it isn't just attendance that the park needs it needs guests to spend more, either on less discounted hotel rooms or more in park spending which sounds a lot easier than it is. Just imagine if every guest spent an extra 10 Euro that would be an additional 130,000,000 Euro in revenue...

GiveMeTheMusic

DLP has been since the very beginning a very complex financial mess which I am sure someone has a greater understanding of that myself.

In simplest terms the resort has been saddled with debt from the start from construction, never met it's projected targets (based on Tokyo where they LOVE Disney) and therefore often struggled to meet interest payments never mind repay the debt.

The resort then got stuck in a cycle of not having enough money to keep going yet had to borrow more to invest to attract new guests. This meant that the park never built enough new attractions and failed to maintain the resort.

After the nth restructuring the park now appears on its safest financial footing as it is majority owned by TWDC who has put a lot of effort to address 25ish years of neglect to get the park as closed to 'new' for the 25th anniversary. Hopefully this will allow investment to drive attendance going into the 30th.

As you ask it isn't just attendance that the park needs it needs guests to spend more, either on less discounted hotel rooms or more in park spending which sounds a lot easier than it is. Just imagine if every guest spent an extra 10 Euro that would be an additional 130,000,000 Euro in revenue...

I'm not an expert on the subject, but if they're hurting for hotel reservations they could start by discounting. The hotel prices, especially for the higher tier properties, are exorbitant.

cjkeating

I'm not an expert on the subject, but if they're hurting for hotel reservations they could start by discounting. The hotel prices, especially for the higher tier properties, are exorbitant.

For the UK market (and I am sure similarly across Europe) they have constant free nights and free dining offers for the hotels. Whether or not the prices should just be lower is a separate issue that isn't just a DLP issue.

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Now we know why they stopped doing Jedi Training for the next two months, there's a new show instead with a live band and Santa Goofy called Jingle Bell Band. This continues Videopolis' tradition of producing high-quality shows that have nothing to do with the land's theme. ;)

Cw_5O9CXcAAOD84.jpg

Photo from InsideDlParis

Donald Dutch

I think, sadly, we got used to Disneyland Paris being a terror attack target. Unfortunately this negative news is spreading worldwide...

cjkeating

I think, sadly, we got used to Disneyland Paris being a terror attack target. Unfortunately this negative news is spreading worldwide...

DLP security (at least from appearances) is way above any other public place I have visited. I don't know of any sports, arenas or museums that put you through airport security which should make the place a far less easy target than most.

No Name

As always, I'm glad that terror attacks were stopped. Against any people at any place.

DLP security (at least from appearances) is way above any other public place I have visited. I don't know of any sports, arenas or museums that put you through airport security which should make the place a far less easy target than most.

Does everyone go through metal detectors, or do they randomly pick and choose?

Donald Dutch

Today was the soft opening for Season of the Force at the Walt Disney Studios. During the day, guests can enjoy the 'First Order March' with Captain Phasma followed by the stage show 'Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away', featuring many Star Wars Characters:
C1-QXhSXcAMfKf-.jpg

C1-Qaw8XUAEG_1k.jpg

C1-VSrLXcAACP5f.jpg

At park closing time, guests can enjoy the nighttime spectacular 'Star Wars: A Galactic Celebration':
C1_XJVaWIAErIV6.jpg

C1_XKGTW8AAXaPb.jpg

C1_XKtbWgAAxnZf.jpg

Photos by @InsideDLParis

Daveeeeed

Today was the soft opening for Season of the Force at the Walt Disney Studios. During the day, guests can enjoy the 'First Order March' with Captain Phasma followed by the stage show 'Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away', featuring many Star Wars Characters:
C1-QXhSXcAMfKf-.jpg

C1-Qaw8XUAEG_1k.jpg

C1-VSrLXcAACP5f.jpg

At park closing time, guests can enjoy the nighttime spectacular 'Star Wars: A Galactic Celebration':
C1_XJVaWIAErIV6.jpg

C1_XKGTW8AAXaPb.jpg

C1_XKtbWgAAxnZf.jpg

Photos by @InsideDLParis
Hopefully it will be enough of a success to justify a DCA level Park redo. It needs it more than any Disney park on Earth even with Ratatouille

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom