WDWMAGIC Takes the Cake - The Official Cake Talk

CarlaM

IMG_4336.JPG
This is the cake that I ordered for my parents anniversary for our dinner at BOG. It was $90 which is what I was quoted. The cake was vanilla with white chocolate mousse. My parents loved the cake. It came out the exact way that I explained it.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
View attachment 170709 This is the cake that I ordered from Anna Cakes. It was vanilla cake with lemon filling. Everyone enjoyed the cake and it looked amazing. Anna was very helpful and nice. She also had the cake delivered to Whipering Canyon Cafe for me. It was $275.53 after tax.

Glad this one worked out. I think they did a really nice job and it's nice to see success stories with outside bakeries.

mambo

Wow, this thread is awesome! I went through the entire thing.

My sister is taking me to Disney in January for my 23rd birthday. We're dining at Citricos the night of (and we snagged CRT for lunch, but we want to do the cake at Citricos) and want to get a two-tier mini-cake (mostly because it's just the two of us... otherwise I'd want to get a TOTALLY tricked-out cake... I've been drooling over everyone else's in this thread's!). I'd like to do a cake based on the recent live-action Cinderella and her dress. So, blue with a few butterflies, a glass slipper on top, and "have courage and be kind" written on the plate.

My one question is whether anyone has had any luck getting, for lack of a better term, sparkly frosting/fondant. I've seen a few cakes with sparkly decoration, but none that are just straight-up bedazzled. If anyone has any comments about the sparkle factor, please let me know!

Thank you!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Wow, this thread is awesome! I went through the entire thing.

My sister is taking me to Disney in January for my 23rd birthday. We're dining at Citricos the night of (and we snagged CRT for lunch, but we want to do the cake at Citricos) and want to get a two-tier mini-cake (mostly because it's just the two of us... otherwise I'd want to get a TOTALLY tricked-out cake... I've been drooling over everyone else's in this thread's!). I'd like to do a cake based on the recent live-action Cinderella and her dress. So, blue with a few butterflies, a glass slipper on top, and "have courage and be kind" written on the plate.

My one question is whether anyone has had any luck getting, for lack of a better term, sparkly frosting/fondant. I've seen a few cakes with sparkly decoration, but none that are just straight-up bedazzled. If anyone has any comments about the sparkle factor, please let me know!

Thank you!

Good call b/c nobody knows what the cake situation is going to be like in MK after Dec 15th, but you will definitely be able to get a cake at Citrico's from the GF bakery.

I have seen a few cakes where they've covered the cake entirely in luster dust and cake glitter. You'll just need to be very clear about this when ordering. I can tell you from personal experience that it doesn't photograph as easily, but it'll look great in person. I'd just tell them that you want the cake covered in fondant and you want the fondant covered entirely in luster dust and maybe even some cake glitter to amp up the sparkle. They may ask what color luster dust and I guess that depends on you, but I'd probably go for a corresponding blue luster.

Rutt

Man I missed this thread. Such awesome cakes.....
Not sure where we will do 2018 now with the bad news out of MK. Wife really wanted BoG or CRT for our daughters 3rd bday (and first trip)

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Man I missed this thread. Such awesome cakes.....
Not sure where we will do 2018 now with the bad news out of MK. Wife really wanted BoG or CRT for our daughters 3rd bday (and first trip)

They made it sound like they'll have some new alternatives, but I don't see how it's going to equal or top being able to get a custom cake. We shall see. The last day for custom cakes in MK is next week, so hopefully they'll release more information soon. I know it's not the same, but Akershus would still be an option with the Epcot bakery.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
I've been meaning to log in to share pics of my younger daughter's bday cake since it's Disney-ish, but things have been kind of crazy...like more crazy than the normal crazy. In a nutshell, said birthday child decided to climb a 10' bullpen after softball practice, a couple of days before her bday party, fell from the top and broke her wrist. I'm still kind of shocked that I finished the cake.

It's a Star Wars themed cake, but she insisted on a Wookiee the Chew (Pooh/Chewbacca blend by James Hance) edible topper...that I also had to make. The death star is a big rice krispie treat. Not as clean as I'd like it, but not bad for a mom dealing with a kid with a broken bone, family coming into town to stay with us, and a big party.

30862159931_5b275d6b62_z.jpg

30914195926_bcbe520d5f_z.jpg

25314455249_4d80064a60_z.jpg

25314455469_855e0ae1e4_z.jpg

25314455039_6af8d9a849_z.jpg

alissafalco

Good call b/c nobody knows what the cake situation is going to be like in MK after Dec 15th, but you will definitely be able to get a cake at Citrico's from the GF bakery.

I have seen a few cakes where they've covered the cake entirely in luster dust and cake glitter. You'll just need to be very clear about this when ordering. I can tell you from personal experience that it doesn't photograph as easily, but it'll look great in person. I'd just tell them that you want the cake covered in fondant and you want the fondant covered entirely in luster dust and maybe even some cake glitter to amp up the sparkle. They may ask what color luster dust and I guess that depends on you, but I'd probably go for a corresponding blue luster.
Someone just posted this on facebook about the cake situation in MK
IMG_4350.PNG

Courtney6682

Sorry if this dumb...I tried reading as many of the pages in this thread as I could lol So after Dec of 2016 no more custom cakes in the MK? But it's still possible to get a cake of some sort at restaurants there? Where do I go for that? TIA!

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Sorry if this dumb...I tried reading as many of the pages in this thread as I could lol So after Dec of 2016 no more custom cakes in the MK? But it's still possible to get a cake of some sort at restaurants there? Where do I go for that? TIA!

Correct, as of right now, no custom cakes are being delivered to restaurants in MK. There is a general cake hotline for WDW that covers all of the bakeries/resorts/parks that permit cakes. Their number is 407-827-2253. However, there are numbers that can be called that are specific to resorts and bakeries. For example, if I'm staying at the GF or Poly or would like a cake delivered to a restaurant at one of these resorts, I will call the GF's bakery at 407-824-1951. That's just one example...it all depends on where you want to get a cake. If you can tell me where you want it delivered (specific resort/restaurant), I can reply with the contact info and the basics of what the servicing bakery offers.

Courtney6682

Correct, as of right now, no custom cakes are being delivered to restaurants in MK. There is a general cake hotline for WDW that covers all of the bakeries/resorts/parks that permit cakes. Their number is 407-827-2253. However, there are numbers that can be called that are specific to resorts and bakeries. For example, if I'm staying at the GF or Poly or would like a cake delivered to a restaurant at one of these resorts, I will call the GF's bakery at 407-824-1951. That's just one example...it all depends on where you want to get a cake. If you can tell me where you want it delivered (specific resort/restaurant), I can reply with the contact info and the basics of what the servicing bakery offers.

Thanks so much for the info. I'm looking to get a cake for my daughter's 17th bday on Feb 3rd. We have 5:45pm ADR's at LTT

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the info. I'm looking to get a cake for my daughter's 17th bday on Feb 3rd. We have 5:45pm ADR's at LTT

Unless they implement some changes to their offerings, it sounds like your only option will be the podium cakes they offer at the various restaurants. Obviously, it's not the fun of a custom cake, but it is cake. There's also the option of doing a secondary cake that could be delivered to your resort or a non-MK restaurant meal.

HouCuseChickie

Original Poster
So, I'm still doing some more research on what's going on with things in MK, but I wanted to share because I guess a number of the bakeries are now doing cupcakes. I know the ones in the pictures below are Frozen and Tangled themed, and were something like $8.50 each.

cupcake 1.JPG
cupcake 2.JPG

Pretty cute! I know some may think it's steep for a cupcake, but it's Disney pricing and it's still cheaper than any of the mini cakes.

Beyond that, saw a few other cute cakes on the other forum that I wanted to share. The one with the shoe is particularly interesting as it's the Contemporary bakery and I don't know if I've ever seen them do a more unique shape before ($160). The Cheshire cat one made by the GF bakery is also surprising. I figured they'd want more with the cute tea cup and saucer, but it was $130.

Oh well, enjoy the pics and I'll try and post more on MK as soon as I get some more info ... and time! Busy busy!

cheshire cake.JPG
elegant stitch.JPG
mickey quilt cake.jpg
mini tink elegant.JPG
shoe cake.jpg
snow white mini new.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom