Star Wars: Rogue One

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
So to fully understand this movie you need to know the Clone Wars story? This is confusing. Let's stick to movies that are easy to see, please Disney. I don't have time to go back and watch tv shows!

I don't think you need to have seen anything else, especially not Clone Wars, to like this movie. Yes, there are things that will mean more to you if you have seen the other movies/shows, but I can't think of anything that was important to the plot that required some prior knowledge.

21stamps

I don't think you need to have seen anything else, especially not Clone Wars, to like this movie. Yes, there are things that will mean more to you if you have seen the other movies/shows, but I can't think of anything that was important to the plot that required some prior knowledge.
I think the movie does stand on it's own. I just think it would be interesting to know the backstory of the Saw character...without watching a tv series which I know I'll never do. A movie would have been easier lol

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I just saw it today and really enjoyed it, I think I like it more the Force Awakens. Lots of really nice Easter eggs connecting it to the other movies and TV shows that as a big Star Wars fan I really liked. One think I haven't seen anyone mention, how many things from the trailers was missing from the film.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think the movie does stand on it's own. I just think it would be interesting to know the backstory of the Saw character...without watching a tv series which I know I'll never do. A movie would have been easier lol

As someone else said, every you really need to know about Saw is in the movie. I watched the whole Clone Wars series and barely remember the episode he was in.

21stamps

As someone else said, every you really need to know about Saw is in the movie. I watched the whole Clone Wars series and barely remember the episode he was in.
Oh really? That's a little disappointing. I thought he would have had a larger role in them based on things that were said in the movie. It made it seem liked there was a backstory there.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Oh really? That's a little disappointing. I thought he would have had a larger role in them based on things that were said in the movie. It made it seem liked there was a backstory there.

He was in four episodes, and there was a back story, but not one that is important to understanding his character in Rouge One.

21stamps

I read a piece where they thought it was in character. "I find your lack of faith disturbing". "Perhaps you feel you're being treated unfairly?" "Apology accepted, Captain Needa".
I was surprised that the audience (at our showing) did not have more of a reaction when Vader came on the screen for the first time.

At opening night of The Force Awakens a good portion of the audience clapped when each "original" character came out. Kind of odd, but it was kind of neat too. Darth Vader did not receive that, or anything.lol

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I read a piece where they thought it was in character. "I find your lack of faith disturbing". "Perhaps you feel you're being treated unfairly?" "Apology accepted, Captain Needa".

The intent of the line was in character, but it's the pun that bothered me.

ElreTigo

It's true that reactions to the pun are mixed.
I didn't see a problem with it. Very much like his "Apology accepted" remark just after killing off an officer in TESB. Just a little dark humor showing a hint of his human side underneath all the machinery he's made of.

If he had looked at the camera and said: "See what I did there?" or "Wakka Wakka" after the RO pun, then I'd have something to complain about.

JohnD

I didn't see a problem with it. Very much like his "Apology accepted" remark just after killing off an officer in TESB. Just a little dark humor showing a hint of his human side underneath all the machinery he's made of.

If he had looked at the camera and said: "See what I did there?" or "Wakka Wakka" after the RO pun, then I'd have something to complain about.

I'm in your camp.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I just saw it today and really enjoyed it, I think I like it more the Force Awakens. Lots of really nice Easter eggs connecting it to the other movies and TV shows that as a big Star Wars fan I really liked. One think I haven't seen anyone mention, how many things from the trailers was missing from the film.

The huge thing going for it verse TFA is it doesn't feel so forced or predictable as TFA was. It has ties without them feeling like bolt owns just for the sake of being there. There are some, but not nearly as bad as in TFA and some of the prequels.

Princess Leia

Ok, saw it again, and there was laughter to the pun! Huzzah!

Anyways, here are my thoughts:
  • Bail Organa is never mentioned by name, and his importance is literally never elaborated on. He just shows up, and the music swells upon his entrance, and if you've never seen a Star Wars movie, you might be wondering who the f this guy is
  • On that note, I can't remember if they mentioned Mon Mothma by name
  • I was more attached to the Erso family this time around, and way to go Casting Department, Lyra and Jyn definitely look related
  • Trying to do the math here, but Cassian says he's been a part of the rebellion since he was 6- how old does that make him? 26?
  • I love Chirrut and Baze. Love. Probably my favorite characters.
  • I think Bodhi got the short stick.
  • I still feel like the team needed one big Team moment before the final battle. I don't think that what happened on Eadu (spelling?) really counts
  • On the whole though, and I think I'm in the minority here, I cared more about Rey than Jyn.
  • "Anderson, do shut up." (Sherlock reference that definitely applies)
  • Red Leader and Gold Leader!!!!
  • The last third is just so satisfying
  • Okay, now the spoilers
  • Tarkin's CGI face only worked for a brief 2 seconds in his third to last appearance
    [*]Ugh, Leia could have worked if it didn't end on a giant close up of her face
    [*]Of all of the deaths, I guess Chirrut's and Baze's had the most 'meaning'. There was no time to reflect on Bodhi's, or K2's (though he had a dramatic sacrifice), or Jyn's and Cassian's. True to war, there was just no time.
    [*]RIP Blue Squadron, we barely knew ye.
    [*]Lead female characters now seem to have a 50/50 chance of survival

doctornick

On the whole though, and I think I'm in the minority here, I cared more about Rey than Jyn.

I don't think you are in the minority. Rey is very popular (and will only become more popular as the new trilogy unfolds) and it would be tough for Jyn to surpass her.

The character development was one area where IMHO The Force Awakens was clearly superior to Rogue One.

Princess Leia

Oh, one more little thing that still bothers me- some of the CGI that was used in the third act should have been a little cleaner? I can't remember if it was the corvette or a different space craft, but it didn't look as polished as the X-wings and Star destroyers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom