Disney's Moana

Princess Leia

IF it were any other year it would be a shoe in for best original song....then la la land happened :/ lol
I still need to see La La Land, waiting for it to come to the regional theaters (apparently my wait finally ends this weekend).
'City of Stars' is the sole song from the film to be nominated for the best original song category at the Golden Globes. I'm listening to the rest of the soundtrack, but if it's the duet version that was nominated, it's not the choice I would have gone with. However, I feel like that must be the version, because the Ryan Gosling solo is pretty short.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

I saw La La Land and wanted to love it. I just found it really annoying, as musicals go I don't think it was very good. I think "How Far I'll Go" is much better the "City of Stars".
I agree. I think LMM's EGOT (and Golden Globe) hopes are still safe, but La La Land will probably win the GG award for Best Picture, Comedy or Musical (somehow I don't see the Hollywood Foreign Press giving the award to Deadpool, even though it did somehow get itself nominated).

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
I agree. I think LMM's EGOT hopes are still safe, but La La Land will probably win the award for Best Picture, Comedy or Musical (somehow I don't see the Hollywood Foreign Press giving the award to Deadpool, even though it did somehow get itself nominated).
It depends on which famous people the voting members want to hang out with the most.

CaptainAmerica

I saw La La Land and wanted to love it. I just found it really annoying, as musicals go I don't think it was very good. I think "How Far I'll Go" is much better the "City of Stars".
It breaks my heart that the awful, overproduced Alessia Cara version of "How Far I'll Go" has more hits on YouTube than Auli'i Cravalho's.

Neither is as good as "We Know the Way" IMO.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Worldwide, Moana is number 17 for 2016... so far, if you allow for intake from 2017, it will still climb the list.

It has taken in $220.5 Million in the US and $189.1 Million overseas, so it has broken the $400M mark. Domestically, it's #12. It's lagging behind in the overseas market due to that it still hasn't been released in several markets.

It's still raking in a few million dollars a day at the domestic box office.

Most importantly, it's global total has finally surpassed the Angry Birds movie, so, there is a God after all! Although, it's sad it may never surpass The Secret Life of Pets movie.

WhatJaneSays

The worldwide box office tends to count a movie's entire run toward it's yearly standing, regardless of what year the money was earned in.

Moana is at #15 with $450.1 Million at the moment, but there's a fairly wide jump to the next rung this late in the run. It can still make it to the #14-12 range with a releases as late as March, it's just a long run of it and the few markets it still had to go aren't expected to have any higher than typical results.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It can still make it to the #14-12 range with a releases as late as March, it's just a long run of it and the few markets it still had to go aren't expected to have any higher than typical results.

It does have the benefit of not being knocked out of theaters for a good while with the lack of newer family movies in the schedule. It was still going strong on the return of 'school nights' this week.

Disneyfanman

I really don't understand why Moana didn't do better (I know we have more time overseas). I loved the film, and have recommended it to everyone that I know. The people I know who have seen it have enjoyed it, although I admit that they weren't as enthusiastic about it as they were with Frozen a couple of years ago. What is interesting to me is that many people that I know have chosen NOT to see it at all in theaters. They were more interested in Sing. I don't know why that is. Was it the marketing (which I thought was pretty effective), or the subject matter? Moana will probably end with between 500 and 600 million WW, It's certainly a hit. Just not a smash.

As for La La Land, my wife and I saw it last weekend. I really enjoyed the production numbers and music, but the story really didn't hold my attention. Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling were wonderful, but I thought the movie had been oversold to me. My wife thought it was flat out boring, except for the musical numbers. She fell asleep. Similar to Randomprinces, I wanted to love the movie, but ended up thinking it was just OK.

Matt_Black

To be fair, that was when Hollywood was still young, or at least middle-aged. The Artist, by contrast, represents nearly a century of Hollywood being up it's own a-... er... sitting muscle.

Sped2424

Original Poster
And La La Land got the GG for best song
I am telling you now the oscar for best original song isn't going to moana. Lala land has that one for sure :/ Moana didn't impress the same way Zootopia or say Frozen did sadly. NOT saying it's not doing well, just it's not reaching the level of success it needs in order for it to snag that oscar.

Sped2424

Original Poster
There's nothing Hollywood loves more than films that romanticize Hollywood and the entertainment industry.
This this this a thousand times this ^ You have a film glamorizing hollywood/california in some way? Boom oscar contender. You got a war movie about WW2 or veterans or the holocaust? BOOM oscar contender lol The academy have become VERY predictable in what is oscar bait and what isn't :/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom