New Star Wars half at WDW announced

Texas84

According to Martin the goal for WDW Star Wars Land is Fall 2019. So I expect the Dark Side 5th anniversary run to be through the new land Spring 2020.

(Check my math)

NormC

I would like to do the Dark Side challenge. Why is it $25 more than doing the 10K and Half separately? Also why is it that if only the 10K is currently sold out that all the commemorative collectibles are sold out already?

dreamfinder

I would like to do the Dark Side challenge. Why is it $25 more than doing the 10K and Half separately? Also why is it that if only the 10K is currently sold out that all the commemorative collectibles are sold out already?

The challenges cost more because you get an extra medal, and shirt. So that $25 is paying for your 3rd medal, plus your 3rd tech shirt.

RE the collectibles, they only make/presell so many. If they are only trying to presell 250 items, and 10,000 have already registered (even if there are still 5,000 slots left) odds are it will sell out. Especially with how crazy the merch area/lines can be, getting those items in advance can be very helpful to make sure you get them. Keep in mind that some of the items (mostly the pins) are made in a LE run, so they want/need to hold some back for the expo. runDisney still has a long way to go on merch, they keep slowly improving it, but things like this just show how far they have to go.

NormC

Thanks. I have to check my schedule and see if I can do this. My daughter is doing the Pricess 5K in Feb with her grandmother but not sure if I can go to Disney solo for a running event. My other daughter may want to go and there is always the wife, lol.

dreamfinder

once a race is sold out, is it sold out for good? I really want to do the 10k..

Yes and no. Check the race tracker here -> http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/rundisney-race-availability-tracker.912442/ I do my best to update availability at least once a day. You may notice that some recent races have flipped back and forth several times since initially opening. May be from charities returning un-used bibs, may be from people switching to other events for medical reasons, not really sure. But the 10ks are tough, as a large chunk of the bibs ends up being allocated to the challenge runners. So anywhere from 50-75% of the bibs are spoken for before registration even opens. They may split challenge bibs up to the individual races as the event gets closer, but I wouldn't count on it.

If you absolutely must do this particular 10k, and can't chance not getting in (need to plan travel for instance) your best bet would be to look into charities and travel organizers. A charity entry for the 10k would probably require about $600 fundraising minimum (your entry fee usually counts towards that total), while the travel organizers will usually require a minimum vacation package, say 2 nights + tickets. (Will vary by agency). Depends on your needs as to which would be better. Full details on the charities and travel agencies are on the event page on the runDisney website.

Mad Stitch

2017 Medals
CzGjkLuXUAIRXar.jpg:large

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Just realized that my 14 mile training run for Dark Side Half is the Sunday we will be on the SW cruise. Will probably switch to the previous Sunday since we won't be back until tax day and I don't think I want to run 14 miles 7 days before I run 22.4...... Or I run 14 miles around the ship, since that Sunday is a day at sea....nah.....

LizaMarie89

I'm running this as my very first half marathon. I've wanted to run a Disney Race since I was in High School. My biggest fear? Getting swept.

I just started my training this week and I'm nervous and excited. I am aiming to finish in three hours but I will be content to cross that finish line. Any tips for a first time rundisney runner?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm running this as my very first half marathon. I've wanted to run a Disney Race since I was in High School. My biggest fear? Getting swept.

I just started my training this week and I'm nervous and excited. I am aiming to finish in three hours but I will be content to cross that finish line. Any tips for a first time rundisney runner?

Think positive, you can do it!

As long as you can maintain the 16 minute mile pace - a brisk walk - you'll be fine. But make sure you pace yourself - there's nothing wrong with taking walking breaks. You'll be surprised at the number of people who walk the entire race. And start out slow - brisk walk - for the first few minutes - you will spend at least 30 minutes waiting in your corral to start. Make sure you're hydrated, but not overhydrated - the first bathroom after you leave the starting point isn't until you enter a park. If you're thinking of wearing a costume., make sure it meets the costume requirements. And wear it during one of your training runs - the Half isn't the time to find out your costume will be uncomfortable to run in. Make sure to wear comfortable clothing to prevent chafing - Body Glide is great for those sensitive areas. Have a great Playlist, songs with a variety of tempos to help your pacing and keep you inspired and motivated to make those last few miles. There will be many photo opportunities , but be careful - you don't want to end up getting swept because you stood in line too long get a picture with Vader.

But most important- enjoy yourself! It's a fun run and some of the costumes runners wear are really cool. I did the 10k last year - upgrading to the Half this year. There was a group of runners dressed up as Storm Trooper fairies- yes, storm troopers with wings. Awesome!

Good luck!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@LizaMarie89 - the above post is full of great advice. You'll make it - I finished the DLP half (my first) after nursing an injury for 8 out of my 18 week training plan; I only was able to restart running 4 weeks before the half. About a third of the way into the race, I felt like I would re-injure myself if I kept to a run, so I looked at the time and decided I could probably finish without being swept if I just kept to a fast walk - and I was right . I finished my very first half on the day before my 50th . Now I'm training for a 10 km in May and going to do the DLP half again this September (hopefully with a bit more running involved!). I remember during the DLP half someone nearby me chanting like Dory "just keep moving, just keep moving" - do that and you're sure to finish

Texas84

Got a training plan? Jeff Galloway run/walk is great if you're a beginner. I use Hal Higdon's plans. Oh, and show up early. You don't want to stress out if you're running late.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom