Disney Parks Blog: 17 Reasons to Visit WDW in 2017

EPCOTCenterLover

We are considering a trip in the Fall of this year. Considering- because we haven't been since 2009. But it will be the first trip where we spend two days at Universal and probably stay at one of their resorts. Used to be we'd go every 3 years or so when the parks constantly had new attractions added. So, we don't go as often as we used to. This trip could be one that lasts until 2022-5 or so at this pace. We'll see Star Wars Land in California because we have our families there and go west more often.

MySmallWorldof4

My guess is the blog post isn't really geared to people like us who are lucky to be able to go a minimum of once, twice, three times or more a year. It is geared towards those who save for years to be able to have a magical vacation. What sounds blah to many of us may be very enticing to those who have never been. Just a thought.

Bandini

My guess is the blog post isn't really geared to people like us who are lucky to be able to go a minimum of once, twice, three times or more a year. It is geared towards those who save for years to be able to have a magical vacation. What sounds blah to many of us may be very enticing to those who have never been. Just a thought.
I think you're right, but how is this supposed to attract new visitors:

More Updates on Star Wars-Inspired Land
– Disney’s Animal Kingdom isn’t the only theme park enjoying an expansion. Disney’s Hollywood Studios is also adding a Star Wars-inspired land, which is currently under construction at the park. Measuring 14-acres, the new land will transport guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life. Look for more updates on this expansion and its offerings later this year.

I don't think new visitors are stupid, so I don't think this would be a reason to visit WDW .

drizgirl

– Disney’s Animal Kingdom isn’t the only theme park enjoying an expansion. Disney’s Hollywood Studios is also adding a Star Wars-inspired land, which is currently under construction at the park. Measuring 14-acres, the new land will transport guests to a never-before-seen planet, a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life. Look for more updates on this expansion and its offerings later this year.

I don't think new visitors are stupid, so I don't think this would be a reason to visit WDW .

Sounds to me like a good reason for the occasional visitor to wait just a bit longer (until the construction is done and the new lands open).

21stamps

I wonder if they are doing some kind of preview announcement event later this year? Maybe around when the new movie comes out?

rael ramone

17 for 17 (reminds me of 30 for 30 from the shrinking arm of $DIS otherwise know as ESPN)...

Sounds cute. 17 is a *lot* of new stuff to add, so one would expect that in addition to a hoped for home run (Avatar) they'd include some base on balls, reached base on error or passed ball on a 3rd strike, etc. Not 'come see the new young phenom play.... but he's not here yet.... he's still down in the minors and he's got a way to go before he's up to the big leagues, but he's a reason to pay money to see the team now'...really...

I'm guessing someone high up the food chain demanded that Star Wars Land be included in the list despite it not opening in 17. Someone that doesn't care that the Theme of the list was things to do in 17 and SWL doesn't fit that particular theme..

(And a part of me wonders if someone will print out the list of 17, highlight #16, then try to scale the fence in DHS to 'experience' SWL in 17)...

Figments Friend

....What? You know there is no theoretical possible way for SWL to open in DL this year right? I don't know where you are hearing from but the target has always been from leaked insiders to be 2019.

My mistake then....for some reason i have been under the impression it was the end of this year, but it is indeed much later as i just did some catching up.

Carry on, these are not the Droids you are looking for....

2017 is still a great time to visit DLR, though !
:)

-

The_Jobu

Threads like these always say more about the posters than they do about Disney.

That's what I enjoy about WDWMagic, you always know what people are going to say. Like heading to your local pub, you know what all the regulars are going to say already about what's in the news, but there is comfort in the predictability.

Also, this list was pretty sad. We could probably cobble together a better one if we tried.

BrerJon

It is deliberately worded to imply it's opening this year. It's listed under reasons to visit in 2017, is under construction (which at any normal park probably means not far off opening) and no opening date is given, so any casual reader would assume it's a 2017 thing.

They no question want some people to misunderstand and book a trip thinking they're getting Star Wars land too, and of course guests of that research level will see Launch Bay and the fireworks and assume that's it, so there's not much danger of blowback to Disney doing that.

21stamps

I don't think anybody has an issue with Disney posting something like this on their blog. The point is, Disney couldn't even come up with 17 things that are truly exciting. I saw maybe 2-3 that were interesting to me.
I agree about the 2-3. I think that's common in a blog post, and I think it's the point of it. I rarely read something where everything interests me.

For what it's worth, the 20 reasons listed were great! I dont think the "17 in '17" would or should be a commercial, two different types and styles of marketing.

TP2000

More details about SWL...

Maybe an approximate opening to be announce later this year? (most likely for Disneyland though)

They will obviously have to talk about Star Wars Land for both coasts at this year's D23 Expo in Anaheim. So I would expect the "more news" the Parks Blog blathered on about to arrive around July 16th mid-afternoon Anaheim time.

But I'm still not sure why that media announcement this July in Anaheim would be a reason to visit WDW this year? :confused:

Last edited:

Bandini

They will obviously have to talk about Star Wars Land for both coasts at this year's D23 Expo in Anaheim. So I would expect the "more news" the Parks Blog blathered on about to arrive around July 16th mid-afternoon Anaheim time.

But I'm still not sure why that media announcement this July in Anaheim would be a reason to visit WDW this year? :confused:
It wouldn't. That's the joke! But I think it's the direction that social media is taking, they pretend everything is a big event.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My mistake then....for some reason i have been under the impression it was the end of this year, but it is indeed much later as i just did some catching up.

Carry on, these are not the Droids you are looking for....

2017 is still a great time to visit DLR, though !
:)

-

Or TDL or TDS better visit BOTH to see how Disney Parks in the US USED to be run, Heck they even have day and nighttime parades which get regular plussing instead of duct tape and bailing wire to keep them running...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It wouldn't. That's the joke! But I think it's the direction that social media is taking, they pretend everything is a big event.

This is the company which made a big deal of the opening of a parking structure for crying out loud. At one time Disney was the leader in creating things you did not know you wanted till you saw them of course.

Now Repainting something is front page news in the Orlando Sentinel, How the mighty have fallen under Igor and his band of Pressler disciples. I wonder whether they have leathers emblazoned with 'Sons of Pressler'

Figments Friend

It is deliberately worded to imply it's opening this year. It's listed under reasons to visit in 2017, is under construction (which at any normal park probably means not far off opening) and no opening date is given, so any casual reader would assume it's a 2017 thing.

They no question want some people to misunderstand and book a trip thinking they're getting Star Wars land too, and of course guests of that research level will see Launch Bay and the fireworks and assume that's it, so there's not much danger of blowback to Disney doing that.

Reminds me a lot of last year around this time, when Disney was running WDW adverts before theatrical showings of 'The Force Awkaens' out here in cinemas located in the Northeastern US.

I had a good chuckle after seeing the ad, as it made Launch Bay seem like a whole new 'land' to explore and enjoy in 2016.

Talk about slightly misleading....
:hilarious:

-

Bandini

Am I the only one who forgets that Pandora is even being built?
That's number 13 on the blog and that's not the issue, as you already know.

Perhaps the blog's author should've changed the post to focus solely on Pandora/Avatarland and talked about 17 neat things to see in that land. Instead she tried to convince us that visiting a gift shop, restaurant, or attending a SWL announcement was a great reason to visit the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom