POLL: Which do you prefer? Upsells or layoffs

Which do you prefer?

• Upsells. It doesn't bother me because I don't have to buy them.

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • Layoffs. Parks should layoff workers instead offering optional upsells that I don't have to buy.

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters

JohnD

Do you guys seriously feel the need to humiliate someone like that?

It's not a fair poll. It gives the impression of just loving upsells or not wanting to be bothered by them so layoff some Disney workers. Um, really? Given the choices in the poll, I voted for the upsells as far preferable to laying anyone off. Not a difficult decision. Doesn't mean I like the idea of the upsells, though.

Siren

Original Poster
Do you guys seriously feel the need to humiliate someone like that?
Wow!!! @David2319, I adore you so much!!! And, thanks for looking out for me!!!

If you don't like it just don't vote.
OMG, @David2319!!! Seriously, thank you, again!!! LOL. It's not some mind blowing revelation -- that comment is akin to saying that water is wet or the sun is hot or something like that.

All polls, surveys, and statistics are conducted under some hidden(blind) bias, intentional or otherwise.

I could have easily worded the poll to conceal my bias.

But, I decided not to and just to add a little humor to the discussion. That's all.

Given the choices in the poll, I voted for the upsells as far preferable to laying anyone off. Not a difficult decision. Doesn't mean I like the idea of the upsells, though.
Hi @JohnD! Thanks so much for voting. Not only, are you part of the majority but you totally made the right choice!

Siren

Original Poster
Okay so, upon further reflection, my thoughts on Sea World have changed. Sea World does so much to rescue and rehabilitate so many birds and mammals, many of them are facing extinction. Sea World also strives to educate children and people.

I honestly believe that Sea World should be publicly funded like zoos -- both at the Federal and Local gov't levels.

drizgirl

All polls, surveys, and statistics are conducted under some hidden(blind) bias, intentional or otherwise.

That's funny because there was a big discussion on another thread here just recently about the topic of survey bias. We should get you together with that poster to hash it out.

Last edited:

culturenthrills

Blackfish combined with the rise in popularity of Universal and a dramatic drop in South American tourists have made a perfect storm that has really hurt SeaWorld Orlando. It really is the Orlando park that is causing them the most problems. Also they didn't handle the transition from being under AB to becoming a publicly traded company well.

Siren

Original Poster
Sea World Orlando just banned a guest from their park for mourning Tilikum with a snarky sign and 33 roses. Good for them, I would have banned her too!

I do believe she meant well, however her message was to incite -- and that's why she is banned. I'm sure they will reverse it after a couple of years with no further incidents.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...ar-driver-banned-seaworld-20170123-story.html

Blackfish combined with the rise in popularity of Universal and a dramatic drop in South American tourists have made a perfect storm that has really hurt SeaWorld Orlando. It really is the Orlando park that is causing them the most problems. Also they didn't handle the transition from being under AB to becoming a publicly traded company well.
Someone here mentioned that Sea World needs it's own on site hotel(s) and I totally agree. And, an underwater themed land like Atlantis or something should do the trick.

And, Sea World is borrowing a few tricks from Disney this year and I think it's a good thing!

Here are 3 ways SeaWorld plans to copy Disney
http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...are-3-ways-seaworld-plans-to-copy-disney.html

Orlando-based SeaWorld Entertainment Inc. (NYSE: SEAS) plans to follow competitor Walt Disney Co.’s (NYSE: DIS) lead in three specific ways with the introduction of a new food-centric Seven Seas Festival, according to Fox Business and The Motley Fool.

The festival, to take place on Saturdays from Feb. 11-May 13, will emphasize food the way Disney does with events such as the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.

SeaWorld also will offer a keepsake Mason jar for annual ticket holders who go to the Seven Seas Festival at least three times, similar to how Disney offers a keepsake Food &Wine glass to annual ticket holders who are repeat visitors to the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.

Further, SeaWorld’s festival will have premium seating — for a price — as well as offer to let attendees meet a chef and try the festival food for an additional $19.

The move comes at a time when SeaWorld Entertainment still is trying to find its footing after several quarters of sluggish earnings and flat attendance gains. The company’s 2016 third-quarter reports showed total revenue dropped 2 percent to $485.3 million for the three months ending Sept. 30, down from $496.9 million for the same period last year. Revenue for the nine-month period also was down 2 percent to $1.07 billion from $1.1 billion last year.

SeaWorld, with 4.8 million visitors in 2015, up from 4.7 million in 2014, is Central Florida’s No. 7 tourist attraction, behind rivals Walt Disney World’s four local theme parks and Universal Orlando Resorts’ two local theme parks.

SeaWorld Orlando got a new president on Jan. 16, with Jim Dean taking the helm following the retirement of Donnie Mills.

SeaWorld’s new strategy likely will help boost Orlando’s $60 billion tourism industry, which draws roughly 66 million visitors each year.

Go here for more details on SeaWorld's new festival. And see the slideshow for a look inside Disney's Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.

So, basically -- Sea World is going to sponsor a brand new festival called the Seven Seas Festival -- which is modeled after Disney's Epcot's Food and Wine. Plus, they are pandering to locals and exploring upsells!

Great job, Sea World!!!

Daveeeeed

Sea World Orlando just banned a guest from their park for mourning Tilikum with a snarky sign and 33 roses. Good for them, I would have banned her too!

I do believe she meant well, however her message was to incite -- and that's why she is banned. I'm sure they will reverse it after a couple of years with no further incidents.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...ar-driver-banned-seaworld-20170123-story.html

Someone here mentioned that Sea World needs it's own on site hotel(s) and I totally agree. And, an underwater themed land like Atlantis or something should do the trick.

And, Sea World is borrowing a few tricks from Disney this year and I think it's a good thing!

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...are-3-ways-seaworld-plans-to-copy-disney.html

So, basically -- Sea World is going to sponsor a brand new festival called the Seven Seas Festival -- which is modeled after Disney's Epcot's Food and Wine. Plus, they are pandering to locals and exploring upsells!

Great job, Sea World!!!
From knowing Joel Manby personally, I can say that SeaWorld gets a bad rep. What the company did in the 80's is completely different from what they do today.

Angel Ariel

Sea World is laying off hundreds of workers to save only $40 Million dollars -- when it could easily be offset and remedied by offering creative upsells. Sea World is taking the easy way out to offset expenses. So yes, upsell versus layoff is appropriate for this poll.

Nothing Sea World has been doing the last few years is taking the "easy" way out. There is no easy way out for them. In order for upsells to work, you need attendance - something Sea World has been hemorrhaging since Blackfish came out.

Daveeeeed

Nothing Sea World has been doing the last few years is taking the "easy" way out. There is no easy way out for them. In order for upsells to work, you need attendance - something Sea World has been hemorrhaging since Blackfish came out.
Blackfish was part of it, but PETA etc. is just a vocal minority.

The main problem is that SeaWorld and Universal used to take a day out of a Disney vacation while now Universal is about to truly become a vacation destination in itself.

SeaWorld's failure was not reacting to Potter.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer

Great job, Sea World!!!

What are you talking about, they have festivals and events like this every year. This is just a face lift, it was previously known as Bands, Brew, and BBQ. They've also had a food and wine festival at their Busch Gardens Tampa park for years now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom