Doctor Strange

Animaniac93-98

Alamo theaters will throw them out :)

No Alamo in Canada, or anything besides Cineplex really since they own around 80%+ of screens across the country. The rest are either independent chains showing second run/indie stuff or the poor quality Rainbow Cinemas (that's slowly dying).

You and others are lucky to have different brands to choose from to see a movie.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Going to the Alamo in about an hour. I'm spoiled, I have literally not seen a movie because the Alamo was not showing it. My kids are both Alamo trained. I don't even bother with other theaters.

Animaniac93-98

What city do you live in? Generally I'm pretty happy with Cineplex as brand. But certainly different theatres draw in teens versus some others.

I find the Disneyland crowds way more disruptive than a typical night at the movies. I think Disneyland needs to start encouraging people to shut up during rides (and the haunted mansion pre show) and keep their phones away on dark rides.

I've had good luck in the past with VIP if you are lucky enough to be in one of their catchments.

Where I went to see Doctor Strange can be pretty hit or miss with crowds. I find it's not even a teen thing, sometimes it's just anyone who goes there. I chose the location because it still had one 2D showing a day. I've never had an issue with VIP (except one time where I think someone was translating the movie for the person sitting next to them). The fact that the price is so high and people treat it as a "night out" helps to weed out a certain crowd. Cineplex as a brand and service is fine, but in this case I was one against many who didn't know how to stop the stupid.

Phones on dark rides or any kind of flashing light drives me insane. Talking during rides and pre-shows has so far *knock on wood* not been problem for me. I suggest the American parks take the approach of calling out people during the ride by commenting over the PA system like I heard once at DLP. It kills the show for a moment, but helps to discourage the behaviour during the rest of the ride. Maybe more multi-language warnings before the ride starts?

2351metalcloud

It looks like we have an answer as to why they dropped the Tibetan character -

MINEFIELD: To avoid the wrath of the Chinese, Hollywood is changing a Tibetan man into a European woman, to be played by actress Tilda Swinton, in the film adaptation of 'Dr. Strange.'

http://wtop.com/movies/2016/04/movie-doctor-strange-turns-tibetan-man-into-european-woman/

While the Ancient One was written in the comic book as Tibetan, “if you acknowledge that Tibet is a place and that he’s Tibetan, you risk alienating 1 billion people,” screenwriter C. Robert Cargill said in a podcast interview with the Texas-based DoubleToasted.com.

There was, Cargill said, a risk of “the Chinese government going, ‘Hey, you know one of the biggest film-watching countries in the world? We’re not going to show your movie because you decided to get political.'”

I'm not sure what Marvel's real motivations were for making the Ancient One a European who has been alive for hundreds of years, perhaps it really is completely or partially what was said in that quote, but it brought an interesting idea to mind. Given, that Disney has somewhat of a tendency to try to emulate things Universal Studios does for some reason (Hollywood Studios and Pandora and Star Wars areas being kind of like the Harry Potter areas), making the Ancient One an old European with magical powers could give a lot of fodder for an area that could be similar to the Harry Potter area in Orlando.

Having people with magical powers or performing magic in Europe or places that seem reminiscent some areas of Europe could seem kind of like is seen in the Harry Potter movies and books. Not much is shown of the London Sanctum in the Dr Strange movie and it is destroyed apparently in the movie. Very little is said about the Ancient One's past in the movie. So, this still allows much room for ideas about this.

This all provides an interesting opportunity for attractions that could be built having to do with Marvel stories in Orlando because it seems that Dr. Strange is allowed to appear in Orlando. It also provides something interesting to Disneyland Paris because Dr. Strange is Celtic and a sanctum she might reasonably be thought to have spent significant time in this London Sanctum. A sizable number of the people who attend Disneyland Paris are from Western Europe and the UK specifically.

Apparently, Tilda Swinton has expressed to news organizations that she has interest in a movie involving the Ancient One that takes place before Dr. Strange. I don't think attractions would need to have a movie relating closely to what appears in the attractions in order to be interesting, but it seems like recently that this is something that Disney often likes to have for new attractions being built.

Additionally, there are some other Marvel comics that take place centuries before the present in Europe and elsewhere that could be part of the same 'universe' as these attractions and movies based on European Ancient One ideas. Some of those I think would be allowed to appear in Orlando while others wouldn't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom