Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon

surfsupdon

Got an email with a survey about my post race party plans. Bet Epcot will be mobbed that night with the overlap 8pm party entrance to 930ishpm closing.

Still no gift card email tho.

fvrs7189

I was just looking at NB virtual queue. When I went for Marathon weekend, they utilized this. It is still saying Disneyland 1/2. Does anyone know if they will be using the virtual queue for wine and dine weekend?

dreamfinder

I was just looking at NB virtual queue. When I went for Marathon weekend, they utilized this. It is still saying Disneyland 1/2. Does anyone know if they will be using the virtual queue for wine and dine weekend?

Most likely, but I seem to recall it gets updated a day before the expo.

Monorail Lime

We fly out tomorrow morning and I have my party ticket but my girlfriend's never came. Same address. :mad: Guess we'll be waiting in line at the expo Welcome Center tomorrow.

Monorail Lime

Expo feels pretty dead this afternoon. We were out in about an hour and that included picking up the missing party ticket and buying merchandise.

Apparently a lot of people didn't get their party ticket but at least the process for picking up the replacement was very smooth. Kudos to rundisney for that.

Figment82

Stopped by the expo after work today. No lines at bib and shirt pickup - I was amazed! I got a round of applause from the volunteers when I received my "perfect" bib, which was fun. The color scheme on the bib has blue/green instead of the "wine" red/gray - I love it! Might be my favorite design so far, and I like it a lot better than the shirt (gray, really?).

I've been dealing with some awful shin splints lately, which is a major bummer. Trying lots of massaging and ice, and keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't hold me up too much.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hope everyone had a great time and did well. The gift card certificate came in an email that needs to be printed. I'm hoping I can use it for our just planned trip for Thanksgiving with the entire family - both sets of parents.

Unfortunately, I had to cancel my plans. My cat suddenly got really sick, stopped eating for nearly a week right before the race. So after 3 visits to the vet in as many days, 3 sets of xrays, every blood test possible...and three of them...and an ultrasound...the vet still didn't know what was wrong. And I'm $1640 poorer. But she finally started eating food again the Monday before I was scheduled to leave. Which is good, because the next step was exploratory intestinal surgery and biopsy and insertion of a feeding tube. My daughter was going to take care of my baby, but since the vet didn't have a clue what the problem was and I was concerned about a relapse, I cancelled. Fortunately, I talked to a sympathetic CMS who got me a refund of my deposit for my resort, so all I lost was my entry fees. But my cat is better and that dark weekend I thought that this might be it for her is past.

So now it's on to training for Princess Half Weekend!

surfsupdon

It was a nice weekend. As predicted, the course route was terrible and the on course entertainment was very subpar. What was once the pinnacle of the runDisney races, the new WineDine weekend stunk big time. Hope we get another night race with an afterparty. It seemed many were upset.

I still enjoyed the weekend, do not get me wrong. It was def not as good, however.

I did finish with a new record of 1:38.39!!!

surfsupdon

Wine&Dine Expo 2016 was easy breezy. Brought my proof of time with me, and got Corral change into A! Nicest lady. Also got my gift card which was easy....apparently an issue with aol emails.

The 10K was a great course. Love the Yacht Beach BoardWalk loop and World Showcase.

The Half was a boring course on highway with little entertainment. But I knew/figured that going into the event. It was tough. But the nature/sunrise was beautiful.

In other news, ClifBar Pace groups were not invited. Jeff Galloway wanted "Galloway Pacers" who do the run-walk principle. The fastest group was 1:45, and that was 5mins run 30secs walk (they said). I run with the ClifBar groups so it was unfortunate that they were advertised and then dropped. I wanted to run the whole course, and a ClifBar 1:35 pace would have been appreciated. The Galloway Pacer who I spoke with at the expo said rD did not even want them to participate, but Galloway pushed for them to be included. I hope ClifBar makes it back in. For anyone who has not run with a pace group--they are awesome.

The afterparty had a tired, lame vibe to it. People seemed lethargic, as opposed to that high on life runners high you get immediately after a race. Even if you are sore, you are energized to party! The party was packed, something early finishers are not used to when you can beat the crowds in post race. Also, the characters at Epcot were sparse....the old format had more, usually 1 or a group at each country. Ride times were still very low, which was a plus.

Overall, Wine and Dine was once my favorite race weekend since its inception. My memories of the past are great. This new course and afterparty were far inferior.

dreamfinder

In other news, ClifBar Pace groups were not invited. Jeff Galloway wanted "Galloway Pacers" who do the run-walk principle. The fastest group was 1:45, and that was 5mins run 30secs walk (they said). I run with the ClifBar groups so it was unfortunate that they were advertised and then dropped. I wanted to run the whole course, and a ClifBar 1:35 pace would have been appreciated. The Galloway Pacer who I spoke with at the expo said rD did not even want them to participate, but Galloway pushed for them to be included. I hope ClifBar makes it back in. For anyone who has not run with a pace group--they are awesome.

Was ClifBar not invited? Or did they choose to not come? I'm shocked that runDisney chose to not have faster pacers. I've never been a huge fan of the Galloway pacers, nothing against the method, but the pace groups don't seem to be conscious of the others around them.

surfsupdon

Was ClifBar not invited? Or did they choose to not come? I'm shocked that runDisney chose to not have faster pacers. I've never been a huge fan of the Galloway pacers, nothing against the method, but the pace groups don't seem to be conscious of the others around them.
According to Galloway pacer at 1:45 time....ClifBar was not invited because rD did not want any pacers at all, but Galloway flexed his muscles to get his group of pacers in there.

I always see a great deal of runners with the ClifBar pace groups, so I was surprised to hear this!! They were great. Like I said, I was very upset with the only pace group option being a run-walk-run group.

dreamfinder

According to Galloway pacer at 1:45 time....ClifBar was not invited because rD did not want any pacers at all, but Galloway flexed his muscles to get his group of pacers in there.

I always see a great deal of runners with the ClifBar pace groups, so I was surprised to hear this!! They were great. Like I said, I was very upset with the only pace group option being a run-walk-run group.

I hope this was a one off thing. I don't see January on the Clif Bar Pace Team site, but they don't have anything listed after December. Wouldn't be happy at all with a marathon distance race (especially one of this size) not having pacers.

Texas84

Finished the Challenge and even got in a round of golf at the Palm course after the 10K. Then celebrated at Morimoto with the family. I spent about $130. Yikes. But can't wait to go back. Nightcap at Jock's then a good night's sleep Sunday.

I actually enjoyed this race running on the wide open streets. Yes, the entertainment is underwhelming but that has been a long term runDisney trend. Maybe this will go back to a night race after the DHS construction is done in 5 years, or 10, or whatever...

They need to get rid of the runDisney audio visual club and get some professional help. What a disaster. :D

Loved AK at pre-dawn with the Tree of Life show. Lots of surprised reactions there. And the tourists on Bear Island was a marathon weekend flashback. Love them. Were they pumping out perfume at the waste plant?

kevlightyear

I for one much preferred this year's post race party time. Last year's was a crowded mess. This year was much more relaxing and lines at the booths were reasonable! Also, who wants to go to the parks when you're all sweaty and gross? AND carry around your medals and snacks and everything? No thanks.

I loved the 10K course. I would have liked to get to the park sooner, but it gave me something to look forward to. The half course was just ok. I actually liked running on Bear Island Road. It was quiet, and the curves kept it from feeling crazy long. World Drive is the pits, and the hills at the end of the race were rough. I didn't have a good race as my feet and ankles were hurting, but that encouraged me to stop for more pictures than I usually do. I also really liked the photopass pictures. Having an annual pass and being able to download them within 24 hours was awesome! Really well done there.

Disappointed in the race merch, though. Why Disney can't figure out how much to stock baffles me. There was practically nothing when I went to expo Friday afternoon, a likely time for people doing the challenge. However, I loved the race shirts and the medals are awesome! The 10K doesn't need to be as big as the half medal, though. Both are about the same size as my marathon medal from 2015. Did you guys figure out Lumiere's flames glow in the dark on the challenge medal! Cool!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom