Disney Hong Kong to get Iron Man Ride...

lazyboy97o

As it said multiple times in the article, Hong Kong needs some serious help right now. There isn't enough attendance and the park is losing money. Disney have to act fast and improve it before they lose anymore money, which ultimately affects the entire company (including WDW).
The park is not loosing money anymore because the aggressive expansion worked. The Walt Disney Company also owns just under half of the Resort.

WED99

The park is not loosing money anymore because the aggressive expansion worked. The Walt Disney Company also owns just under half of the Resort.
According to the article (which is what I'm basing all my facts on) the park only profited $14 million, which is not a lot.

lazyboy97o

Sorry I'm bumping this thread almost 3 years later, didn't want to start a new one for no real reason, but does anyone have any updates on this? The ride apparently started testing in May (http://news-en.hongkongdisneyland.c...?AssetId=78b701f7-9034-4257-bf4b-ffa1805544cd) and is slated to open in "2016," so has anyone heard anything?
The exit shop has opened.
http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2016/10/hong-kong-disneyland-update-iron-man.html?m=1

It did have a net loss last year, largely because attendance dropped by about 10%.
Yes, but that was not the case two years ago.

Bairstow

Meanwhile, Dubai has beaten them to the punch:

Anybody know who built this for IMG?
The CGI and ride hardware surely came from some familiar faces.

lazyboy97o

Meanwhile, Dubai has beaten them to the punch:

Anybody know who built this for IMG?
The CGI and ride hardware surely came from some familiar faces.

I am fairly certainFalcon's Treehouse was the lead creative group for the park and has been involved with the Dubai Marvel project for years in its various iterations.

No Name

Yes, but that was not the case two years ago.

Sure, yes, that is true. It had a nice year-to-year increase in attendance and profit due to the expansion, before it dropped last year.

But you said that it is no longer losing money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all signs point to the park still losing money. What we've heard from the Bobs in recent quarterly reports does not sound good. I'll be paying attention on Nov. 10th when the next quarterly report is given.

The recent drop does have me a bit concerned and so I'd love for things to bounce back up.

GiveMeTheMusic

You were expecting a robocoaster?

I'd expect something that was an actual ride and not a rethemed Star Tours, especially since a groundbreaking Iron Man E-Ticket was in development for DL's Tomorrowland and then abandoned. I'm sure this had something to do with how much Hong Kong SAR wanted to spend on this addition, but it still seems like a large missed opportunity in a park that can't afford missed opportunities.

lazyboy97o

Sure, yes, that is true. It had a nice year-to-year increase in attendance and profit due to the expansion, before it dropped last year.

But you said that it is no longer losing money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all signs point to the park still losing money. What we've heard from the Bobs in recent quarterly reports does not sound good. I'll be paying attention on Nov. 10th when the next quarterly report is given.

The recent drop does have me a bit concerned and so I'd love for things to bounce back up.
I made that comment in November 2013.

No Name

I made that comment in November 2013.

Aaaayyyyyyy.... my bad. I apologize. :facepalm: Stupid of me not to realize, especially since it's not the first time I've made that mistake.

Alright everyone carry on... Iron Man Experience. Excites me relatively little, but hopefully it will excite Hong Kongers and improve the park.

Last edited:

Bairstow

I'd expect something that was an actual ride and not a rethemed Star Tours, especially since a groundbreaking Iron Man E-Ticket was in development for DL's Tomorrowland and then abandoned. I'm sure this had something to do with how much Hong Kong SAR wanted to spend on this addition, but it still seems like a large missed opportunity in a park that can't afford missed opportunities.

It's also a safe bet. The last thing they need is something with Gringotts-style technical teething pains.
I think the attraction could actually be pretty cool if it ups the resolution and framerate from what was seen on Star Tours 2.
Especially if it has a couple StormRider-style tricks up is sleeve.

Iwerks64

Wow, I love how the one day I decide to post about this is the one day I don't check disneyandmore. Haha funny coincidence, but thank you for posting the link!

I was at HKDL last Sunday. The ride looks ready to open. Wait sign posted, no sign of construction, but entrance blocked off with planters. Alas, it was still not open.

jmuboy

I am going to HK for a week on vacation. Several trips to Asia but first time to HK and HKDL. I will be in the park on 11/22. I am hoping this ride is open by then. They can't have tech issues with this ride???

cheezbat

So much for 2016...

How can this take so long? These style simulators were created like 30 years ago. Ancient technology. Not something brand new.

Jones14

So much for 2016...

How can this take so long? These style simulators were created like 30 years ago. Ancient technology. Not something brand new.
Totally 100% a guess, but perhaps they want to open something new in order to draw crowds after the busier Christmas season. Hong Kong still struggles to pull in the crowds, and I could see them pushing the opening back in order to help massage the numbers for the beginning of next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom