United Airline offering new Economy class

Bandini

Original Poster
According to their website, United will be offering a lower fare. Passengers will only be allowed one carry on that fits under their seat and they will not receive a seat assignment until their travel day. United is discouraging families with young children from purchasing these tickets, since they will most likely be separated.

Simba's Mom

Do they receive a seat assignment on travel day? I thought I read that the Economy class did not have any seat assignments, and had to be the last to board the plane and take whatever seats were left. United is one of only two airlines at our airport (unless we want to drive a "mere" 260 miles to a major airport-nothing like living at the end of the world, or at least the US) so I've been following this closely. Driving to WDW looks better and better, even though it's 1300 miles.

Pixie VaVoom

Yep, Welcome to "Pariah" class of airline tickets....but still give us a lions share of your MONEY !!

This reminds me of a story told by motivational speaker "Leo Buscaglia"... his huge italian extended family wanted to to take grandma to Hawaii, so they all saved up and got tickets on a "super econony rate" at the back of the plane etc. But they had a BLAST. Plane takes off and they are telling each other stories, joking around, playing cards and enjoying each other. Then, they open up their lunch hampers... Up in FIRST CLASS the snooty folk are tapping their lukewarm, plasticy, slimey airline chicken, and chasing their 4 green beans around their plastic plates with their airline issue FIRST CLASS "spork" !! . In the back of the plane Buscaglia's family is chowing down on homemade foccacia, cold roasted terragon chicken, proscuitto and cheese, figs and pears, and homemade cannoli. Now there's a family with some spirit !!

Bandini

Original Poster
Do they receive a seat assignment on travel day? I thought I read that the Economy class did not have any seat assignments, and had to be the last to board the plane and take whatever seats were left. United is one of only two airlines at our airport (unless we want to drive a "mere" 260 miles to a major airport-nothing like living at the end of the world, or at least the US) so I've been following this closely. Driving to WDW looks better and better, even though it's 1300 miles.
Yes, seat assignments will be issued on the day of travel and this group will be the last to board the plane. I guess it could be a great deal if you have only 1 carry on that fits under the seat and the ticket fare is substantially lower so that it's still a lot less expensive with the checked bag fee. Otherwise, I can't imagine this fare being attractive.

DisneyPrincess5

Thanks for the info @Bandini
So when they say one carry on that fits under the seat, does that mean no overhead compartment? No ability to check a bag? I love Southwest but I dislike not being able to choose a seat upon purchase. We always end up getting the A boarding status but that's boarding then picking your own seatstill...I'm not sure I would like this process described here.

Bandini

Original Poster
Thanks for the info @Bandini
So when they say one carry on that fits under the seat, does that mean no overhead compartment? No ability to check a bag? I love Southwest but I dislike not being able to choose a seat upon purchase. We always end up getting the A boarding status but that's boarding then picking your own seatstill...I'm not sure I would like this process described here.
You can check a bag, but there will be a fee. Yup, no overhead access on the plane. I think United will have to offer a pretty big savings for people to select this fare.

DisneyPrincess5

You can check a bag, but there will be a fee. Yup, no overhead access on the plane. I think United will have to offer a pretty big savings for people to select this fare.
Wow yes that is what it's sounding like. That'll definitely be great for many travelers! While I dislike not having seats I'll check this out next time we travel. Thanks for the heads up.

Otterhead

Otherwise, I can't imagine this fare being attractive.
I can see single travelers with no carry-on finding this to be attractive in theory, except that it's United, whose reputation for delayed and canceled flights has become terrible. The assumption I've read on travel websites is that the theory behind these fares is to offer super-low sounding fares to draw people in, then offer incremental upgrades once they realize how lousy the terms of the fare are. "Want seats together? Sure, that's only $25 more. Want to check a bag? $25. Want a seat assignment? Sure, that's another $50." And pretty soon you're paying out the nose for your 'discounted' fare.

Bandini

Original Poster
I can see single travelers with no carry-on finding this to be attractive in theory, except that it's United, whose reputation for delayed and canceled flights has become terrible. The assumption I've read on travel websites is that the theory behind these fares is to offer super-low sounding fares to draw people in, then offer incremental upgrades once they realize how lousy the terms of the fare are. "Want seats together? Sure, that's only $25 more. Want to check a bag? $25. Want a seat assignment? Sure, that's another $50." And pretty soon you're paying out the nose for your 'discounted' fare.
Seems like that's already happening... at least on American. I had to pay an additional $90 roundtrip to avoid a middle seat. Pretty soon, I expect them to start offering seats in the luggage hold (oxygen masks provided for an additional charge). It reminds me of resort fees.

dreamfinder

This sounds alot to me like Spirit. Basically you get to fly with your body, and the clothes on your back. Anything else is an upcharge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom