Toy Story Land at Shanghai

No Name

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/11/shanghai-disneyland-breaks-ground-on-toy-story-land/

The part that caught my eye most: Shanghai Disneyland’s new Toy Story Land will be an experience guests can only have in Mainland China.

That line does cause me to believe, or at least hope, that their TSL will have some unique attraction.

I'm no more excited for the land though. Even if it's not a clone, it's still more than likely cheap rides and a cheaply-themed environment. In a park as big as SDL I suppose it can't hurt, but the money could be put to better use. As is the case with all current and upcoming iterations of the land.

If TSMM is or has been added to the plans, then I'll be more cheery. But again, I doubt it. Is it even still coming to Paris?

Last edited:

Franklin47disneyguy

Its definitely a different version than the one in Paris and Hong Kong because that one was constructed in Paris in less then 7 months. I think they are going all out and have new attractions designed special for this park. The financial figures looking good the Chinese love the park. I think a third resort in China is coming in the foreseeable future also because the were rumors that the WDC was in negotiations with the City of Chengdu. We will see what is true of that.

cheezbat

Whoopee. Another Toy Story Land. Of course this was originally planned to come to the park so it's no surprise.

Does this annoy anyone else that Shanghai Disney will have 7 lands in their castle park and yet the Magic Kingdom dropped back to 6? (The only other castle park with less than MK is Disneyland Paris!)

No Name

Does this annoy anyone else that Shanghai Disney will have 7 lands in their castle park and yet the Magic Kingdom dropped back to 6? (The only other castle park with less than MK is Disneyland Paris!)

The number of lands means nothing, it is simply how Disney chooses to name and advertise each section of the park. In MK, Storybook Circus isn't counted as a seperate land. Yet if Toontown was, Storybook Circus certainly could've been. Disney just made the decision to consider it part of Fantasyland.

In Shanghai, Toy Story land could've been considered a part of Fantasyland, just as Storybook Circus is in MK.

My point is, how many "lands" the company chooses to divide the park into has no effect on the quality of the park itself, and therfore, it should not bother you.

cheezbat

The number of lands means nothing, it is simply how Disney chooses to name and advertise each section of the park. In MK, Storybook Circus isn't counted as a seperate land. Yet if Toontown was, Storybook Circus certainly could've been. Disney just made the decision to consider it part of Fantasyland.

In Shanghai, Toy Story land could've been considered a part of Fantasyland, just as Storybook Circus is in MK.

My point is, how many "lands" the company chooses to divide the park into has no effect on the quality of the park itself, and therfore, it should not bother you.
I know, but seven lands just seems more 'perfect' compared to six...especially seeing as how the park used to have seven lands...and Toontown was a better fit than Storybook Circus in my opinion. (Man I really miss Mickey's house!)

No Name

I just realized that the etch-a-sketch in the background actually shows a rough sketch of what TSL will look like. Credit to a comment on themeparkinsider.com.

Compare that to this leaked map from back before the park opened. This, the list that Spirit leaked three years ago, and the grand opening ceremony photo line up very well, so it doesn't look like there were any significant changes made to the plans.

Woody's Roundup seems to be the only unique attraction. That's maybe where "experience guests can only have in Mainland China" is justified. To me, Woody's Roundup actually looks like it'll be a ride, but Spirit's leaked list has it as a show. We shall see.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Disneylover152

I kind of doubt it's going to be an "experience guests can only have in Mainland China". This is what I'm kind of hoping for (very unrealistic, but whatever)
  • "Woody's Round Up"- a version of Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
  • "RC Racer"- A dual-racing roller coaster where two versions of RC race each other
  • "Untitled Trackless Dark Ride about Green Army Men"- a ride, similar to the Ratatouille ride, but you are going on a mission with the Green Army Men
I hope their is a restaurant themed to "Pizza Planet" and a restaurant where you can dine inside Bonnie's or Andy's Room.

Disneylover152

Do we know for sure yet what rides or how many we are getting in this version of TSL?

Screen-Shot-2016-05-25-at-11.37.51-PM.png

30808731671_0838f1f986_o.jpg

The original Shanghai Disneyland plans had Toy Story Land. In the original plans, their were 3 rides (Rex's Racer, Slinky Dog Spin, and the Woody's Round up (mater's junkyard jamboree) style ride. I'm not sure if plans are going to change, but I hope its all new, not off-the shelf rides. That's probably not gonna happen!

No Name

It's been said in other threads but not here, so I thought I'd point out that Toy Story Land is already partially built and opened. Looking at the photo below (and comparing it to the map and etchasketch) you can see that two of the buildings which will become a part of TSL are already constructed and not walled off!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The one with the reddish umbrellas, which will become Toy Box Cafe, is called Celebration Cafe right now. This is a picture from before the official opening day. While that looks terrible, do not worry, it is fully painted now.

image.jpeg

The green building houses bathrooms, water fountains, and first aid. Again, this picture is from before the official opening day.

image.jpeg

These will both become part of Toy Story Land when it opens. Celebration Cafe will have to be rethemed, while this building above will not. There are metal bar fences and areas of dirt around both, but when they become part of TSL, I expect themed fences and vegetation to replace those.

So there's the current state of the land. These pictures are not my own. If anyone has or finds better ones, of course, please share.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom