Talking Tomorrowland

Should Tomorrowland go through a huge makeover?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MANEATINGWREATH

It really depends which Tomorrowland is in question because, as of late, the only Tomorrowland to stay relevant is Discoveryland in DLP. MK would still be relevant were it not for the loss of Timekeeper and Alien Encounter. Disneyland's Tomorrowland would also be relevant were it not for the financial calamity of DLP. Tomorrowland 2055 would have been the best makeover of any land in Disney Park history. Said plan called for:

- An upper-level being added to Tomorrowland, meaning the buildings for Star Tours and Circle-Vision (now Buzz) would have a second-story with different exhibits and shops.

- Glowing crystals and alien relics at the land's entrance, right where the Astro Orbitor unfortunately sits now.

- Star Tours would remain as the intergalactic terminal for travel to Tomorrowland, still retaining the Star Wars theme. Circle-Vision would give way to Timekeeper and 9-Eyes, while it could be assumed that the PeopleMover and Rocket Jets would remain, albeit revised in appearance to match the land's retro-futuristic appearance. Space Mountain would also remain.

- The then-empty Carousel Theater would be redesigned to resemble a giant alien saucer, something from the reels of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. On the bottom floor, Plectu's Fantastic Intergalactic Revue would showcase an audio-animatronic collection of musical talents from all around the galaxy. Battle Droids on the top floor would be another animatronic show featuring destructive robots in the midst of battle.

- ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter would make its debut in place of Mission to Mars, right next door to Plectu's. Clearly, this debut happened in Florida rather than California. As assumption goes, AE would probably still be around today were it to premiere in the more PG-13 Disneyland, rather than the G-rated MK.

- It is unknown what would happen to Autopia and the Submarine Voyage. I would assume that they would either remain or be heavily updated to reflect upon the land's new theme.

- Lightkeepers, a replacement parade for the then-popular Electrical Parade would feature a UFO crash-landing behind It's a Small World. The parade gates would then open and showcase a menagerie of ethereal sentient beings, the same species that left behind the alien relics so many centuries before.

- An orchestral score for the entirety of the land. This music can still be heard in the exterior queue of Space Mountain and in the bathrooms at Space Mt's exit. Or right here:

DisneyForever

Original Poster
I have a Tomorrowland 2075 plan:

• Keep Space Mountain but re-paint it to a flying saucer.

• Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor would be moved to Hollywood Studios and replace the building with a sort of Horizons ride but from the 2000s.

• Astro Orbiter would be taken down to make a 360 theater.

• The Carousel of Progress would stay but be updated.

• Tomorrowland Speedway would become more of a flying car speedway.

• WEDway Peoplemover would be a robotically tour of Tomorrowland.

• Tomorrowland would be renamed Tomorrowland 2075.

These are just my ideas I have thought about.

DisneyForever

Original Poster
How about Tomorrowland 2100:
  • Since Stitch will be Wreck-It Ralph VR, 2100 will turn this into a VR skyway ride called SKY ROUTE 66.
  • Laugh Floor and Buzz Lightyear will turn into a Horizons-style ride called Horizons: To the Future.
  • Space Mountain will be triple tracked with Alpha, Omega, and Almede.
  • Astro Orbitor will stay as is, but will be a bit faster.
  • The Carousel of Progress will stay, updated to revolve around the 1920s, 40s, 80s, and 2050.
  • The Speedway will be totally redone to be a tour of Mr. Tom Morrow's office and home, futuristic.
  • WEDway Peoplemover will be re-painted and re-narrated. Morgan Freeman maybe?
  • Tomorrowland will become Tomorrowland 2100.

Voxel

President of Progress City
How about Tomorrowland 2100:
  • Since Stitch will be Wreck-It Ralph VR, 2100 will turn this into a VR skyway ride called SKY ROUTE 66.
  • Laugh Floor and Buzz Lightyear will turn into a Horizons-style ride called Horizons: To the Future.
  • Space Mountain will be triple tracked with Alpha, Omega, and Almede.
  • Astro Orbitor will stay as is, but will be a bit faster.
  • The Carousel of Progress will stay, updated to revolve around the 1920s, 40s, 80s, and 2050.
  • The Speedway will be totally redone to be a tour of Mr. Tom Morrow's office and home, futuristic.
  • WEDway Peoplemover will be re-painted and re-narrated. Morgan Freeman maybe?
  • Tomorrowland will become Tomorrowland 2100.
As much as I love the idea of a Horizons-style ride, there is NOOO where near enough room in the Laugh Floor and Buzz building :(

Prog

Is there any way of doing TL as it was before becoming the "tomorrow that never was"? I would like to think so, but what ideas could be put in now that optimistic futurism has disappeared from pop culture in favor of dystopianism? I can't think of any modern, creative equivalent to Flash Gordon or the Jetsons. Flying cars that are well-done are probably unfeasibly dangerous, and my expectation of a ride themed to flying cars would be probably something like a micro-skyway or Peter Pan with the addition of a Mr. Toad-style dummy steering wheel. Pretty much any other classically futurist idea that I can think of would look pretty antiquated today.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is there any way of doing TL as it was before becoming the "tomorrow that never was"? I would like to think so, but what ideas could be put in now that optimistic futurism has disappeared from pop culture in favor of dystopianism? I can't think of any modern, creative equivalent to Flash Gordon or the Jetsons. Flying cars that are well-done are probably unfeasibly dangerous, and my expectation of a ride themed to flying cars would be probably something like a micro-skyway or Peter Pan with the addition of a Mr. Toad-style dummy steering wheel. Pretty much any other classically futurist idea that I can think of would look pretty antiquated today.
Ironically the 1971 version now seems to appear more futuristic as seen in today's pop culture than the 1994 version.

Let's see what happens.

DisneyForever

Original Poster
Here we go again with Buzz Lightyear. With all the Mars talk here, how about a dark ride called To Mars and Back. I have a plan sort of so here it is:
  • The queue will be a history of landings and the Buzz Lightyear AA will be a spinning planet.
  • The boarding station will be based around the ISS. The safety talk will say: "For your safety, please keep your hands, arms, feet and legs inside the ship. For the comfort of other astronauts, please no flash photography. Thank you."
  • The first rooms before the star tunnel will be about the travel to Mars and will include AA's.
  • After the star tunnel, you will explore Mars with AA's before being blasted back to the exit and through the new gift shop, Mickey's Mars Munchies and Gifts.
It may not be the best idea and if there is a problem, feel free to comment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom