Doctor Strange

TB4244

The 3D version was quite intense in places. Not good for those with motion sickness!
Kinda weird hearing Benedict with an American accent but still I give it top marks.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Saw it in imax 3D... Visually very cool

The movie was good... But I wouldn't call it great. A piece of entertainment, but not eager to see it again.. Or a sequel

The origin story was engaging.... The villain? Not so much

I know it's a super hero movie... But a story still has to have some connection to believability IMO to stick. I think this film lacked that.

One closing comment... They certainly don't seem to vet who they train very well :)

Greenlawler

I thought it was okay...

I am a Dr Strange fan and the origin story was close enough....the scene after the credits, the one after all the credits ran, not the first credits, was important and set up the sequel. They usually throw a lighthearted second credit scene but not this one.

If I were ranking the MCU movies 1-14 this one would probably be like 7th.

SosoDude

I thought it was good. It is an origin movie, and I felt it ranks somewhere between Captain America and Thor. I think a sequel will have the possibility to be even better than the original. Now that the origin is out of the way, I hope to see Dr. Strange cross over into many of other MCU movies.

Jahona

I thought it was good. It is an origin movie, and I felt it ranks somewhere between Captain America and Thor. I think a sequel will have the possibility to be even better than the original. Now that the origin is out of the way, I hope to see Dr. Strange cross over into many of other MCU movies.

I believe he is slated to appear in Thor Ragnarok. Hence the little teaser at the end. This might change after the success of this film but he isn't slated to receive a sequel film.

I thought for an origin story it was good. My biggest gripe was with how Baron Mordu was portrayed. His decent at the end of the film felt rushed and to me didn't make sense.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
I believe he is slated to appear in Thor Ragnarok. Hence the little teaser at the end. This might change after the success of this film but he isn't slated to receive a sequel film.

I thought for an origin story it was good. My biggest gripe was with how Baron Mordu was portrayed. His decent at the end of the film felt rushed and to me didn't make sense.
The second end credits scene hints at a sequel.

WhatJaneSays

There are several slated Marvel movies, whose titles have not been released yet. One of those could very well be the sequel.

We're kind of due for another MCU press event to announce some new things. I'm not expecting it this year but I might think to hear something by Spring.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Haven't seen the movie yet, but having read the comics back in the day--

• When I first heard BC as Dr Strange, I balked
  • When I heard Tilda Swinton, I flipped.
  • Recently, the trailers I've seen have intrigued me
  • Each successive trailer has been even more interesting
I'll say this, I'm eagerly awaiting seeing the movie.

Epcotfan21

Nah, there isn't one slated for the current phase of Marvel movies. Baron Mordu most likely will show up as a main or side villain in a future movie.
So when they say in the credits that Dr Strange will return, I thought it implied a sequel, but you think they just mean he'll return in another MCU movie? I figure everyone will be in Infinity Wars, so I'd be willing to bet he'll show up there and obviously will have a part (maybe brief) in the next Thor movie.

Jahona

So when they say in the credits that Dr Strange will return, I thought it implied a sequel, but you think they just mean he'll return in another MCU movie? I figure everyone will be in Infinity Wars, so I'd be willing to bet he'll show up there and obviously will have a part (maybe brief) in the next Thor movie.

Yep pretty much.

The end credit's scene was directed by director of Thor Ragnarok. There have been a few leaks and hints dropped during the filming of the next thor that tie into Dr. Strange. If the good Dr. was to get another movie it would most likely be in Phase 4 after the infinity war.

Matt_Black

They do that in case the film doesn't do enough to merit a sequel, in which case they'll find a way to work the character in other films to fulfill the multi-film contract that many of the actors sign.

Animaniac93-98

I'll be very annoyed if this movie doesn't win the Oscar for Best Visual Effects. Special effects are not just about what you can do, but how you choose to do them. This movie was not afraid to be psychedelic, disorienting, colourful and even ugly at times, despite knowing it had to appeal to a mainstream audience who would normally balk at such things. And never once did I think the effects looked unconvincing, despite their unusual nature. I know every movie these days has an army of FX computer people working for them, but this team really earned their credits. Having said all of this, I'm really glad I did not see the movie in 3D. I can handle rides of 5 minutes or less just fine, but this would have been a bit much in places.

On this story itself, I knew nothing about the characters or their world before going into this, but enjoyed it very much and did appreciate the origin approach for this reason. I also know of the political/economic resons for changing "the ancient one", but when you cast someone like Tilda Swinton you know the role is going to be played with a level of professionalism and creative respect. The trope of "white man discovers mysterious East" may be offensive or seem tired to some, but I felt it worked here because the "mysteries" clearly transcend basic cultural traditions and involve characters of different backgrounds and geographic locations.

On a sadder note, this was easily the worst audience I've ever sat through a movie with. Talking and texting through the entire thing and even taking flash photos during the end credits. It wasn't just one person or group, but several around the theatre (which wasn't even that busy). You can make all the PSAs you want about how to behave in a theatre, but you can't fix a certain level of stupidity and selfishness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom