Skull Island: Reign of Kong from construction to opening

Rider

If we use express pass for this will we miss a lot of things in the queue?
In my opinion, no. Express still passes through the main queue room so you can feel free to stop and watch if you want. The only thing you really miss is the live scare actor

Edit: oh and I guess an animatronic bug at the very end of the queue. It's kinda cool but not worth waiting more than 15 minutes in standby for

Last edited:

John Hearn

So what I don't understand is what's with the hate with Kong? I think it's a good addition; not the best as it was hyped up to be and not the worst as some are exaggerating. Many complain about the use of screens but if they think about it, with the technology available, practical sets and AAs for this ride aren't available now. Maybe in the future where giant AAs can fight each other without it looking cheesy then yeah limited screen use right there but complaining about a ride just because of screens makes me confused (some can say it's cheap but the specs can be more than what it seems ). It's a good ride where I would have loved to see more sets and AAs (possibly a better storyline) but isn't downright terrible as many say.

Cmdr_Crimson

Having been there for a full week the attraction is notorious for Break Downs....Both times I have been on it they'd experience a Minor, Brief & Extended delay...Which seems to be problematic for the way it's done since the ride itself is just an AtTRAMtion from Hollywood and with the Studio side getting the Fast & Furious: Supercharged Grand Finale from the tram tour as it's own attraction will see how this turns out...

Club Cooloholic

I agree, I don't get the hate. I almost was gonna skip it because I had heard such negative talk. I agree I don't love screens, but this was sort of a hybrid, and I really thought the Animatronic Kong at the end was superb. Considering Disney could never get the Yeti going I love this ride. That said, I got to ride it, and it did break down right after my wife rode it (kid swap) so maybe the break downs have to do with the ill feelings.

Frankie The Beer

So what I don't understand is what's with the hate with Kong? I think it's a good addition; not the best as it was hyped up to be and not the worst as some are exaggerating. Many complain about the use of screens but if they think about it, with the technology available, practical sets and AAs for this ride aren't available now. Maybe in the future where giant AAs can fight each other without it looking cheesy then yeah limited screen use right there but complaining about a ride just because of screens makes me confused (some can say it's cheap but the specs can be more than what it seems ). It's a good ride where I would have loved to see more sets and AAs (possibly a better storyline) but isn't downright terrible as many say.

Kong does not live up to the hype produced by the pundits, its that simple. Read this thread for example. Kong is nothing more than a little glossier version of the terrible tram ride from California with an animatronic at the end. Universal can do better.

Mike S

Original Poster
Kong does not live up to the hype produced by the pundits, its that simple. Read this thread for example. Kong is nothing more than a little glossier version of the terrible tram ride from California with an animatronic at the end. Universal can do better.
*Opinion

Also a gross simplification.

Mike S

Original Poster
All the hype surrounding Kong was an opinion, and a laughable one at that. The ride stinks, you can try to gloss over it as best you can but a turd is a turd.
So my enjoyment of it is some kind of brainwashing I guess.
seh6p.gif

John Hearn

How is it terrible? I did state it didn't live up to its hype and it wasn't as bad as some are exaggerating. Plus if it's a "glossed" version of the Hollywood version, where did the 10,000 hours of man hours into making the temple go (or was it less I forgot)? Or 18 months put into that animatronic ? How about the improved quality of the screens? Or the trackless RV system for it? It's a solid "good" ride in my opinion.

Last edited:

007mickey

Rode it last week and enjoyed it. Could it have been more? Sure but I think the bar has been set pretty high by Uni with the immersive Potterlands. Everything can't be as spectacular as Diagon Alley. I purposely didn't read reviews or much about the ride knowing we would be visiting and I thought the use of live actors in the queue line was outstanding. Overall B+ in my book.

BrenRays

I finally got to ride Kong yesterday! Here is my review. I was following the construction very closely and was a little bummed out by the ride reviews and videos. I was much more impressed riding the ride in person and was excited all over again! The queue is incredible and everything about it is larger than life. The temple doors opening in front of you, the ride vehicle, and Kong are much bigger in person! I rode it four times and got Jinx and Will(?) twice. I don't think the drivers have that big a diffference but it's nice even to just hear a different voice "narrating" to change things up for reridability. I agree slightly with the storytelling issues with the ride. I think maybe if they had an animatronic Kate on the other side of Kong or something instead of us just randomly hearing her voice at the end, it would have been a better ending. I was really impressed with the 360 tunnel and thought the range of motion for such a huge ride vechile was awesome! I thought it was pretty rough.
I know the never ending screen debate is a hot topic with Universal fans, but I don't have screen fatigue. I think Universal does screen rides great, and have other rides that blend screens in with amazing practical sets. The only thing that was weird for me was the switching back and forth from complete practical sets to complete screens. I think it didn't flow as well seeing an animatronic bat and then screen bats and then a screen Kong and an animatronic Kong. If they did the two scenes with Kate like the old Disastor ride with the practical sets with the jungle and jeep, and the screen people, I think it would have made a big difference. overall I love it and I can't believe people are saying this ride is terrible?! Sorry for my ramblings :)

Kman101

Never make it to these parts of WDWMAgic!

Loved Kong. Fun and dark queue. I was glad to be able to walk right on at park opening the other day I couldn't imagine being stuck in that queue. Creepy as all get out. Loved the person scaring people. Thankfully someone was ahead me, some girls, and he got them good and let me bypass lol.

The ride itself is fun. Seems a tad short but it may not be. I wasn't super impressed by the clearly computer generated graphics and the 3D seemed not that impressive (none of Uni's 3D wows me TBH sorry but I still love the rides) but I still loved the ride and especially the fantastically well done Kong animatronic.

It's absolutely a solid attraction. Sorry some seem to not like it. Maybe you're screened out.

Mike S

Original Poster
Never make it to these parts of WDWMAgic!

Loved Kong. Fun and dark queue. I was glad to be able to walk right on at park opening the other day I couldn't imagine being stuck in that queue. Creepy as all get out. Loved the person scaring people. Thankfully someone was ahead me, some girls, and he got them good and let me bypass lol.

The ride itself is fun. Seems a tad short but it may not be. I wasn't super impressed by the clearly computer generated graphics and the 3D seemed not that impressive (none of Uni's 3D wows me TBH sorry but I still love the rides) but I still loved the ride and especially the fantastically well done Kong animatronic.

It's absolutely a solid attraction. Sorry some seem to not like it. Maybe you're screened out.
I could see if no 3D wows you. To me Kong has some of the best at the resort, especially if you're able to sit towards the center of the middle row. I found the middle of the last row pretty great as well for being able to kind of watch both sides at once and for the swinging effect.

The ride is actually around 6 minutes making it UOR's longest ride. It feels shorter because of the small number of total scenes and how much is going on in the 360 scene. Time flies when you're having fun :)

Kman101

I finally got to ride Kong yesterday! Here is my review. I was following the construction very closely and was a little bummed out by the ride reviews and videos. I was much more impressed riding the ride in person and was excited all over again! The queue is incredible and everything about it is larger than life. The temple doors opening in front of you, the ride vehicle, and Kong are much bigger in person! I rode it four times and got Jinx and Will(?) twice. I don't think the drivers have that big a diffference but it's nice even to just hear a different voice "narrating" to change things up for reridability. I agree slightly with the storytelling issues with the ride. I think maybe if they had an animatronic Kate on the other side of Kong or something instead of us just randomly hearing her voice at the end, it would have been a better ending. I was really impressed with the 360 tunnel and thought the range of motion for such a huge ride vechile was awesome! I thought it was pretty rough.
I know the never ending screen debate is a hot topic with Universal fans, but I don't have screen fatigue. I think Universal does screen rides great, and have other rides that blend screens in with amazing practical sets. The only thing that was weird for me was the switching back and forth from complete practical sets to complete screens. I think it didn't flow as well seeing an animatronic bat and then screen bats and then a screen Kong and an animatronic Kong. If they did the two scenes with Kate like the old Disastor ride with the practical sets with the jungle and jeep, and the screen people, I think it would have made a big difference. overall I love it and I can't believe people are saying this ride is terrible?! Sorry for my ramblings :)

Yes to all of this.

I agree about the Kate parts. I wasn't that impressed because it was clearly computer generated. IDK, It didn't ruin the ride or anything, I loved it all, but that definitely stood out, as well as when the jeep is "falling" ... overall though solid addition. The Kong animatronic is just amazing.

Kman101

I could see if no 3D wows you. To me Kong has some of the best at the resort, especially if you're able to sit towards the center of the middle row. I found the middle of the last row pretty great as well for being able to kind of watch both sides at once and for the swinging effect.

The ride is actually around 6 minutes making it UOR's longest ride. It feels shorter because of how much is going on in the 360 scene. Time flies when you're having fun :)

Wow! 6 minutes? It did fly by. Wasn't really meant to be critical of it, but it felt like it was over so fast.

Honestly even Spiderman didn't wow me with the 3D anymore? (Not all of it, just some of the in your face effects). I feel so awful saying that because it's still one of my top tier rides ever created, but I just feel kind of taken out of the ride. Transformers goes so herky and jerky that I don't have time to notice anything so that works for me. LOL. I know I'm probably a tad too critical but it's like some complain about CGI in movies and the new Soarin' when none of it bothers me at all ... so ... IDK? Doesn't mean I don't love the Universal rides, I just don't seem to be as impressed by it as I used to be.

For Kong I was in the middle and was on the left side, so I was right at where the door comes down so I had a perfect view of everything.

Kman101

And I'm also someone who loves Gringotts more than FJ and Gringotts seems to get a bit trashed on here.

I do think the screen reliance has to stop but there's no denying Universal is knocking it out of the park.

Kong with the temple and the queue and the animatronic really make up for any faults it may have. JMO.

Mike S

Original Poster
Wow! 6 minutes? It did fly by. Wasn't really meant to be critical of it, but it felt like it was over so fast.

Honestly even Spiderman didn't wow me with the 3D anymore? (Not all of it, just some of the in your face effects). I feel so awful saying that because it's still one of my top tier rides ever created, but I just feel kind of taken out of the ride. Transformers goes so herky and jerky that I don't have time to notice anything so that works for me. LOL. I know I'm probably a tad too critical but it's like some complain about CGI in movies and the new Soarin' when none of it bothers me at all ... so ... IDK? Doesn't mean I don't love the Universal rides, I just don't seem to be as impressed by it as I used to be.

For Kong I was in the middle and was on the left side, so I was right at where the door comes down so I had a perfect view of everything.
For some reason CGI Kate is the only thing that even kind of bothers me at Universal. I'm fine with everyone in Spider-Man, Transformers, Simpsons, and Kong's creatures. Soarin' Around the World as well for Disney. The original was more "real." Thankfully Jimmy Fallon will use live people like how they did Harry Potter. Sadly Fast & Furious sounds like it won't really be any kind of improvement in the CGI department.

You know, I read something interesting over on OU. One of the reasons the F&F movies are popular is because of the use of practical effects like actually having cars parachute out of an airplane.

For that reason alone, this ride concept truly misses the mark big time.

Last edited:

Kman101

For some reason CGI Kate is the only thing that even kind of bothers me at Universal. I'm fine with everyone in Spider-Man, Transformers, Simpsons, and Kong's creatures. Soarin' Around the World as well for Disney. The original was more "real." Thankfully Jimmy Fallon will use live people like how they did Harry Potter. Sadly Fast & Furious sounds like it won't really be any kind of improvement in the CGI department.

You know, I read something interesting over on OU. One of the reasons the F&F movies are popular is because of the use of practical effects like actually having cars parachute out of an airplane.

For that reason alone, this ride concept truly misses the mark big time.

Yeah, I'm iffy on F&F and not sure on Fallon. I don't really love him as much as some but the ride could be fun so I'm keeping an open mind. It felt a little weird seeing the NBC sign and building and seeing the sign for his attraction up. I think it could date itself pretty fast but Universal is also fast to replace something as well. It's basically Soarin over New York, no? Maybe not quite the same but I haven't followed the project much. I will probably enjoy the journey through New York because it's a goal of mine to get there very soon.

Simpsons doesn't bother me (I definitely get immersed in it). I think it could use a bit of a refresh, not the actual attraction but just some cleaning up. The exterior is a little faded and the signage could be replaced but I'm nitpicking ;) I ate in Moe's for the first time and just loved it. I mean I checked it out before but I really enjoyed the area this time.

The building for F&F is HUGE. Like you can see it very clearly from well across the water. Huge. Isn't it just a plussed version of the part of the Universal Tour in Hollywood?

The creatures in Kong didn't bother me. I was LOLing as they kept attacking each other and eating each other, one bigger than the next. There was a lot of people laughing throughout, I don't know if it was because some of it was bad effects or just funny. I can't remember the 'driver's' name but it was the dude from Texas, I think. He definitely had an accent. I wouldn't mind getting that one again.

Mike S

Original Poster
Yeah, I'm iffy on F&F and not sure on Fallon. I don't really love him as much as some but the ride could be fun so I'm keeping an open mind. It felt a little weird seeing the NBC sign and building and seeing the sign for his attraction up. I think it could date itself pretty fast but Universal is also fast to replace something as well. It's basically Soarin over New York, no? Maybe not quite the same but I haven't followed the project much. I will probably enjoy the journey through New York because it's a goal of mine to get there very soon.

Simpsons doesn't bother me (I definitely get immersed in it). I think it could use a bit of a refresh, not the actual attraction but just some cleaning up. The exterior is a little faded and the signage could be replaced but I'm nitpicking ;) I ate in Moe's for the first time and just loved it. I mean I checked it out before but I really enjoyed the area this time.

The building for F&F is HUGE. Like you can see it very clearly from well across the water. Huge. Isn't it just a plussed version of the part of the Universal Tour in Hollywood?

The creatures in Kong didn't bother me. I was LOLing as they kept attacking each other and eating each other, one bigger than the next. There was a lot of people laughing throughout, I don't know if it was because some of it was bad effects or just funny. I can't remember the 'driver's' name but it was the dude from Texas, I think. He definitely had an accent. I wouldn't mind getting that one again.
Fallon sounds like it'll be much closer to the ground than Soarin'. They could always change it out with new Tonight Show hosts as time goes on.

F&F is not plussed like how Kong was. It seems like it'll have the same show scenes as Hollywood but just in a different layout closer to how Kong is layed out.

One of my favorite Kong scenes is the bug pit. Best use of water effects even though for some it's been watered down (lol) by overuse.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom