Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

Tom Morrow

They're going to get backlash for following Kong with F&F and Fallon. I'm willing to put money on it. People will still go... but the whole "Universal is better and more innovative than Disney now!!" stuff is going to end unless they follow those with something better. At least the Nintendo concepts look promising.

Mike S

Original Poster
They're going to get backlash for following Kong with F&F and Fallon. I'm willing to put money on it. People will still go... but the whole "Universal is better and more innovative than Disney now!!" stuff is going to end unless they follow those with something better. At least the Nintendo concepts look promising.
Volcano Bay.

Tom Morrow

Ehh, water parks, even in Orlando, are kind of a separate entity. Volcano Bay is also not going to blow away Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon either, it will probably be about on par.

Disneyhead'71

Ehh, water parks, even in Orlando, are kind of a separate entity. Volcano Bay is also not going to blow away Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon either, it will probably be about on par.
I believe that you may be underestimating VB. Just the collection of state of the art slides alone blows either of the Disney water parks out of the water.

Tom Morrow

I believe that you may be underestimating VB. Just the collection of state of the art slides alone blows either of the Disney water parks out of the water.
But theming and immersion-wise, it's unlikely it will beat them. I could be wrong, but it appears to be mostly exposed slides and minimal tropical theming albeit with a big fancy centerpiece. Don't reply with "Typhoon Lagoon is the same thing!" because it's much more than that. I also hope they take as many measures as they can to hide I-4 and Turkey Lake.The slide lineup is impressive though.

Guessing:

From a theming perspective:
1. Typhoon Lagoon
2. Blizzard Beach
3. Volcano Bay
4. Aquatica

From a slide offering perspective:
1. Volcano Bay
2. Aquatica
3. Blizzard Beach
4. Typhoon Lagoon

Disneyhead'71

But theming and immersion-wise, it's unlikely it will beat them. I could be wrong, but it appears to be mostly exposed slides and minimal tropical theming albeit with a big fancy centerpiece. Don't reply with "Typhoon Lagoon is the same thing!" because it's much more than that. I also hope they take as many measures as they can to hide I-4 and Turkey Lake.The slide lineup is impressive though.

Guessing:

From a theming perspective:
1. Typhoon Lagoon
2. Blizzard Beach
3. Volcano Bay
4. Aquatica

From a slide offering perspective:
1. Volcano Bay
2. Aquatica
3. Blizzard Beach
4. Typhoon Lagoon
Does The Polynesian Village Resort have minimal theming and is it less themed than TL/BB?

Kman101

Man, the amount of defending Universal gets is kind of astounding. It's OK if someone doesn't like something .... LOL. Some people CAN'T do screen based attractions. And let's wait until VB is open before calling it the bestest thing ever. Some are still going to prefer the Disney water parks, it just is what is. No need to get upset. Universal is doing amazing things but they aren't flawless and perfect. (And just to add, I currently have a brand new pass to Universal and nothing for Disney). And having passed the volcano on I4, I wasn't all that impressed. Maybe when it's finished I will be. It's not me trying to knock anything, it's just a difference of opinion.

Mike S

Original Poster
Man, the amount of defending Universal gets is kind of astounding. It's OK if someone doesn't like something .... LOL. Some people CAN'T do screen based attractions. And let's wait until VB is open before calling it the bestest thing ever. Some are still going to prefer the Disney water parks, it just is what is. No need to get upset. Universal is doing amazing things but they aren't flawless and perfect. (And just to add, I currently have a brand new pass to Universal and nothing for Disney). And having passed the volcano on I4, I wasn't all that impressed. Maybe when it's finished I will be. It's not me trying to knock anything, it's just a difference of opinion.
Well I was just saying that VB is the next big thing between now and Nintendo. F&F? Meh. I'd rather see what they could have cooking for 2019.

Kman101

No, not really directed towards you @Mike S but I really don't care much for water parks. I know Disney has done a good job, theme wise, and I'm sure Universal will too, but this isn't going to be their true third gate. JMO. It just now can compete better with the parks down the road. I will gladly admit if I'm wrong though.

I'm looking forward to Ninetendo, it was a big part of my childhood, but it's still a couple of years off. I really don't know that it will reach Potter levels of crowds but Universal REALLY needs this kind of area. And the rides? Mario Kart and Donkey Kong alone will have me rushing to wait in line. I trust them to do them justice.

Mike S

Original Poster
No, not really directed towards you @Mike S but I really don't care much for water parks. I know Disney has done a good job, theme wise, and I'm sure Universal will too, but this isn't going to be their true third gate. JMO. It just now can compete better with the parks down the road. I will gladly admit if I'm wrong though.

I'm looking forward to Ninetendo, it was a big part of my childhood, but it's still a couple of years off. I really don't know that it will reach Potter levels of crowds but Universal REALLY needs this kind of area. And the rides? Mario Kart and Donkey Kong alone will have me rushing to wait in line. I trust them to do them justice.
It could maybe happen in Orlando/Hollywood.

It'll definitely happen in Japan.

Kman101

I would be shocked if Japan didn't have Potter level crowds for Nintendo land. Stunned quite frankly. I just think Potter is on a different level, even though Nintendo and Mario, etc. are steeped into our culture. I hate saying it won't reach that level in the US parks but I think that was a phenomenon we won't see repeated but who knows? Maybe there will be.

imperius

I would be shocked if Japan didn't have Potter level crowds for Nintendo land. Stunned quite frankly. I just think Potter is on a different level, even though Nintendo and Mario, etc. are steeped into our culture. I hate saying it won't reach that level in the US parks but I think that was a phenomenon we won't see repeated but who knows? Maybe there will be.
Star Wars will probably be just as bad as Potter and Nintendo has a pretty good chance.

disney4life2008

I live here and pass the volcano every day. How can say your not impressed when for the last 3 plus months its nothing but construction? Just saying

disney4life2008

Because I'm not. When scaffolding comes down I'm sure I will be. Why does it bother you that I'm not?

It doesn't bother me at all. I haven't visited Universal in years and don't play either side. But saying something doesn't look impressive from a construction perspective seems premature.

Kman101

It doesn't bother me at all. I haven't visited Universal in years and don't play either side. But saying something doesn't look impressive from a construction perspective seems premature.

Well we all make premature judgements. I think the volcano at Rainforest is more impressive. I expected some big imposing WOW Volcano and to me it wasn't. I'm sure when I'm there I'll be impressed.

Tom Morrow

The size and height of the volcano are impressive, but it doesn't appear to be organically incorporated into its surroundings. Again I'm just basing this on how it looks from construction and concept art so its a bit unfair to judge early.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom