The Newsroom

tcool123

Original Poster
2017logo-png.178718

May I be the first, but not the last to welcome you to the Newsroom located on the Imagineering forum. We are just over a year old, and we hope to continue to inform the Imagineering community of WDWMagic for many more years. Now you may be wondering what information do we give out? Well the Imagineering Newsletter is used to inform the community of all the happenings here on the forums. As you continue through this post you will encounter the Newsletter Archives. There you will be able to find past newsletters.

2015 TAFI Newsletters:
Announcement
March 1st, 2015
March 16th, 2015
March 31st, 2015
April 26th, 2015
October 23rd, 2015
October 30th, 2015
November 6th, 2015
November 13th, 2015
November 20th, 2015
November 27th, 2015
December 5th, 2015
December 11th, 2015
December 18th, 2015
December 23rd, 2015

2016 TAFI Newsletters:
January 3rd, 2016
January 17th, 2016
January 24th, 2016
February 3rd, 2016
February 7th, 2016
February 14th, 2016
February 28th, 2016

2016 Imagineering Newsletter:
June 26th, 2016
August 21st, 2016
September 5th, 2016
November 27th, 2016
December 4th, 2016

2017 Imagineering Newsletter:
January 9th, 2017
January 29th, 2017

Last edited:

tcool123

Original Poster
hatlogo_zpscwxatvx7.png

Imagineering Newsletter
June 26, 2016

Introduction
Greetings everyone to this ever exciting newsletter, and welcome to this weekend's Newsletter. In this Newsletter we'll celebrate the return of the newsletter, and of course the Imagineering forum.

Imagineering Events

The House Cup - An Imagineering Competition

HouseCup_zpskvhdsoke.png

As this competition comes to a close, we can expect Year 7 the final year at Hogwarts to be a great, and enjoyable time for many. Students are tasked to design a new hotel in the Epcot Resort Area. While other minichallenges have arrived. The first of which is the Battle of Hogwarts, in this event students can duel each other in a challenge that brings out their creative side. All four of the houses eagerly jumped on the opportunity to duel each other, and now we must wait and see who wins the duels. The second minichallenge is the Battle of the Seven Potters in which one person per house is allowed to come up with seven ways to refurb Tom Sawyer Island. The final minichallenge is Gringotts Bank of Challenges. With all the minichallenges suggested by players of the House Cup they had to be stored somewhere, right? Well after 7 years there's still some left, and now is the time to rack up the points for their house as 160 points are up for grabs if a house is willing to do 40 different submissions. Year 7 ends on June 28th at 11:59 PM EST. Go Ravenclaw!

So, You Want to Be an Imagineer : Get a Clue

capture-png.129631

This week the community saw the start of a new Imagineering competition, So, You Want to Be an Imagineer : Get a Clue, which is the thirteenth season of the competition. There are three teams of 6; those teams are known as: Gracey, Hightower, and Mystic. The first project is known as Dark Clouds, Blue Skies. Here teams are tasked with creating a brand new E-Ticket based off a modern horror franchise. This delightfully frightful project is due Sunday, July 3rd at 11:59 PM EST.

The Sole Imagineer

8036977_orig_zps3ebc2bce.png~original

After a thrilling conclusion in Season 2, where @Flippin'Flounder was crowned as the second sole imagineer, @RMichael21 gave us an update on the future of the series. He officially announced that Season 3 was cancelled for the Summer of 2017. This cancellation was for @RMichael21 to be able to make the third season of The Sole Imagineer even more exciting than the last. In its place, @RMichael21 has announced a new competition based on The Amazing Race.

Individual Spotlight

DSC_9224%20as%20Smart%20Object-1-M.jpg

Known for his great ideas ever since entering the Imagineering world, @DisneyManOne grants us permission to see into his mind, and see what he has in store for Walt Disney World. To start off the week DMO wrapped up Fantasyland with an all new subarea! In the newly added Gardens of Imagination guests fall down the rabbit hole, and enter Wonderland. If chasing rabbits isn't your thing maybe you'll chase a snowman into the kingdom of Arrendelle. Where guests can ride Frozen Ever After, or go ice skating the woods of Arrendelle among other things. In the final part of this expansion guests can visit either a newly created meet and greet area, or Storyteller's Nook home to the productions of a Frozen, Tangled, Beauty and the Beast, and Hercules hosted by Mr. Smythe and Mr. Jones.

To wrap up the lands in Magic Kingdom there's Tomorrowland. Here in Tomorrowland guests are transported to a deco-tech future set in 2071. Guests will see the return of Alien Encounter, Timekeeper, and Dreamflight, while having new experiences such as a whole new Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, and a revival of the concept of Pectu's Intergalactic Revue.

With all the excitment surrounding this project, you must be wondering at times what is @DisneyManOne thinking. Well to (hopefully) answer that question, I was able to snag an interview with @DisneyManOne .

1. This isn't the first time you have done a Walt Disney World based project, what sets The Next Chapter apart from your other iterations of these types of projects?
Well, I was heavily inspired by @MANEATINGWREATH's excellent Disneyland Australia dream resort thread, and so I'm going even more in-depth than I have before. Some things have changed from my "New Generation" threads, some remain the same. But I'm going into this with fresh new eyes.

2. Do you plan on sticking to the four parks of Walt Disney World, or do you plan to go over everything the resort has to offer?
I don't plan to head out of the parks much, but I definitely plan to go over changes in transportation, showcasing a potential replacement/re-birth of Discovery Island and even a new resort TV loop...or rather, the return of an old favorite of mine.

3. What are you plans for the theme parks at the resort, besides the Magic Kingdom; do you have plans for the mystical fifth gate?
I plan to restore EPCOT Center to its original glory, while still keeping some of the more recent changes intact, I plan to expand Pixar Place at Disney's Hollywood Studios, as well as give Animation Courtyard a breath of new life and I plan to give Animal Kingdom some new lands highlighting more exotic animals. As for a fifth park, I'm not sure whether or not I'll talk about one. Given the massive budget cuts we got due to Shanghai, I think building another park would cause even more problems.

4. Do you have even ideas you can sure with us? Such as a new ride, store, land, etc.
Well, regarding ideas for WDW: The Next Chapter, I really don't want to spoil anything, so I'll just leave those ideas as a surprise. But, I've been thinking about a few ideas outside of that thread, so I'll share them with you. I've been thinking about a few ideas for Disneyland in California: most notably, over-hauling Tomorrowland with a new, unifying theme and possibly a new attraction in Fantasyland replacing the Motor Boat Cruise area.

Well there you have it folks the interview of the month with @DisneyManOne !

Brain Power!

1f37b4_17bef3bf2dd645099db78ce11cbb0073.jpg

Changes if You Were an Imagineer by @Adam Snider
During the week we saw many great ideas come from here. Some of those ideas include a replacement of DisneyQuest with a location that has digital recreations of extinct attractions. Anyone up for a spin on Digital Superstar Limo? The most popular trend is fixing Epcot from reopening the Wonders of Life Pavilion to fixing Frozen Ever After. There was even a South Korea Pavilion constructed in World Showcase. The oppurtinites are endless, and since this is open to anyone, you can still post your ideas for changes at Walt Disney World Resort.

Now remember anyone and everyone can contribute to Brainstorming threads there are no right or wrongs.

Conclusion

I hope everyone had a fun time reading along. See you all next week where we will see the end of The House Cup, and the return of a rather fun element of the Newsletter! Until then stay imagineery everyone!

tcool123

Original Poster
hatlogo_zpscwxatvx7.png

Imagineering Newsletter
August 21, 2016

Introduction
Greetings everyone to this ever exciting newsletter, and welcome to this weekend's Newsletter. In this Newsletter we'll celebrate one of the most depressing events that are sure to happen once a year; the end of Summer. It's okay to cry if you must :cry:

Summer Wrap Up

The House Cup - An Imagineering Competition

HouseCup_zpskvhdsoke.png

The House Cup has left a large impact in the Imagineering community. In recent memory it has had the most members participating in a competition, and its discussion thread is the most replied to thread in this part of the forums. Beating out former two year champion The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 2, The House Cup Discussion Thread was able to garner over 6,000 replies beating out the Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 2 Discussion thread by more than 2,000 messages (thank you Applebees!) However the record breaking doesn't stop there, The House Cup itself was the busiest competition on this forum seeing close to a thousand replies beating former three year champion, Around the World in 30 Days by around 600 posts! Now onto the contest itself, and not the records it broke.

Year 7 gave out a massive amount of content. There was nine duel submissions, three main challenge submissions, and sixty-two mini challenge submissions! The winners of the House Cup were the Hufflepuff House with 1,764 points. The Slytherin House finished with 999 points, placing fourth. The Ravenclaw House finished with 1,551 points placing third. The last house, Gryffindor finished with 1,648 points placing second. The House Cup was a great way to kick off the summer here at the Imagineering Forum, and was a great Summer competition, no we wait on So, You Want to Be an Imagineer : Get a Clue to wrap up the Summer season here at the Imagineering forum.

Imagineering Events

So, You Want to Be an Imagineer : Get a Clue

Its been a while, but lets welcome the Walking Boats. The joint article of the Walking Dead and the Jungle Cruise. First is The Riding Dead, where teams must choose a possible theme of five. Those themes being The Governor, Merle Dixon, Negan, Terminus, and Alpha. The requirements were one E-Ticket, one C-Ticket Flat, one restaurant and one store. @Basketbuddy101 was granted the power of MVP from @FigmentPigments , but plot twist @Basketbuddy101 resigned! Becoming the eight person to be out of the competition. The teams merged into Team Chandler, and @FigmentPigments got the power of Diamond MVP back, and @spacemt354 and @mickeyfan5534 still have there own MVP powers.

Team Hightower presented their Walking Dead proposal with the Governor as the theme. Their E-Ticket was the Prison Lockdown as guests were brought into a 3D shooter attraction replacing Men in Black at Universal Orlando. Here guests must fight off Walkers while simultaneously being attacked by the Governor and his men. The C-Ticket is Daryl Dixon's Jeep Spin, a whip ride themed to the said character and various jeeps, that move as they avoid various walkers. Providing a eatery, is Carl's Reef, and the must to go shopping locale for Walking Dead fanatics is definitely The Guard Lounge.

Team Mystic on the other hand used the Terminus theme, but kept the shooter attraction premise, and also replaced Men in Black. Their E-Ticket saw guests enter the mysterious Terminus, and must fight off the Walkers that are invading this sanctuary. This is a wild ride throughout Terminus were various foes from walkers to survivors, and an epic finale involving fire, and those mentioned earlier in this sentence. The C-Ticket is The Walking Dead: Walker Attack using technology found at Buzz Lightyear's Astroblasters guests are tasked with defending this safe haven from oncoming walkers. Next door to Terminus is Mary's Kitchen where guests are invited for a table service meal which has an interesting menu to say the least. Finally there's Supply Run, and it is the grand shop for all things Walking Dead.

Now onto Skip R' Treat! Here Team Chandler is tasked with making a Halloween overlay for the classic Jungle Cruise attraction at Walt Disney World. @FigmentPigments gave the key to Walt's Vault to @IAmNotAHufflepuff . Now it is time to venture on the Jungle TERROR Cruise! This is not for those who are allergic to the following things: plastic, boats, water, humidity, humiliation, puns, humor, mamas that chacha, and most importantly plants. Yes there's a lot of plants on this ride, there's that one, this one, the one up there, and down there. See very dangerous, oh and there's also monsters like the La Sachamama, Mokèlé-Mbèmbé, Set, and elephants. Fear the elephants! :coldfeet:

Imagineering Weekends: The Price is Right - Imagineer Edition!

the-price-is-right-public-relations.gif

Started on Thursday by @spacemt354 we see The Price is Right: Disney Numbers Edition. Where you experience various questions ranging from the height of attractions, to attraction capacities, but most importantly how many scoops of ice cream are in a Kitchen Sink. I'll give you all a hint, it's more than one scoop ;). Over the weekend we learnt that Cinderella Castle's height depends on where you measure from, there was more than one Autopia at Disneyland, and that the Viewliner is/was a thing? I've never heard of it personally, but some have obviously because they answered the question. That is just of the examples of the Imagineering Weekend gameshows, but there are many more gameshows, and many more events too! In fact another Imagineering Weekend event is next is this newsletter!

Imagineering Weekends: Whose Park is it Anyways?

image-jpg.55773

The madness continues this weekend, as this Imagineering Weekend favorite continues to up its improv game! It started this week with the by now needed Spongebob reference. After crossing the Spongebob references we traveled to our educational portion of the weekend focusing on geometry. Here we named random shapes, and learned the true meaning of friendship by visiting Applebee's. Also Bojangles made an appearance, you haven't heard of that place well neither have I :p. We soon got a first look at the new Alderaan attraction . To cap thingsoff we learnt of all the Finns! The traitor, the adventurer, the shark's, the ending. Wait I was wrong we continue as we get ready for Elmer Hunting Season. To cap things off @S.P.E.W taught us a bit of Wizarding World information. However there's always more happening

Individual Spotlight

ZZ26345682.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy : Mission Breakout at Walt Disney World by @Magic Feather

Guardians of the Galaxy as of late has been plaguing many attractions at Walt Disney Disney World as of late. From rumors of replacing the Tower of Terror to threatening the thematic integrity of Epcot, but @Magic Feather has found a solution to this problem. He plans to remove the unbeloved Stitch's Great Escape, and replace it with a brand new Guardians of the Galaxy attraction inspired by the recently announced Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout. Guests are invited to the Tomorrowland Expo Center now home to The Collector's Collection from Nowhere. Guests will be able to see the Collector's greatest objects yet; the Guardians of the Galaxy. However someone is missing, that someone is Rocket who has been moved to solitary confinement. Guests enter Rocket's cell, and hilarious hijinks ensue, as the Gaurdians attempt to not only break Rocket out, but you as well!

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe this is your first Imagineering Project? Well I must say it was a great attraction, but I need to ask how did you come up with the idea of using the Guardians of the Galaxy in this manner?
Yes, this is my first imagineering project (or at least posted one). I have been an armchair imagineer for quite a while, I just never got to posting, or joining this side of the forums. My planning for this ride started came about when the Guardians Tower rumors started coming out, and (like everyone else) I was scared. So to help me out internally, I thought "where could I put this IP that Disney wants in the parks without (entirely) compromising the integrity of an area?" And then I immediately thought of Tomorowland, and subsequently SGE.
I knew that present day TDO would not approve a total gut of the building, so I tried to fit the creative challenge of how to put in the Guardians in the space with minimal changes.

2. We saw in your first post that you mentioned an updated look to the Monsters Inc Laugh Floor sign, is this Gaurdians of the Galaxy attraction part of something bigger? Perhaps a revamp of the Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland?
This is a part of a makeover of the front half of Tommorowland. So anything up to Merchant of Venus and Buzz would be redone as a part of this project. The area would be reviewing a classy (or should I say glassy) yet industrial look. The current metal shavings would remain, however, the rocks would be removed, and curved glass would insulate the people mover (only the front portion) and a desperate piece would insulate the lower Guardians Queue and path to the terrace. The current building that Monsters Inc resides in would be called the Tommorowland Light and Power Co. (With the current building of that name becoming a modified version of the new Wreck It - Ralph Attraction(more on that later)) And the current Stitch's Great Escape building becoming the Tommorowland Expo Center.

3. With the new rumors of the Wreck It - Ralph replacement of Stitch's Great Escape, how would this effect your plans for this Gaurdians of the galaxy ride?
As mentioned earlier, the Wreck It - Ralph ride would either be relocated to Light and Power, or this Guardians of the Galaxy Ride would with a slightly different layout. Having knowledge of the plans, I know that (with modifications and no animatronics sans queue) a bit more of a thrilling version of this attraction could be a layover of that Wreck It - Ralph attraction.

4. Now if I may be so bold, do you have any future armchair imagineer plans?
I have been compiling plans for a competition; very loosely based on the reality show Big Brother, that I am trying to see if the October to December time slot is open for. In addition to posting various portions of my preexisting Imagineering portfolio. And working on a few EPCOT and Studios projects that I can not wait to share.

Brain Power!

1f37b4_17bef3bf2dd645099db78ce11cbb0073.jpg

In an effort to get your brain all fired up for the upcoming school year why not participate in some Brainstorming? And a fun fact brainstorms are the only good storms, or at least I prefer it over rainstorms, snowstorms, hailstorms, and thunderstorms to just name a few.

League of Dreamers Brainstorming Thread by @DisneyManOne
The League of Dreamers is a Imagineering event that all can join in, and become a big happy family. Currently a brand new Tomrrowland is being brainstormed for a brand new Disneyand esque park. Tomorrowland so far is made up Space Mountain, Imagination, Adventures Through Inner Space, and a Treasure Planet Attraction.

Disneyland : A New Generation Open Brainstorming by @DisneyManOne
Started by @DisneyManOne in hopes of gathering ideas for a whole new generation of Disneyland. @MANEATINGWREATH shared his thoughts, and showed us that if there was a new generation of Disneyland currently standing attractions/stores/restaurants would have to be demolished or repurposed. With the biggest part of his insight being a Tomorrowland redo.@IAmNotAHufflepuff gave his insight, and with similar views of Tomorrowland, but suggested a makeover for Downtown Disney along with a third gate for the resort. @Disneylander suggested the bypass become a permanent themed part of the Disneyland, and more cast members at the turnstiles. @MANEATINGWREATH weighed in once more with needed infrastructure improvements for these ideas to come to fruition. Lastly @DisneyManOne showed off his intentions for a reworked Main Street Electrical Parade and his plans to rework Adventureland and Critter Country. This may sound a bit intimating, but don't be shy none of us bite so post any ideas you have to improve Disneyland here.

If I Could Improve Walt Disney World by @stitchcastle
This week @spacemt354 asks imagineers, if they could add a new Disney resort of any category be it Value to Deluxe, what would it be. Personally I think fourth All-Star could be fun, or another Florida themed hotel to act as a parallel to Old Key West and the Grand Flo. Perhaps Saint Augustine themed. Either way I'm there this topic will be a fun one, so don't miss out!

Now remember anyone and everyone can contribute to Brainstorming threads there are no right or wrongs.

Conclusion

I hope everyone had a fun time reading along, and if you shed a few tears to the departing summer its totally fine. See you all next time, but until then stay imagineery everyone!​

spacemt354

Chili's
hatlogo_zpscwxatvx7.png

Imagineering Newsletter

Welcome one and all the the Labor Day edition of the Imagineering Newsletter. With summer vacations wrapping up, school back in session, and the autumn breeze approaching, now is the best time to sit back, relax, and read this week's newsletter of the happenings around the Imagineer Forum

Imagineering Competitions Update

So, You Want to Be An Imagineer Season 13 - Get A Clue
13423835_1038375492924295_1551369101897456017_n.jpg

We have reached the final five of the re-boot in the long-awaited So, You Want to Be An Imagineer Season 13, hosted by @TheOriginalTiki and @JokersWild

Project 10 gave us the Haunt-Toon Mansion project where Team Chandler had to design a Haunted Mansion style attraction for a hypothetical ToonTown. This prompt was inspired by the Toon Town Tower Hotel project from So, You Want to Be An Imagineer, Season 8.

Which --- I have actually found! And as a special homage to the project, here it is in full:

The Toon Town Tower Hotel

Introduction

Even before this season started, when MEW posted that teaser about the All Stars working on an epic version of Toon Town and including non-Disney characters, one image has stood in my head as something that simply MUST make its way into that particular project...Droopy as a Tower of Terror bell-hop beckoning us aboard with a cautious "going up, sir?" It was the perfect starting point for what turned out to be a really fun, really original vision of the Tower of Terror. What I like so much about the idea of a Tower of Terror in Toon Town is that it's something that you wouldn't expect to find in Toon Town (a land that has for the last couple decades had a nasty reputation as a "kiddy" area) and also not something you'd expect to see a Tower of Terror themed after (when usually, ToTs are realistic to an extent and focus on ghosts and the twilight zone for their themes)...And yet...you have to think, it really is a pretty great marriage when it comes down to it. The idea of a large tower filled with crazy, unpredictable happenings inside. You don't know EXACTLY what's inside, all you know is that people are screaming their lungs out and crazy sounds are coming out of the tower from all directions. I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty "Toon Town" to me. And thus, with the Droopy bell-hop as kind of our starting point, the Toon Town Tower Hotel was born.

ToontownTowerHotel.jpg

Exterior

The Toon Town Tower will have a blue/pink/purple color tone going all the way up the tower. Near the top of the tower, of course, is the "Toon Town Tower Hotel" lettering. This lettering, however, more resembles multi-colored magnets on a fridge, though they are still fully functioning neon lights just like any Tower signage. Of course, some of the letters will be backwards, and might even be missing a couple letters here and there. As you get closer and closer to the tower, you can hear all the strange and goofy noises that are coming off from inside the tower (the sound effects will be turned up extra loud in the ride to achieve this specific effect) It's obvious that this is, first and foremost, a hotel for TOONS. Humans enter at their own risk. Essentially, the entrance to the Toon Town Tower really isn't all that different from the entrance to the DCA Tower, and the two of them have similar formations. There will be a Fastpass area off to the side (disguised as a luggage terminal), and just the tower sitting there, right inside of lavish black gates similar to DCA, except, like everything else...more...well, "Toony". You walk up to the entrance of the tower, check the wait times, and decide to just hit the stand-by line. After about 10 minutes of curving outside the building, you enter the hotel's lobby.

The Lobby

Upon entering the lobby, you can tell that it's CLEARLY filthy. In fact, this time around it is made ABUNDANTLY clear. There are cobwebs ALL OVER the lobby to the point of self-parody. In addition to cobwebs, you can see graffiti, broken chairs, and basically any sort of destruction you can think of present in this filthy mess of a room. As you round a corner to go into a library, you see a shadow of Granny frantically dusting off cobwebs and complaining about the awful state of the hotel.

The Library

As you enter the library, you take notice of all the many books on the shelf. Actually...because there's no film in this library (I kind of wanted to keep the contents of the actual tower a mystery in the queue and not lay the story out with a long prologue) the room itself will be a bit longer and will actually have you winding through a rather large library instead of just cramming into a small room to listen to Rod Serling talk for two minutes. Anyways, there's not really much to this scene, except EVERY book on the shelf will have some kind of self-referential humor to its title and it will be a really fun room for people who like to spot little details like that.

The Boiler Room

Going across the library, we then see the service elevator, which is over the top completely barricaded off, with police tape, boards and nails, the works. Obviously someone DOESN'T want us using the service elevator. So we round the corner and go into the boiler room to take the maintenance elevator up to our rooms...or wherever the hell we might be going. The boiler room is actually quiet similar, in terms of layout AND details, to any classic Boiler Room. The only difference is that, while usually the furnaces in this room only give off a slight creepy vibe that they have faces, these things full on are living, breathing Toon furnaces. Some of them talk to each other, a couple are sick and throw up embers, but they're all characters. There's about five of them in total throughout the boiler room. Anyways, the BR is set up as usual with three elevators loading on the first floor and three on the second floor.

Going up, Sir?

As you wait for your elevator to arrive, you notice the finger pointer indicating the number of floors above the elevator doorway. The counter on the floors is normal through the first nine, but from there on out, well...just look at the picture

framed204c.jpg

As the pointer starts coming down from the astronomically high top floor, you notice it starts to wobble. About midway through the long stretch of numbers, suddenly you hear a loud...*snap* from inside the elevator shaft and the elevator comes crashing down. As it crashes, you hear a bunch of noises of cartoon violence, afterward, you hear a *ding*, and the doors of the elevator slide open, emitting a light green fog/mist (think HM boarding area). You see that Droopy is your personal bell hop (this time present in the actual ride cabin as an on-board AA similar to Rex). After a quick bout of coughing, the dog promptly asks in his usual somber, depressed tone..."Going up, sir?" With that, you are admitted into the elevator for a ride into a hotel for Toons that you won't soon forget. As for the actual elevator shafts? Don't worry, they're basically identical to the ones we've become familiar with, except these shafts are COVERED with Toon graffiti. ("For a good time, call Allison Wonderland" stuff like that...) Moving on...So here's the basic layout of how each ride will go down. There's nine floors with show scenes in each elevator shaft. The scenes are sorted into three categories, "silly", which means the scenes are simply meant to be an enjoyable upbeat laugh, "story", which means the details of these scenes connect the dots to the actual plot line of the hotel (which will be gone over at the end of the project), and "homage" which means those scenes will essentially be playing tribute to specific subjects. Each time guests ride, they will experience ONE silly scene, ONE story scene, and ONE homage scene, in random order, followed by a drop sequence. This way, you will have to ride the ride A LOT of times in order to experience ALL the insanity that this hotel has to offer. And even when you do see all the show scenes, they're pretty much ALWAYS going to be in a random order, so it is pretty much 100% a new ride every time. Oh yeah, and midway through the ride (between the second and third show scenes) there's a flash of lightining, a burst of green fog, and Droopy disappears from the elevator. Don't worry, he'll be back.

One last note has to be made regarding the nature of the show scenes. I want to have as many physical sets within the tower as possible. There will be some projection animation showing some of the more elaborate effects, but most of the time, I want to try to keep it as PHYSICAL, yet cartoony, as possible. I've always believed that SCREENS are always, essentially, "lazy Imagineering" *shoots darting glance in Midway Mania's direction* so having said that, I want to rely on that kind of stuff as little as possible, while there will still be SOME implications where it will have to be used. Anyways, now that all the logistics are out of the way, why don't you say we actually tour this wacked out hotel!

"Silly" scenes

The three "silly" scenes are a close encounter with Gennie during one of his more...private moments, a fake-out involving a Jessica Rabbit, erm...kind of look-alike, similar to the movie, and a "Holy CRAP, we went WAAAY too high" scene with the Jetsons as a backdrop. We'll start with the Genie. The doors open up, and you see a large lamp just sitting in an empty closet like room. Steam is pouring out of the spout, and you can hear a water fountain. As you move closer to the lamp, an animation of Genie is projected onto the front. He is taking a shower and singing to himself. As you inch your way closer to him, the elevator accidently slightly moves the lamp, and Genie looks straight in our direction. After a couple seconds of shock, he then screams..."AAAAAAAH!!! A MAN!!!!" and proceeds to close the "curtain" of his lamp. The doors close, and we go to the next floor.

The Jessica fake out starts with the doors opening revealing Jessica Rabbit's silhouette against a wall. The elevator moves forward towards this alluring figure, but before long the shadow turns around and you find out that in reality, this silhouette belongs to a HIDEOUSLY grotesque Toon. The only problem is...she has the hots for you. She looks at you with beaming eyes and loudly exclaims "MY MAN!!" before rushing towards the elevator with exaggerated, terrifying kissy-lips. The doors close just as she is about to reach the elevator. Obviously this scene is based around the moment in the film where the same thing happens to Eddie.

The Jetsons scene begins with an extended climb up the tower (this scene is located on the very top floor of all shafts) The doors open, revealing the futuristic sky-city that the Jetsons inhabit. You see George Jetson in the background, going around in his hover-car (or whatever it is) and dropping off his family, who all fly down to their various locations. This scene is a mix of miniatures (the future city) and projections (the Jetsons and their ship/pods). Anyways, as I said before, the point of this scene is that you've OBVIOUSLY climbed too far up, so, with a cartoony sign that pops up reading "...Whoops!", the doors close and you drop down.

"Story" scenes

The three story scenes are a Scooby Doo send up in a hallway (with some details regarding the actual story), a trip into another dimension (which brings to light the nature of the hotel), and a battle between hotel staff and the unruly Toon guests of the top floors with a few DIP guns involved. The Scooby Doo scene starts with the doors opening themselves up to a long hallway with, of course, multiple doors on either side. You see a classic Scooby Doo monster messing with the elevator on the other side of the room. He turns around, notices you, and proceeds to hulk towards your elevator. Suddenly, you hear loud footsteps and Fred yelling "Hurry gang, I saw him go into this Hallway", and with that, the monster goes into a room, the Scooby gang pops up and looks around, going into another room, and from there it's the classic Scooby scenario of always JUST missing the monster for another couple passes before the door closes and you are on your way.

The DIP scene starts with a bunch of un-ruly Toons having a food fight in the hotel's banquet hall. The Weasels then crash through the ceiling, wielding guns that contain DIP. The weasels, by the way, are all dressed up as hotel security. Anyways, basically what ensues is a fight between the Toons and the Weasels, with a couple Toons being "DIP'd" in the process. In the midst of this conflict, a weasel notices your elevator and aims a DIP gun directly at us before the doors close.

The last scene opens with what appears to be just a standard mirror. The now classic DCA mirror effect is done, but then, an even more high tech effect is created. All your reflections, when the lighting flashes, don't get turned into ghosts, but rather Toon like projections. The glass of the large mirror then lowers, unknown to guests because as it does green mist starts POURING into the elevator, and in a very creepy effect the elevator actually seems to move through the mirror. Once "through the looking glass", you see that this "mirror" world is just completely backwards. Nothing is where it's supposed to be (think Alice's upside down room, but more extreme and not just stuff on the ceiling) you also see that this mirror world is inhabited by obscure, "forgotten" characters such as Oswald. Another gulp of green fog starts filling the elevator, and after another flash, the elevator moves backwards, revealing the mirror, right back in its original state. You are meant to be left with a "What the hell was THAT?" impression.

"Homage" scenes

Finally, the three homage scenes pay respect to the Peanuts, black and white animation, and the Disney Villains, respectively. The Peanuts scene takes place in the same hallway as the Scooby Doo scene, except this time, it's just the Peanuts gang, in their now iconic Halloween costumes, going room to room trick-or-treating. After one room, the famous "I got a rock" exchange takes place. As this is happening, and as Lucy begins calling Linus a block-head for mentioning the Great Pumpkin, green smoke starts to form behind them, and the actual Great Pumpkin rises up, except this one takes on a scary appearance and has sharp teeth and stuff like that. The gang turns around, sees this, and screams. Then, the whole contraption falls apart, and you see Snoopy from up above, literally pulling the strings. All he does is chuckle, and the doors close.

The "Black and White" floor basically consists of a big argument between Olive Oil and Betty Boop, with Pop-Eye in the middle. I've had this idea in my head for a while now, the two girls fighting over Pop Eye, simply because Pop Eye started life as a random character who came in and danced with Betty during one of her shorts, and then appeared in a series of his own with a new girl. What happened between Pop Eye and Betty? Anyways, as the two are arguing, a large "sheet ghost" with red eyes and sharp teeth appears behind them. The three of them turn around and scream, as the sheet lowers to the ground and you see it's actually Casper playing around. "Gotcha" he laughs, as the doors once again close.

Finally, the Villain Room is an all out party in the hotel's event hall. Basically, it's a Villain Convention, and every villain in existence is there. They are all just partying it up. Now...I don't know how appropriate the idea of intoxicated Disney villains are to a family audience, but I think the idea of a drunk Jafar in particular sounds absolutely hilarious. Anyways, this is a rather large room with A LOT of sight gags and details. I can't really describe it, it's more of just..you have to get the general idea. Big party, lots of villains, MAYBE some intoxication, and lots of hilarity.

And I Would Have Gotten Away With it, Too...

Well, those are the show scenes. Remember, you experience three of them randomly, one from each set. After the second scene, lightning flashes and Droopy disappears from your elevator. What happened to Droopy you asked? Well, after the drop sequence, your elevator promptly lands at the bottom floor, and you hear a loud exasperated grunt of pain. the elevator backs up, and you see you have hit Droopy, whose head is pocking out from the classic Scooby Doo monster costume seen tinkering with the elevator in the Hallway scene. Droopy is all tied up in elevator rope, his mask clearly fallen off in the impact. "And I would of gotten away with it, too. If it weren't for you meddling tourists..." he remarks as you exit the elevator.

Now, you might be wondering, exactly what was Droopy trying to "get away with". Well...a big theme of this tower is the running story of the Toons living on the high levels being basically a bunch of vandalizing delinquents. These Toons are actually vandalizing the place because they are "forgotten toons", and Doom has placed them all under house arrest in the tower because they are Toons the public wouldn't be interested in seeing now that Toon Town is open to humans. So, naturally, the high level Toons fight back. Droopy, meanwhile, is just a pitiful bell-hop, miserable as ever. I was thinking, how is it exactly that Droopy takes ALL the crap he takes and never once snaps. Well...what if he decided to join with the Toons on the top floor. Droopy, being a small, depressed dog, doesn't have much in terms of contributions, but he DOES have an entire system of elevators at his disposal being the hotel's chief bell hop. So, he devices a plan to rig the elevators to journey into secret floors and have all kinds of special hiding places and what not for the forgotten Toons to wreck their havoc on the hotel, as they clearly do as seen in the Lobby. Droopy also has to keep up with appearances, however, so he has to still do his job. Unfortunately...through all the incessant rigging he has done to the elevators, the ride up the tower proves to be...unpredictable. And that is the basic story, and overall walk through of our Toon Town Tower Hotel. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed putting it together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
onesentancecontest_zpsperrc3pr.png

The re-boot of the One Sentence Competition has taken place over the last week or so and we've had a dozen or so active contestants producing some great "elevator pitches" for Walt Disney World

It's an open door if anyone wants to do a project or try it out - it's very simple and straightforward - hope to see you there!

-- Coming this Fall --

A Twist in Time: An Imagineering Competition

Join host @tcool123 for a time-traveling adventure through the Disney Parks in this brand new imagineering competition!

Quest for the Diamond Ears
Hosted by @Magic Feather - starting in late-October, will be this unique blend of imagineering infused creativity!

Fall Imagineering Competition Timeline (subject to change)

One Sentence Competition Prompt 5 - due Thursday Sept 8th at 8:00 PM EST
SYWTBAI Project 11 - due Friday Sept 9th at 11:59 PM EST
A Twist in Time: An Imagineering Competition - Sign-Ups Begin Sept 14th
Quest for the Diamond Ears - starting Late-October
Hollywood Studios competition by deere839 - starting mid/late October

Around the World

Walt Disney World 1966
1966revisedmap-png.158538

Progress on this massive project (starting Walt Disney World over from scratch) is coming along well! Everyone and anyone is welcome to pitch ideas to make this WDW shine in its own right.

Walt Disney World 50 Years and Beyond

image-jpeg.149429

A project started by @DlpPhantom that looks to expand Walt Disney World over the next few decades - another innovative project being worked on consistently on the imagineering forum.

Conclusion
With that - we are all caught up on the events going on around the forum. But of course there is always more. If you'd like to create your own thread, or have ideas to contribute to these threads, don't be shy and contribute - the more people we have, the more exciting this place can become with tons of activity streaming in from all over the world.

Thanks for reading and have a good night!
wpid-11-Disney-1021-213308-424.jpg

tcool123

Original Poster
hatlogo_zpscwxatvx7.png

Imagineering Newsletter
November 27, 2016

Introduction
Greetings everyone to this ever exciting newsletter, and welcome to this weekend's Newsletter. In this Newsletter we'll celebrate the end of this wondrous Imagineery year! We'll also look at the last competitions for the 2016 Imagineering season.

Yearly Wrap Up

Imagineering Logo Competition

hatlogo_zpscwxatvx7.png

Last year around this time we hosted the competition of the same premise, and once again we will host it to find the perfect logo for the Imagineer forums for 2017. The current was created by @MonorailRed , and has been used throughout the forums, and in every issue of the Imagineering Newsletter. When the competition goes online, a link will be added below :
Click Me

Imagineering Hall of Fame 2016

imhof-jpg.175960

Once a year around this time the forum gathers to vote on which imagineers deserve to be included into the Hall of Fame. Currently we are going through preliminary voting in order to trim the list of talented imagineers to eight. From there using the forum polling system we will decide on which four imagineers deserve to be included. If you wish to participate you must vote which of the top eight Imagineers you would like to see go past the preliminary round. You have until Tuesday at 9 PM EST.
Click Here To Vote

The Dreamfinder Awards

hqdefault.jpg

An annual tradition returns this year! Hosted by @Sam4D23 for the third time in a row are The Dreamfinder Awards. The Dreamfinder Awards are used to celebrate the cream of the crop in terms of Imagineering proposals we have seen from Deember 2015 - Novemeber 31st 2016. There are multitude of categories some are competition based, but others are not. They are always fun to watch, here are the past ceremonies:

2014 -

2015 -

The Imagineering Calendar
written by @spacemt354

Over the last few weeks and months - the Imagineer Forum has seen several different (and awesome) competition ideas pop up. Competitions can be a ton of fun, and they are the most fun when contestants can participate in them to the best of their abilities. And most competitions that are announced on the forums - have a time period in mind, (for example Jan - Feb)

With several popping up and interested - it might be beneficial and helpful to all of us if we kept an Imagineering Calendar - to provide a visual for the competitions coming up in the next few months and possibly year. This Imagineering Calendar will be updated weekly/monthly in the Newsletters - as a point of reference for potential players for reminders, but also to help visualize how the calendar stacks up on a month to month basis. This will hopefully help members, new and old, see what months are free, or not as crowded, to host a competition, but it will be the host's job to plug their competition into the calendar for all to see.

Any other matters can be discussed individually between the hosts - but ultimately, The Imagineering Calendar will give everyone a comprehensive overview of the competitions coming up.

If any hosts wants to confirm their time periods for the upcoming months/year - they can do so!

Imagineering Events

A Twist in Time

tt_by_tcool123-d922cut.png

Started in late September was A Twist in Time, which is a competition that was in the works for over a year. It was hosted by @tcool123 , and had 12 brave volunteers who braved the ever confusing time travelling challenges and vocabulary. In the end the final three imagineers joined that timelines elite league of Imagineers. @spacemt354 reigned victorious till the very end, and thanks to a few strings pulled by Tcool Labs is in the running for the 2017 Disney Legend Awards of course in that timeline, and not in this one. Although A Twist In Time is officially over you can still participate! If you were participating in the comeptition or just watching along you can take a survey which will help the future shape the past. Just click the link below :
Feedback for A Twist in Time

Quest for the Diamond Ears

image-jpeg.172418

Quest for the Diamond Ears is hosted by @Magic Feather and is the last competition that will count toward the point total for 2016. Imagineers have traveled around the world visiting the international resorts. All in the name of science of course. Currently Imagineers are overseas creating a replacement for the Gran Fiesta Tour with the Three Caberellos at the Mexico Pavilion at Epcot. Who knows where this competition will lead to? I mean other than @Magic Feather who has the story down, and knows what's next. Stay tuned till the end to find out who wins!

On the Horizon

Option1.png

Upon the successful change of history Tcool Labs has been able to create in 2016 with the help of countless of volunteers who have in turn been incorporated into that timeline's long list of great imagineers. However Tcool Labs has found large time time rifts at California along with all around Florida. A new expedition is already being planned to go off, and fix the time rifts. Expect more information as 2017 goes on.

Imagineering Spotlight

screen-shot-2016-10-26-at-3-27-57-pm-png.171710

Where did you get your idea for the "Eisner's Game"?
I saw @MonorailRed ‘s 1966 brainstorming project and @DisneyManOne ‘s League of Dreamers brainstorming project/competition, and I thought to myself “Well there’s a past and present project. You know what would be different -- a future one!” So, I thought about designing a giant brainstorming thread devoted to creating a futuristic theme park - probably in space, but I never took action on the idea. Then, months later, I was sitting on a 4 hour bus ride to a band contest, and the idea to turn my brainstorming idea into a competition. I PMed Space and Red, and they suggested that I host in December. Things spiraled, and now it’s the year-end forum event.

What sets your competition apart from the other competitions from 2016?
There’s a couple things that make it different. One is that it’s set in the future. Another is the whole concept of a movie thread. The last is the way it's formatted. Round One is like the “League of Dreamers,” where everyone works together. Round Two is teams, much like Magic Feather’s “Quest for the Diamond Ears.” Round Three is individual, much like tcool123’s “A Twist in Time.” It truly reflects the year of 2016 in the armchair imagineering world.

What are your hopes for the Eisner's Game?
I mainly hope that people will have fun. That means I have been doing my job right, and that this year ended with a band which is my goal.

Now if I may be so bold, could you possibly reveal a challenge or possibly give a hint?
I’ll give a hint. To all competitors, think about a recent IP with space and Disney. Round One draws inspiration from that IP. Only a couple more days :)

Well there you have it folks an interview with @kmbmw777 on the last competition of this calendar year, and the first of the 2017 Imagineering year. If you wish to be a part of this competition just sign up at the link below, but be warned there's only one spot left! The Eisner's Game starts December 1st.
The Eisner's Game

The Imagineering Calendar 2017
Just say when your competition is either by PM to me or @spacemt354 or by posting it in this thread, and we'll add it to the calendar :D

January 2017

February 2017

March 2017

April 2017

May 2017

June 2017

July 2017

August 2017
- A Twist in Time Season 2 Sign Up

September 2017
- A Twist in Time Season 2

October 2017

November 2017

December 2017

Conclusion

I hope everyone had a fun time reading along, and don't fret we are going to hopefully possibly maybe probably have one or more newsletters ready for this year. See you all next time, but until then stay imagineery everyone!​

Last edited:

RMichael21

@Disneylover152 @DlpPhantom @RMichael21 @TheOriginalTiki

tagging you guys/gals in order to confirm what months you are aiming your competition to be contained in, this is just for the calendar to make it easier for those who want to compete to see what's happening. Plus it'll help for people who are planning competitions to see what time frame is empty.
Expect signups for my Amazing Race competition to begin June 10th, with the actual competition beginning June 16th! :)

spacemt354

Chili's
Generally the first comp of the year goes on from January to March, so perhaps SYWTBAI can end in mid-March so there's not much interference with Figment's comp :)
I know youve been in and out the last few weeks, but just so you know, next year due to the number of people who have expressed interest in hosting competitons as of late, there most likely will be overlap of comps in any given month, particularly Jan - April based on the current outlook.

FigmentPigments

Generally the first comp of the year goes on from January to March, so perhaps SYWTBAI can end in mid-March so there's not much interference with Figment's comp :)
If it helps any, this will be similar to the House Cup so anybody can join at any time. So there's no rush to finish SYWTBAI. If any of the eliminated contestants want to join afterwards they can, but there will be no pressure to be in two competitions at the same time. I hope that was helpful. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom