Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

Mark P.

Forgot about that. I have not received it.

Mine arrived today. As a nice gesture, they threw in a 2017 runDisney pin as well.

2016-12-21 17.26.07.jpg

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I just got my pins...runDisney Santa left them on my front door step this morning. And a few weeks ago, I received a shirt in the mail I don't remember ordering. Hey, free stuff!

DeweyDuck

First time post and a newbie to runDisney so apologies for the silly questions coming up.. I'm looking to take part in the 10k Wine & Dine race but just wanted to clarify a few things before I even think about signing up! So just to triple check, for the 10k race, you do not need to provide proof of run time? You just need keep up with the pace they set which is 15/16 minute per mile.. Also I guess there is no corral placement for the 10k or am I wrong?

And if my partner did not want to take part in the race but wanted to watch, is it free to come or not? I saw in the spectator section on the runDisney site, it was $49 but for the chEAR squad but didn't know if that was just some package.. :confused:

dreamfinder

First time post and a newbie to runDisney so apologies for the silly questions coming up.. I'm looking to take part in the 10k Wine & Dine race but just wanted to clarify a few things before I even think about signing up! So just to triple check, for the 10k race, you do not need to provide proof of run time? You just need keep up with the pace they set which is 15/16 minute per mile.. Also I guess there is no corral placement for the 10k or am I wrong?

And if my partner did not want to take part in the race but wanted to watch, is it free to come or not? I saw in the spectator section on the runDisney site, it was $49 but for the chEAR squad but didn't know if that was just some package.. :confused:

You don't need proof of time for the 5k or 10k. Yes, you will be expected to maintain the required pace, or may be swept off the course. Admittedly, sweeping is pretty unlikely for those, just due to the course layout and logistics. When you register you will be asked for your expected pace/finish time, and they will seed you in a corral accordingly.

It is free to watch, however they can't watch from inside the parks for the shorter races. Depending on the event the chEAR squad may get you access to prime bleachers at the finish line, but is more a merch package that includes a shirt, blanket and clappers (I think), and I think is usually only sold for the 1/2 and full marathon distances. May be able to watch only at the start finish area. The normal 10k course would let them in theory cheer from the Epcot resort area, but as the park won't be open they have no way to get to/from the start finish area unless you have a car or use the event transportation. And even then, going from start to BC/YC to finish within the hour or so will be really tough (if not impossible).

DeweyDuck

You don't need proof of time for the 5k or 10k. Yes, you will be expected to maintain the required pace, or may be swept off the course. Admittedly, sweeping is pretty unlikely for those, just due to the course layout and logistics. When you register you will be asked for your expected pace/finish time, and they will seed you in a corral accordingly.

It is free to watch, however they can't watch from inside the parks for the shorter races. Depending on the event the chEAR squad may get you access to prime bleachers at the finish line, but is more a merch package that includes a shirt, blanket and clappers (I think), and I think is usually only sold for the 1/2 and full marathon distances. May be able to watch only at the start finish area. The normal 10k course would let them in theory cheer from the Epcot resort area, but as the park won't be open they have no way to get to/from the start finish area unless you have a car or use the event transportation. And even then, going from start to BC/YC to finish within the hour or so will be really tough (if not impossible).

Thank you so much! That clears up a lot now. After that, I think my partner has decided to run the 10k as well haha. At least that solves that problem! :p

LAKid53

Premium Member
Wow, what a pain in the *** early registration for next year's W&D was. First, neither the AP or DVC link was working when the clock struck noon. And Chrome decided it needed a major update as I was logging into my Active.com account - so I ended up using that web browser virus called IE.... And then Stitch ate the DVC page link, so after 10 minutes of pure frustration (and words I would get banned for on this site), I finally was able to start registration.

Noticed runDisney has once again changed the name of the 5k race. In 2015 it was still Mickey's Jingle Jungle Run. Then this year it changed to Mickey's Holiday 5K. In 2017, the 5k will be Mickey's Fall Feast. What's up with that? Can we assume the course will still be run through AK? Only the 10K currently has a starting point listed.

Back to training for the Princess Half next month. :)

Mark P.

Based on last year's experience, I blocked off a half-hour on my calendar so I could have two devices up and refreshing to register both of us (wife's doing the half, I'm doing the Challenge) -- turns out, I could have just waited until after work. That's what happens when you open registration (a) two months earlier and (a) just as credit card statements from the holidays are starting to arrive, I guess...

Texas84

Noticed runDisney has once again changed the name of the 5k race. In 2015 it was still Mickey's Jingle Jungle Run. Then this year it changed to Mickey's Holiday 5K. In 2017, the 5k will be Mickey's Fall Feast. What's up with that? Can we assume the course will still be run through AK?

Fall Feast to match the W&D theme I guess? I was told they used to rotate the 5K location. Maybe they are not announcing because of Avatar. No idea. My money is on an Epcot 5K.

Figment82

I'm in for #8! I was expecting an email from runDisney with a personalized registration link like they sent last year, but hadn't received anything. Then I wasn't able to be at the computer at noon, so I was a little anxious. Finally was able to register through DVC at 12:30 and the legacy email arrived in my inbox around 2:15... Thanks guys... :rolleyes:

I see registration is still open so I needn't have gotten so stressed. I knew it wouldn't be so bad since it was so close to two other races and the holidays, but you never can tell! Just glad to have it done and off my mind.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Noticed that registration includes a 3 months subscription to Runners World. Since I registered for both the 5k and Challenge, I now have 2 free subscriptions since it was impossible to complete registration without checking the box for country of origin.

Glad I didn't send in that card from the current issue....

Greenlawler

I passed this year. I was excited to take advantage of my AP status, but yesterday as I sat down at my office desk for the first time after WDW Marathon Weekend, I had to take a deep breath and reconsider.

it's just too soon after Christmas for me. We have three boys and we probably overspent over the Holidays and for our WDW Marathon Trip. Not to mention the fact that we will be leaving for the Princess in just over 5 weeks. And paying for next years 2018 WDW weekend in three weeks :depressed:

So Wine and Dine was the first casualty of the new early registrations for us.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I passed this year. I was excited to take advantage of my AP status, but yesterday as I sat down at my office desk for the first time after WDW Marathon Weekend, I had to take a deep breath and reconsider.

it's just too soon after Christmas for me. We have three boys and we probably overspent over the Holidays and for our WDW Marathon Trip. Not to mention the fact that we will be leaving for the Princess in just over 5 weeks. And paying for next years 2018 WDW weekend in three weeks :depressed:

So Wine and Dine was the first casualty of the new early registrations for us.

I'm wondering if the moved up registration, especially right after this year's Marathon, isn't going to impact participation overall. But it may mean I don't have to hover over my keyboard at 11:59 the day registration opens....

I was shocked to see that registration for the 25th Marathon opens 5 weeks after this year's race.

surfsupdon

I will be passing on this year's Wine&Dine. I have competed in 6 of the 7 W&D Half Marathons....and I gave the new format a try. It just felt sterile, and a shell of its formal self. I missed the unique aspects associated with a night time race, the ability to "party, ride, and eat" at Epcot immediately after running, and really felt the course was lacking. I know we cannot get Osborne Lights back to run through...there just was not that WOW moment on course (Osborne Lights or a Castle).

I am sorry I will miss out, but my memories of years past are better than the reality at hand. I will be at future runDisney weekends, obviously, but not yet ready for this one.

And congrats @Figment82 on legacy. I truly am jealous of legacies. Both of my legacies were discontinued...3 Tower 13K and 2 Tower 10Milers. They keep eluding me.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I will be passing on this year's Wine&Dine. I have competed in 6 of the 7 W&D Half Marathons....and I gave the new format a try. It just felt sterile, and a shell of its formal self. I missed the unique aspects associated with a night time race, the ability to "party, ride, and eat" at Epcot immediately after running, and really felt the course was lacking. I know we cannot get Osborne Lights back to run through...there just was not that WOW moment on course (Osborne Lights or a Castle).

I am sorry I will miss out, but my memories of years past are better than the reality at hand. I will be at future runDisney weekends, obviously, but not yet ready for this one.

And congrats @Figment82 on legacy. I truly am jealous of legacies. Both of my legacies were discontinued...3 Tower 13K and 2 Tower 10Milers. They keep eluding me.

Sorry you won't be running with us this year. All I heard about last year was how the Half wasn't the same fun, exciting race any more. Ran into a former colleague at the grocery store a few weeks ago. He asked how/what I'd been doing. Told him I started running in runDisney races. He got this smile on his face and started talking about what a blast the W&D Half was - he even ran in the 2015 Wine & Dash. He mentioned that it was no longer a night race and friends of his weren't happy about it. I said, yeah, that's the general feeling now.

Wish I would have started running halfs in 2015 - that would have been my first one.

surfsupdon

Sorry you won't be running with us this year. All I heard about last year was how the Half wasn't the same fun, exciting race any more. Ran into a former colleague at the grocery store a few weeks ago. He asked how/what I'd been doing. Told him I started running in runDisney races. He got this smile on his face and started talking about what a blast the W&D Half was - he even ran in the 2015 Wine & Dash. He mentioned that it was no longer a night race and friends of his weren't happy about it. I said, yeah, that's the general feeling now.

Wish I would have started running halfs in 2015 - that would have been my first one.

YES! You have started running runDisney, so don't be upset it wasn't in your time frame.

I ALWAYS raved about W&D, in my mind, the ultimate runDisney race. I told anyone that would listen to run it....friends, family, other Guests, volunteers, CMS. Some years had warm and perfect nights, others were blazing hot, humid, one had pouring rain and wind, and the infamous short race b/c of storms. Despite this, the course itself was phenomenal, ESPN-AK-MGM(so much time)-Yacht/Beach-Epcot. And the afterparty immediately after the race was unique.

You'll enjoy the W&D Weekend. Even in its new format, it is unique. Have fun. I am sure I will eventually return.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom