POLL: Which do you prefer? Upsells or layoffs

Which do you prefer?

• Upsells. It doesn't bother me because I don't have to buy them.

Votes: 34 79.1%
  • Layoffs. Parks should layoff workers instead offering optional upsells that I don't have to buy.

Votes: 9 20.9%

• Total voters

Siren

Original Poster
Sea World just announced yesterday that they are laying off hundreds of workers to save only $40 Million dollars. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-seaworld-layoffs-20161206-story.html
600x338

Ironic, given that Sea World just opened a brand new state of the art roller coaster called Mako and announced plans for another new attraction. Everyone talks about wanting "new rides" but there is more to theme parks than just rides.

I always see people praising Sea World and claiming that it is a better value -- but, the park is dying.

And, all the experts say this is so bizarre because all of the other theme parks are booming right now.

Also, Universal has filed a patent to use drones and Magic Bands called Tapu Tapu bands at Volcano Bay. http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/...l-seeks-to-use-drones-in-shows-wearables.html

There are many people who claim to know so much about business and constantly criticize Disney's business practices but really don't know anything. And, this is the proof.

Siren

Original Poster
This is really a poll? Look, we can complain about the upsells and how ridiculous they are. But come on, upsell vs. layoff? You've got to be kidding.

Sea World is laying off hundreds of workers to save only $40 Million dollars -- when it could easily be offset and remedied by offering creative upsells. Sea World is taking the easy way out to offset expenses. So yes, upsell versus layoff is appropriate for this poll.

No one likes upsells but it is not fair to criticize Disney for attempting to find creative ways to increase profits and their bottom line.

It's silly to think these are the two only options, especially when the company is profitable.
No, it really isn't. What other option is there? Other than to artificially increase admission prices. At least, Disney is offering something tangible with upsells.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Isn't the issue with Sea World tanking (no pun intended) attendance though? Ever since the Blackfish documentary, people (well, some people) seem to have developed a moral objection to supporting the chain (especially the Sea World parks) which I believe has resulted in a pretty dramatic drop in attendance for the chain. For most amusement parks, there is an ideal ratio guests to employees and if guest numbers are down by 5-10% (I'm not sure of the actual numbers), it would only make sense to reduce staffing by similar amounts. According to their FAQ page (https://seaworld.org/en/animal-info/ask-shamu/faq/), in 2012 they employed more than 21,000 people across all of their properties. A loss of 300 people would be just ~1.5% of their 2012 employment levels which doesn't seem that unreasonable given the slumping attendance. While it's never fun to see companies downsize, it doesn't make sense keeping people on the payroll if they don't have enough business to warrant the extra help.

Disney (and many other parks for that matter) are simply trying to get more dollars for every guest that enters the park and that's why these up-charges have become so popular at amusement parks across the country (Disney is just late to the game).

JohnD

Sea World is laying off hundreds of workers to save only $40 Million dollars -- when it could easily be offset and remedied by offering creative upsells. Sea World is taking the easy way out to offset expenses. So yes, upsell versus layoff is appropriate for this poll.

No one likes upsells but it is not fair to criticize Disney for attempting to find creative ways to increase profits and their bottom line.

No, it really isn't. What other option is there? Other than to artificially increase admission prices. At least, Disney is offering something tangible with upsells.

"Layoffs. Disney should layoff workers instead offering optional upsells that I don't have to buy."

Really? I don't want to be bothered with an opt-in upsell so vote to lay off workers instead. I'm glad you don't work in WDW management.

Jon81uk

Also coming back to attendance, Disney's issue is some of their parks have too many people attending. Disney would rather have less guests in the Magic Kingdom, spending more money.

SeaWorld is getting fewer guests (thanks to some protestors) but are managing to get them to spend a little more and they are working on changing their parks and the guests who attend. The new rides have nothing to do with it, they are SeaWorld ensuring that the park continues to ave a future, short-term gains are less relevant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom