The Living Seas and Seas w/ Nemo Questions

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
I am fascinated by the original WDW attractions and enjoy learning about them and comparing them to their replacements. I never did visit the Living Seas until it had been redesigned as The Seas with Nemo and Friends, so I'd just like to ask a few questions for those 'in the know'.

1. In looking at ride layouts online, it appears that the omnimover Nemo ride is much longer than the original seacabs ride. Is this the case, and if so, does the current ride go through an area that used to house the hydrolators and theater?

2. Is most of the new ride through dry show scenes and not in the main tank or underwater at all?

3. When the Nemo ride is obviously in the main tank (after the EAC scene), it takes about a minute or so to travel to the unload area. Video I've seen online showed the seacabs taking about 2 minutes. Did the seascabs take a different route, or were they simply travelling more slowly?

4. Were there more fish, etc. in the tanks years ago, or this this an illusion based on the Youtube videos I've watched of the former ride versus the Nemo version?

Thanks for your help with my curiosity. :)

Rob562

I am fascinated by the original WDW attractions and enjoy learning about them and comparing them to their replacements. I never did visit the Living Seas until it had been redesigned as The Seas with Nemo and Friends, so I'd just like to ask a few questions for those 'in the know'.

1. In looking at ride layouts online, it appears that the omnimover Nemo ride is much longer than the original seacabs ride. Is this the case, and if so, does the current ride go through an area that used to house the hydrolators and theater?

2. Is most of the new ride through dry show scenes and not in the main tank or underwater at all?

3. When the Nemo ride is obviously in the main tank (after the EAC scene), it takes about a minute or so to travel to the unload area. Video I've seen online showed the seacabs taking about 2 minutes. Did the seascabs take a different route, or were they simply travelling more slowly?

4. Were there more fish, etc. in the tanks years ago, or this this an illusion based on the Youtube videos I've watched of the former ride versus the Nemo version?

Thanks for your help with my curiosity. :)

And for those who don't have the time to watch Martin's vid (though I *highly* recommend it, as well as all his others):

1. The queue and first part of the ride go through what used to be the first pre-show holding room, the right-hand pre-show theater and the hydrolator area. The left-hand pre-show theater is where Turtle Talk is now.

2. Most of the current ride does not take place in the tank.

3. The EAC scene is actually within the tank (or at least mostly is). It's located in the tunnel that connects the building to the central tank viewing structure. Originally this tunnel had windows on both sides to see out into the tank, but they're now covered over from inside (though you can still see the windows from the viewing platform upstairs). The original seacabs were pretty much Load, left turn into the tunnel, tunnel, 3/4 circle around the central room, and then Unload.

4. Not sure.

-Rob

smw

Now you've got me missing the original. That preshow film, when it pans from the drops in the puddle to the shot of the sea... amazing.

janoimagine

The VO was great too ... "Try to imagine." ... "We welcome you to the Living Seas ... We welcome you to Sea Base Alpha." I loved that film. Its a shame to me it has to be dumbed down for kids today by adding cartoon characters, I was a kid when I first went on it and loved it.

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for that info Rob.

And, it's always worth taking the time to watch any of Martin's Vids in their entirety. :)

Rob562

Hmmm... Not sure what's playing in there now, but the original Living Seas background music was written specifically for the pavilion.

-Rob

Tom Morrow

To answer question number 4: I'm sure there were probably more fish in the tank back then, but a common misconception today is that the take is "nearly empty" but this is hardly the truth! Try to be there for a fish feed. All the fish appear, and there are a LOT. The feeding times are posted in Seabase upstairs. Also, many people only stop to look out the tank windows directly adjacent to the Nemo unload. This area is a portion of the main tank reserved for dolphins, so you won't see many (or any) fish in this part. You have to venture upstairs to see them all.

Also, the current music loop is all stuff from Finding Nemo, but it fits very well and is almost just as ambient as the original Living Seas music.

dreamscometrue

Original Poster
To answer question number 4: I'm sure there were probably more fish in the tank back then, but a common misconception today is that the take is "nearly empty" but this is hardly the truth! Try to be there for a fish feed. All the fish appear, and there are a LOT. The feeding times are posted in Seabase upstairs. Also, many people only stop to look out the tank windows directly adjacent to the Nemo unload. This area is a portion of the main tank reserved for dolphins, so you won't see many (or any) fish in this part. You have to venture upstairs to see them all.

Thanks for the response. I had no idea about the bolded part. I am one of those people who look at the tank windows there...no wonder I never saw many fish. :)

Rob562

I don't think the fish are totally barred from going into the section where the dolphin are, but there's a wall of bubbles where the fence is between the two sections, and I believe that most of the fish naturally avoid the bubbles. (There may also be plexiglass in the fence, but I don't think there is)

But occasionally you'll see a lone daring fish who's ventured over. (Sounds like the plot for the next Finding Nemo film...)

-Rob

Johnny Three-hats

I love that album, but it's definitely not being used in EPCOT or Living Seas.
I can't believe anyone still remembers that Sting made soundtracks for IMAX movies. I got my copy of their Dolphins soundtrack sitting on my desk here and I saw the movie back at the Mugar Omni Theater over the summer. Ah, nostalgia.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom